Home Drink & Drugs
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Police

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hi all, posted this in politics and debates but thought I'd put it here as well, as it involves drugs!

I was recently cautioned by the police for posession of cannabis. I was really shocked at how unprofessional they were, they didn't even tell me their names or which police station they were from which they are suppost to do before interviewing me. At the end of the interview they began to ask me questions saying it was for "intelligence" and basically wouldn't leave me alone until I had given them some details of where I had got the cannabis from. Once they had let me go they drove to the other end of the car park, did a handbreak turn and left! As this was my first experience of "the law" I don't know if they are allowed to do or act like they did, and was just wondering if it is worth me making a complaint about them or will this cause more trouble for me?

Any help would be much appreciated.

:confused:

Comments

• Options
    i doubt a complaint will do much, remember, police men aren't robots, they are human beings just like us, therefore, some will be more proffessional than others, these one's were just pricks, i'd just let this incident slip to the back of my mind if i was you.
  • Options
    sounds like they were having a bit of fun at your expense and will now be having a toke at your expense.
    let it drop ...nowt worse than complaining about coppers for minor irritating things ...their mates will make your life hell.
  • Options
    JadedJaded Posts: 2,682 Boards Guru
    Sorry to hear that you had a bad experience, I would strongly advise you to contact the Citizens Advice Bureau, they can give you impartial advice and help if you decide to take it further. The website is here, and the phone number of the Bureau in Luton is 01582 731616 if you want to give them a call.

TheSite has an info page you can have a look at as well, and here is the page on how to file a complaint - I would highly recommend talking to CAB first though.
  • Options
    So were you actually officially cautioned? At the police station?

You should have been offered a copy of your interview tape, if you weren't you should ask for a copy.

I would say that it is entirely worth complaining. The police should always follow the law, once they dont we're all screwed.
  • Options
    if you brake the law you dont deserve to be treated with any respect
  • Options
    12 posts before you got banned, shit, others have been faster and far more offencive than you.
  • Options
    You didn't see what I deleted.
  • Options
    He wasnt any where near smart enough to be really offencive.

What was he mouthing off about anyway?
  • Options
    Stuff. I don't mind when someone expresses 'unsavory' views shall we say, but when they are being personally offensive and show a complete lack of understanding I don't really have much choice.
  • Options
    Oh well, the bits of his I saw were just crap rather than actually offensive.

Theres very few people on here who can be really offencive. You need to know a little about someone to really offend them. Other wise its just pointless ranting.
  • Options
    They should have given you their names, what station they were from, shown you a search warrant etc. If they didn't, you can demand to see them. They aren't allowed to search you without giving full details, and if they don't take details, as rolly suggested they may be bent coppers. Get in touch with your local police station.
  • Options
    call me old school but ...i'd rather let them be on their way ...
  • Options
    That's fair enough Rolly, but if Ms Stonedalot wants to take it further, rather than try the direct approach I would still be advising to call the Citizens Advice Bureau so you can be supported and advised.
  • Options
    Originally posted by morrocan roll
    call me old school but ...i'd rather let them be on their way ...

But Rolly, if someone doesnt stand up and say, no, this is unacceptable behaviour and shouldnt happen then it will continue.
  • Options
    man, i can't believe you just got off with a warning! the cops here are insane. my friend had to go to court just for a cigg! i would feel really lucky if i were you....
  • Options
    For only possession every adult in the UK should only get a caution unless they were doing something else as well. I.E standing next to a school...etc.

However, by the sound of it she didnt actually get a caution, they just did an illegal search, nicked her puff and then left.

The way stop and searches are done in the UK is a foul joke, so many of them are illegal.
  • Options
    personaly i would MUCH rather have an illegal surch done than get sent to juvie. just my preference but.......
  • Options
    Well, yes, but thats not really an option here. We have a slightly more informed and compassionate drug law system.

Under the guidelines here if she was 18 or over then she should have had the search done, the forms filled in and given a formal warning. And thats it.

However under 18 year olds are supposed to be arrested and possibly charged, but the likelyhood is they should get a formal warning too.
  • Options
    man, like i said, feel lucky
  • Options
    Frankly I'm surprised anyone does puff in the US. I know when I was there I found it just too bloody stressful.

I only really bought some because I was in Hawaii and I'd heard such good things about the stuff.

The Fear comes in on you.
  • Options
    Originally posted by wickedXmad
    man, like i said, feel lucky
    feel free you mean.
    most of europe is far more relaxed than the US ...the so called land of the free ...in just about everything.
    if the coppers were in uniform at least you know they were real coppers.
    never put up with it from cid ...coppers in disguise ...you kneed to lknow your not being robbed.
    as for a couple of uniforms ...it might well not be ideal or even propper procedure but ...taking someone down the nick ...filling out bits of paper for a tenners worth of weed?
    naa.