Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

so, is crime going up or down

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/3914289.stm

12% rise in violent crime and 1% overall according to the police record

but the British crime survey shows a 5% drop

on the news this morning it was quite interesting listening to the arguments against each survey, but one is left not knowing what is the correct figure.

for me, it comes down to what i have experienced, on this premise, in my street crime is non-existent, i have not been affected by any criminal acts, neither a rise or a fall.

the other interesting point was the fri/sat night thing on the high street. that is one thing i avoid, the street turns into a "cattle market", which being on the fringe of, ie not drunk, is frightening. i know several homeless people who have fallen foul of a kicking because they are in the "wrong place".

so do people think crime is their area is going up or down and what can be done about the high street stampede?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    This morning saw a classic episode where some newspapers managed to claim crime is going up up up and others that is going down down down. And they were all using the same official figures.

Perhaps we should stick to the Daily Sport or something in hope of a more objective (if not very comprehensive) reporting. :rolleyes:
    the 2 crime surveys are done in different ways i believe, the police one is just a annual number of reports filed, whilst the other one is a long term survey which covers bogus claims but doesnt cover crime against under 16s etc im not sure, i read it in a paper today

my personal opnion is most crime has lowered in rates, and the ones people notice most hasprobably stayed the same, but as fear of crime has increased, it makes people think theres more than really
    People always seem to think it's worse now than it used to be anyway. The 'in the old days...' mentality and that...