Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

Kids and Thongs

BillieTheBotBillieTheBot Posts: 8,723 Bot
I was treated to the lovely sight of a ten-year-old kid beidning over to reveal her red lacy thong t'other day in Ikea, and it set me thinking.

When does a kid stop being a kid? When would you cave in and let them wear "sexy" clothing? I know it wouldn't be 10 if it was my daughter, maybe when she was 14. If she was lucky. And it'd the same for a son.

It was a horrible sight, and I wonder about the parents of kids who wear stuff like that. It's just not right, kids shouldn't be sexual. And even if a thong isn't sexual, they shouldn't be worried about VPL at such a young age either.
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I rememebr when I was about 10 or 11 all the boys used to wear boxers then and I still had Y-fronts, I was embarresed in the changing rooms and still make sure I'm wearing 'mens' underwear whenever it's a day I've got P.E or something. Maybe it's not a sexual thing but a 'try to be grown up' thing. But then there is the risk that since sex seems to be part of most grown ups lives, that they will go onto that.

If I had a daughter I'd be more protective of her, probably until she was 13 at least that I let them wear thongs. But, I'd probably turn a blind eye and let her and mum go on their own little shopping sprees. I think it's just part of kids wanting to be grown up; whether there's any harm in it is debatable.
  • Options
    It is part of wanting to be "grown up", and I blame the media for a lot of it.

If Slutney and Christina Slagilera always wear fuck-all then kids will want to wear fuck-all too.

The irony of whingeing about paedos and then letting your kids out looking like whores seems to be lost on a lot of people.
  • Options
    In my opinion 10 is way too young!
    If I had a little girl I wouldn't be letting her wear thongs at that age.
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    i remember when i was about 10/11 i wanted to be one of the "cool" girls wearing makeup, slutty clothing etc. my mum didnt let me though. i am actually quite grateful for that now tbh.

in answer to the question ... i think it would depend on the child but i would say about 14/15 at the earliest.
  • Options
    Originally posted by littlemissy
    i remember when i was about 10/11 i wanted to be one of the "cool" girls wearing makeup, slutty clothing etc. my mum didnt let me though. i am actually quite grateful for that now tbh.

Children dressed like that just look wrong. At the stableyard where I have my horse there are a lot of kids around the age of 13/14 and they look so much older. Most of them can get served in a pub and I've spotted them in there before in their 4inch stillettos, short skirts and full make up. It's scary, I wasn't like that at 13! :eek:
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    Originally posted by xXxHelzxXx
    Children dressed like that just look wrong. At the stableyard where I have my horse there are a lot of kids around the age of 13/14 and they look so much older. Most of them can get served in a pub and I've spotted them in there before in their 4inch stillettos, short skirts and full make up. It's scary, I wasn't like that at 13! :eek:

:yes: they are getting worse.
  • Options
    i had a make up lesson for my 11th but i didn't wear "provoctive" clothing until this year, but even now i cover up: i'll wear a little-not minis though, i don't wear minis ever- skirt but not a little top as well, it always one or the other) and my heels are only on big black boots.....
  • Options
    Originally posted by J
    In theory we should all be able to walk round in the nude if we like.

I would if I could, but it's seen as a sexual thing by far too many people. The naked human body can be sexual, but it can also just be naked. Why does 'naked' automatically evoke sex in so many people's minds (including mine). I like to strut around naked because it feels good. :D That's my piece done then...
  • Options
    Originally posted by xXxHelzxXx

They are like that up here, its awful. I look at someone of them and think omg was i really like that?! I dont think i was that bad, but like got said, they are getting worse.

Thongs at 10 though is just wrong!
  • Options
    I think its disgusting. But it is all due to the media.

And on the subject of young kids. There was 3 girls about 9 or 8, 2 were standing one was sitting. And i couldnt get past so i said excuse me. The 2 moved out the way and i nearly stepped on the girl who was sitting down.
    As i was walkin away, the girls were talkin about rape! And saying loudly rape! And joking about it.:eek2:
  • Options
    It's only sexy if you find it sexy. And if you find it sexy, you're the one with the problem.

As we've already established it's 'cause the kids want to appear grown up 'cause that's what they're being exposed to. Older sisters, friends with older sisters, and yes, the media. But it isn't their fault. They're broadcasting and printing pictures and articles about performers like Britney and Christina because that's what the people want. If it weren't for their efforts we'd be in the dark about a whole lot of stuff. Even if they were just to cut out entertainment related news and leave the real news, we'd still be missing out on knowing when their latest album's released, or when they're next on tour. So if you're after someone to blame, blame Britney and Christina. They're the ones targetting the pre-teen audience knowing full well their fans are gonna want to copy them.
  • Options
    Oh and also, why do you wonder about the parents' of the kids? Them wearing thongs isn't doing them any harm. It isn't making them grow up faster as even without the thongs, they'd just try and act more grown up in other ways anyway. It isn't making them appear sexier either, as anyone that finds a 10 year old in a thong sexy deserves a swift stabbing in the face. Besides, we all know what kids are like. Stopping your daughter from wearing a thong when all her friends are is just gonna end up in her being teased.
  • Options
    daddy's lil girl has grown up
  • Options
    Well its disgusting and stupid. I am also totally disgusted about the number of 13/14 yr olds i know personally who go out and get totally wrecked on a friday night. it's just wrong.
  • Options
    It's not good, sends out dodgy signals I think and attracts the wrong sort of people if you know what I mean. I know I wouldn't le tmy kid even wear a thing at 14, maybe 16/17.
  • Options
    im 16 and still have never worn one. they just look strange...

