Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

DEC Sudan emergency appeal.

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Has anyone actually donated to this? It's taking over the TV just lately.

Comments

• Options
    Re: DEC Sudan emergency appeal.
    Originally posted by Capacity
    Has anyone actually donated to this? It's taking over the TV just lately.
    yes ...about three weeks ago.
    it's absolutely dreadful.
    there are also a round one and a half million in southern asia at the moment sitting on roof tops or dying in the flowing waters or flowing mud right this moment ...
    it's a fucking hard wor;d we live in ...well ...the other fucking 9/10ths of the worlds population who have more important things to worry about.
  • Options
    We had a collection at work, I put in a couple of quid.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Bri-namite
    We had a collection at work, I put in a couple of quid. [/
    i'll bet a anyone any ammount of money you want to name that right this moment ...there are mums and dads ...brothers and sisters ...strangers and visitors ...praying that someone somewhere will chuck 10p in a can for them ...
    we have to do it ....if everyone in the UK gave a quid tomorrow ...a lot of fucking prayers will have been answered ...and if your worried about getting ripped off for a quid ...
  • Options
    I haven't been out except to my friends but if I do and see someone collecting I will give a couple of quid/spare change to it,
  • Options
    I donated £20 online this evening, I saw a piece on the news saying that £14 (or round about that) could provide water-sanitising tablets and some other things, for one family. It made me really upset, so I had to give something. Makes you feel so guilty about the things you moan about not having, doesn't it? And rightly so I suppose.

Only other thing I do is sponsor a child through ActionAid...he sends me letters and postcards (or the charity do on his behalf anyway) and I get photos and progress reports on him. Makes me dead chuffed when I hear from him, and on a selfish level, it assuages a little bit of my guilt about what I have and what they don't have :(
  • Options
    Originally posted by Hellfire
    I haven't been out except to my friends but if I do and see someone collecting I will give a couple of quid/spare change to it,
    noooo ...be very carefull of street collecters.
    not saying there all bad but be wary.

picture this ...so simple you'll not bother doing it ...
    the millions upon millions upon millions of people who live in the western weorld ...from the wealthiest to the poorest ...
    on top of any cash that is already happening ...every fucking single one of us ...dedicarted ourselves to giving ten pence every day of our lives to shifting causes ...the ammount of money generated would solve ....how many problems of pain and desperation?
    it is down to us.
  • Options
    To be honest, I could only really afford a couple of quid this week. A few people put in about a fiver or so, and I felt kinda bad because it was only what I had in my pocket.

Oh well.
  • Options
    Originally posted by briggi

, and on a selfish level,
    there isn't enough of this kind of selfishness around though.
    i think you make a mistake though in calling it selfishness ...i call it consciousness ...wish i could spell that ... you feel ...your aware ...your grateful ...
    sadly ...i see with the eyes in my face ....less and less of that consciouness ...we need to build a global mind ...but look around at the kind of people who would end up controlling it ...and us.
    ok ramblke over.
    ranble over.
    fucking hell!
    r.a.m.b.l.e.
  • Options
    To be honest, I could only really afford a couple of quid this week. A few people put in about a fiver or so, and I felt kinda bad because it was only what I had in my pocket.

Oh well.

No way should you feel bad, only give within your means. It's about the act of charity and giving up something trivial you would have bought with the money, in order to help others.

It's not a competition, and it's a great thing to be giving anything at all. It's like that old bible story where the rich people give lots of money and make a grand old show of it, and the poor widow gives her only coin but it means so much more because of the proportion of her wealth it was.

Anyway, no one wants to hear a bible story...just don't want you to feel bad :)
  • Options
    Originally posted by morrocan roll
    there isn't enough of this kind of selfishness around though.
    i think you make a mistake though in calling it selfishness ...i call it consciousness ...wish i could spell that ... you feel ...your aware ...your grateful ...
    sadly ...i see with the eyes in my face ....less and less of that consciouness ...we need to build a global mind ...but look around at the kind of people who would end up controlling it ...and us.
    ok ramblke over.
    ranble over.
    fucking hell!
    r.a.m.b.l.e.

I always check for there I.D or charity numbers etc before donating to street collecters, but I cannot donate online due to lack of credit/debit cards.
  • Options

Oh well.
    you realy need to read the story in the bible about ...'the widows mite.'
    seriously ...not from a religous point of view but from your reality.
    basicaly ...guys with hundreds in their pockets were shoving a fiver in the box ...then along c0mes an old widow ...she sticks two quid in the box and is made to feel guilty.
    jesus is looking on and he he has a go at these smug gits ...
    he says ...'you gave a fiver out of the fifty quid you had in your pocket.'
    this widow gave everything she had ...
  • Options
    I hadn't realised how bad it had gotten until last night. Oxfam send me a letter every few months saying 'give us some more money' and I tend to ignore them. Much to my shame. I have a direct debit set up for them to have £2 a month though.
  • Options
    I havent yet and I feel bad about it, I will donate some money online this weekend when my paycheque comes in.

