Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

arcade emulation

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
just say i wanted to run old arcade games, say for examples sake, the alien vs predator game by capcom in 94 thats like streets of rage but wth humans/aliens, how would i go about doing

Comments

• Options
    First of all it is illegal to download games in ROM form or any other.

You would need an emulator and then you would need some ROMs (games). Check out Google for more info.
  • Options
    it is the same copyright laws that nearly made 2nd hand game sillegal in japan, and well the chance of me finding a pcb board for that game brand new are next to zero, and if no-ones selling one anywhere, what am i supposed to do!?
  • Options
    Games in ROM format are legal if you own the original game on cart/disc.

It's like with music CDs. The MP3 counterparts are legal if you own it already on CD/tape. The whole point of "mp3" to me is being able to randomise between 200 CDs without having to change CDs. PC = jukebox.
  • Options
    Stop being so "copyright"! Go "copyleft" :-)

Download mame, get the rom, play the game :-)
  • Options
    That "if you have the orginal CD then you are allowed to copy it" is in fact an old wifes tale. I have posted something on copyright and music before. If you can find an offical site that says you are allowed to make a back up then I will change my opnion.

A copyright is infringed when a song is made available to the public by uploading it to an Internet site for other people to download, sending it through an e-mail or chat service, or otherwise reproducing or distributing copies without authorization from the copyright owner."

I'll be honest tho, I don't really care for copyright, if people wanna download a song or game, they can... it's not ikes it's killing anyone.
  • Options
    hmm what about abandonware, like i cant buy an arcade board of the game i want as its too old, and anyone who owns one dont wanna sell it, what am i supposed to do, make it! :p

copyright is only there to provide incentive for artists to continue doing their art, carrot and stick so to speak, and well as long as downloading free aint abused itds all fine, i download songs to check out an artist, if they any good ill buy that album

it makes me buy more albums in fact as otherwise being into non-pop rock and metal means i cant hear them anywhere other than net radio which is awful quality
  • Options
    Your best bet is the MAME emulator. www.mame.org
    That's just the emulator though, you will have to find the ROM's yourself. The ROM's are copies of the chips from the original machine, and saved as files that MAME can run. There are about 2000 ROM's out there.
    A P2P program may help you seek out the ROM's.
  • Options
    yeh i been wondering whats a good p2p for roms?

i normally use websites for them
  • Options
    Originally posted by Felix Da Housecat
    That "if you have the orginal CD then you are allowed to copy it" is in fact an old wifes tale. I have posted something on copyright and music before. If you can find an offical site that says you are allowed to make a back up then I will change my opnion.
    The American System has the concept of "Fair Use" which does allow you to make backups, and to convert between formats, provideded you only use once such copy at once.
    The mistaken assumption is that if America has something so 'obvious' then surely the rest of the world must have it as well