Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

Year of travel,

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
Ok.. out of curiosity I after collage I'm thinking of going travaling for a year, It'd only be around the usa and then off to see the northen lights probably but deffentley america,

Anyway how hard would this to pull of, as I want to go work while I'm out there is it hard to get a Visa, Also how would I go about finding how much this would cost, I'd like to know how much it would cost now as I'd like to know how much I've got to save ect,

Any help would be wonderfull,

Thanks
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    Yeah you would need a niva to work. Remember you won't be able to do any bar work coz you gotta be 21 to drink out there unless you go to Canada which is the same age as here. I'm not sure what you could do as a part-time job. Speak to a travel agent and ask themn what kinda money your looking at.
  • Options
    If you want to see the Northern Lights it will cost you a fortune to get there and back. Tromso is at the arse end of nowhere.

As for travelling in the US, how about talking to the US embassy? Or am I being dim?
  • Options
    Originally posted by Kermit
    If you want to see the Northern Lights it will cost you a fortune to get there and back. Tromso is at the arse end of nowhere.

As for travelling in the US, how about talking to the US embassy? Or am I being dim?

No... sorry just wanted to see the right direction, thank you kermit :)
  • Options
    Why the US out of interest?

Anyway, if your going there avoid the whole of the Mid-West, its flat, dull, boring, theres nothing of any interest there at all.

New York is alright, though far from the impressive city it makes out it is.

Colorado is nice, though it can be a bit full of hicks.

I've heard very good things about the North West as well.
  • Options
    Well I got family in north west in WA so I'd defently go there and in Texas,

Also I would love to go to every state, I got some friends in chaplin - SC to see and some in FL, New york and other places..

thanks.

why the usa- it's big.. and I've always wanted to go there, I know people there,
  • Options
    I know this chap. He's a sound chap. He works at some college somewhere teaching PE. He worked for 2 years and told me he was going travelling for 12 months after. He said all together it would cost around 10 grand but I don't remember if he said that included his spending cost either, or if he meant it would be 10 grand for him and his women or just for him.

He's going to about 10 places, including Cook Islands, Easter Islands, New Zealand etc. He'll spend just over a month in each. He mentioned getting a job if he needed to.

Thing is it's going to be quite easy for him as he's got a decent job and models for Fred Perry every so often which gives him a fair bit of cash (and gets him loads of free clothes - lucky twat). The best way to find out how much it would cost for you is to ask at travel agents and search the Interweb. I don't know why you'd want to go around the USA, not when South America and so many other places in the world would seem more Interesting, but your choice. I'd like to go to Chile.
  • Options
    I want to go the the usa because I know where I can stay, I know people all over I can stay with, EG family in WA and TX, friends in FL, SC, PA and alabama, plus many other states, be a year to explore myself I suppose,
  • Options
    Jesus, watch yourself in those Southern States, the Good 'Ol Boys dont play around.
  • Options
    Originally posted by bongbudda
    Jesus, watch yourself in those Southern States, the Good 'Ol Boys dont play around.

Lol.. I will... Oh you gotta love red necks though:)
  • Options
    Why the US out of interest?

Anyway, if your going there avoid the whole of the Mid-West, its flat, dull, boring, theres nothing of any interest there at all.

awww :( you are so so right :p even the highways are nothing, if you have good alignment on your car you could just drive straight and sleep till you get to where your headed... striaght, flat, so painful.

but chicago is nice :) well its one of those places that you either like or you don't really.
  • Options
    :)I wanna do every state though:) even if I only spend aday in some of them.
  • Options
    These links will help you out:

TheSite's travel pages

Gapyear

Rough Guides

Lonely Planet - have really good travel forums where you could discuss things like this.

:)
  • Options
    Originally posted by Hellfire
    :)I wanna do every state though:) even if I only spend aday in some of them.

That's a tall order. There are few Americans who have been to every state. Were you planning to go to Alaska and Hawaii as well?

You'd be better off spending more time in a few states. Definitely California, there is so much to see there.
  • Options
    yeah.. I kinda figured some us states, I'll defently go to WA, SC, Alabama, and Fl
  • Options
    I would've thought that kind of adventure would cost a pretty penny, even when you have relatives to stay with. Surely travel alone would add up if you're planning to flit all over an entire continent. That said, I know sod all about US travel so I'll leave it to someone better informed to comment!

Illinois and California are two places that have already been recommend, and coincidentally two of the four places in the US I've been to. Obviously I've no room for comparison but they were both fabulous. Chicago (in Illinois) was an amazing city, really took my breath away at times...and I got to see really great parts of it because my brother lives there and knows it inside out, so there are definitely advantages to family...tour guides as well as bed and board providers :D As previously said California is fantastic...there is so much to see (and so much variety within one state) that you could happily and easily while away an entire trip abroad there. I'd also recommend Montana, for some of the most fantastic sights I've ever seen...but it's quite hard to reach and very isolated in places.

You did say that you want to travel though, and if that's what you want then no one else's recommendations are gonna change your mind. I'd just advise you to research all your options very thoroughly, speak to everyone you can who can dispense advice, and save, save, save in the meantime :lol:
  • Options
    Originally posted by spanner
    These links will help you out:

TheSite's travel pages

Gapyear

Rough Guides

Lonely Planet - have really good travel forums where you could discuss things like this.

:)

That gap year site is brilliant! Im planning my gap year already.
  • Options
    working abroad

I'm just adding to all the links spanner put up really, but, my sister worked in America with Bunac and she had a really good time so I recommend you have a look at their website too.
    bunac :)
  • Options
    thankie everyone..

not for a couple of years but will be worth it
  • Options
    That gap year site is brilliant! Im planning my gap year already.

Omg you took the words right out ot my mouth. How good is that site!
  • Options
    Originally posted by Hellfire
    thankie everyone..

not for a couple of years but will be worth it

start earning now for it, trust me!
  • Options
    I blasted so much money on mine.

Work roughly on about £25 a day all in and you can have a fantastic time in most places, though I managed to spend about 30.
  • Options
    I blasted so much money on mine.

Work roughly on about £25 a day all in and you can have a fantastic time in most places, though I managed to spend about 30.

thanks for the choice mate :thumb:
  • Options
    My advice is go to poor places, when we went to Cape Town we lived like God's, we stayed in self catering but I only cooked one meal in 3 weeks!

When we were in Sydney however we had to live more frugally.