i dunno, tis weird, if im wearing a short skirt i'll always wear tights and i never wear low cut anything. the girls round here are a wee bit :eek:
    all the guys just call em slappers anyways
  • Options
    I remember a huge thread about kids wearing thongs. It was a fair length. There seemed to be two groups of people; those who see thongs as just another form of clothing and acceptable, and those who see it as a sex icon and find it unacceptable.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Capacity
    I remember a huge thread about kids wearing thongs. It was a fair length. There seemed to be two groups of people; those who see thongs as just another form of clothing and acceptable, and those who see it as a sex icon and find it unacceptable.

Aye, I remember that thread. It was bizarre.

I think it is an adult form of clothing, and not something kids should be wearing. As I say, I don't think it is strictly a sex item but the other main reason for wearing one is VPL< and kids shouldn't be worried about VPL aged 10.
  • Options
    VPL?
  • Options
    i still don't wear thongs. i don't think they're at all attractive. neither do most of the guys i know. if i'm avoiding a VPL, i wear shorts-style pants.

10 is too young to be wearing a thong. it's not so much the actual thong that's the problem, but the implication of it. where do you draw the line? 11 year olds in crotchless panties? primary school kids with nipple tassels? come on. if i have managed this long without a pressing need for thongs, i'm sure kids could manage til they're 16.
  • Options
    Originally posted by J
    But it is just an item of clthing. Weird arguement!!

it's not just an item of clothing. it has sexual connotations.

if you're gonna use that argument, why not parade your 6 year old around in a bondage bra and fishnet tights? and she could be holding a vibrator too, cause after all, that's just a massager.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Kermit

As I say, I don't think it is strictly a sex item but the other main reason for wearing one is VPL< and kids shouldn't be worried about VPL aged 10.

It's not about VPL though, it's about them wanting to feel and act grown-up.
  • Options
    Jesus, its all part of growing up. You've all been there, a good few of you should know exactly what its like, so why not lighten up and accept it rather than trying to bubblewrap kids just because things change? I think part of it is the kids wanting to rebel, and if they meet resistance from you then they have met their aims.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Felix Da Housecat
    VPL?
    visible pantie line
  • Options
    I think there is a hygiene issue too with thongs and kids. They aren't the best at making sure they're cleaned up properly when they've been to the loo (10 year olds I mean, not 14 year olds!) so to have a bit of dental floss up their bum can't really be too healthy. I don't think I really need go into more detail!
    :eek2:
  • Options
    But flossing is good for getting leftovers out:p
  • Options
    Originally posted by Kermit
    But flossing is good for getting leftovers out:p

Oh please, David that is vile, even by your standards! :eek:
  • Options
    Originally posted by BumbleBee
    Oh please, David that is vile, even by your standards! :eek:

*bows*
  • Options
    Originally posted by kaffrin

10 is too young to be wearing a thong. it's not so much the actual thong that's the problem, but the implication of it.

The implications of it? In all honesty (aside from the Amish) who the hell finds a song sexy unless the wearer happens to be topless and dancing round a pole?
    where do you draw the line? 11 year olds in crotchless panties? primary school kids with nipple tassels? come on.

Yeah 'cause they're anywhere near being the same.
    if i have managed this long without a pressing need for thongs, i'm sure kids could manage til they're 16.

You're an adult. They're kids who are scared of not fitting in and being teased for it. There's no harm in it unless the reason they wanna wear the thong is to give their boyfriend a lapdance and a massage.

Honestly, lighten up :/
  • Options
    Well I was forced into wearing a bra when i was 12 and i didnt want to as it was "growing up" and I was all peter pan and didnt want to! I didnt get a thong til i was 16 or 17 before i went to a nightclub. never needed one before-once i went to my first nightclub at 17 1/2 I realised i did need more appropriate underwear...and yes I do wear bra's now-i recovered when I got to choose a nice tammy girl one with flowers!

I think the point about the hygiene is good. Great way of getting lil girls to suffer grown up girls problems caused by thongs!

Still if the shops and mags sell them, some popular kids say they are cool, then the rest are gonna follow! Whether or not we older peeps disagree
This discussion has been closed.