On the other hand I have been putting in about 4 or 5 hours a week for the last month or so with a charity I strongly believe in here in the UK.
  • Options
    I didnt realise how bad it was til last night. Im gonna give some money :yes:
  • Options
    Originally posted by briggi
    No way should you feel bad, only give within your means. It's about the act of charity and giving up something trivial you would have bought with the money, in order to help others.

You really shouldnt' feel bad at all if you gave what you could afford.

However its pitiful that these people are relying on the charity of others in order to be able to survive; when there is loads of money in the world - it just needs to be distributed a little more fairly. We are not even talking loads of money here - this is a campaign to spend 0.7% of the UK Govenments budget on overseas AID - which isn't really a lot when you think about it:

http://www.bond.org.uk/advocacy/aidindex.htm

x
  • Options
    why should i give them any money its there problem should build dams, why dont they just get jobs and pay for it them selves, to bloody lazy thats why.

not gettin any of my hard earned dosh, will have to just sort it out themselves
  • Options
    Either your not funny, not provocative or your an arse.
  • Options
    They dont deserve any money they dont do nuffin for us if they just used there common sense they wouldnt get cought in floods just 2 stupid, stupid things die, thats life
  • Options
    Never heard of it tbh.
  • Options
    Classic, you bemoan them for being stupid yet you know nothing of the situation yourself and make rash comments about their condition.

Apart from the fact they're not involved in flooding your analysis is perfect.
  • Options
    Re: Re: DEC Sudan emergency appeal.
    Originally posted by morrocan roll
    yes ...about three weeks ago.
    it's absolutely dreadful.
    there are also a round one and a half million in southern asia at the moment sitting on roof tops or dying in the flowing waters or flowing mud right this moment ...
    it's a fucking hard wor;d we live in ...well ...the other fucking 9/10ths of the worlds population who have more important things to worry about.

looks like a flood 2 me "flowing waters" either a flood or they fell in a river in witch case maybe we should give them some money 2 build a bridge or arm bands
  • Options
    If I had the will I'd write some detailed and interesting response. But frankly I cant be bothered and your far from worth the effort.
  • Options
    JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    Re: Re: Re: DEC Sudan emergency appeal.
    Originally posted by russ2001ukH
    looks like a flood 2 me "flowing waters" either a flood or they fell in a river in witch case maybe we should give them some money 2 build a bridge or arm bands

Your profile seems to suggest your 18, while this post suggests your about 6.
  • Options
    They dont deserve any money they dont do nuffin for us if they just used there common sense they wouldnt get cought in floods just 2 stupid, stupid things die, thats life

I've just read www.dec.org.uk and feel your comments are a little harsh. I think you should keep your thought's to your self if your gonna be like that.

How about if you were in their position, wouldn't you want help? There's not many jobs going in Sudan either tbh.
  • Options
    why should i give them any money its there problem should build dams, why dont they just get jobs and pay for it them selves, to bloody lazy thats why.

you gotta laugh or cry aint ya ...i luaghed.
  • Options
    Originally posted by bongbudda
    On the other hand I have been putting in about 4 or 5 hours a week for the last month or so with a charity I strongly believe in here in the UK.

so you shouldn't feel bad at all.

it bothers me when the media dictate which particular charity is most needy. i'll give money to whoever i want, not whoever joanna lumley tells me i should.

yes, the situation in sudan is horrific. but then there are equally horrific things happening all over the world, and on our own doorsteps and of course people should try to help the needy, but not at the expense of the other needy, you know?

i also find it quite ironic that there are all these 'help the third world' appeals while it is generally the developed world's fault that they are so poor. maybe if we stopped exploiting them so much and demanding money they don't have it would be a start.
  • Options
    Well quite, yes there are many 1000's on deaths door in Sudan, but there are 100's in a similar situation elsewhere.

Its not really the number of people involved that is the issue, its the personal suffering.

What depresses me about this situation is that it is man made, unlike a flood or whatever. These people were driven from their homes on purpose, its the human hand behind this suffering which makes it all the worse.
  • Options
  • Options
    Originally posted by girl with sharp teeth
    The Sudanese government's human rights record is appalling. Amnesty International have just published a report detailing the systematic use of rape by the arab population against the black population.

Well indeed, but then Israels, Saudi Arabia, America's, Pakistans.....

The list is long, just some countries can get away with it.
  • Options

Twat.