Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Any Law students?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
Any law students here who could recommend any books that are available which i could read before september? Haven't got much on this summer (in terms of plans, not clothes) and wouldn't mind going with a bit of knowledge even though Law is taught from an 'we assume you know nothing' point of view. Obviously I'm thinking of stuff that would be particularly pertinent to freshersand would help me get off to a good start. Cheers.

BTW I'm going to the university of sheff. I doubt there are any law students from there on here but so much the better if you can offer any more insight! Ta.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    Law is taught from an 'we assume you know nothing' point of view.

this is a bad misconception. you will probably be lectured on the substantive issues. institutions often assume that you have grasped basic problem solving skills from your education so far. at my uni, some of us do, most of us didnt. try law teacher.net or consprillo or consprillio (ive lost my favourites list arrgg). but that'll give you an idea..

Elliot & Quinn do excellent books that are READABLE and perfectly consise and v v helpful. written in an excellent style. ideal for alevels. they do one on the english legal system edit 5 now. get that book. it'll tell you basics like the principles underlying precedent etc. and a WHLE lot more. dont expect the course to be a second best option... oh i think i'll do law. like marco on BB. i think you really must be into it to do well.

GOOD LUCK TO YOU... really.
    ps if it seems hard, the core modules you study on an LLB course are applicable across the board. pay particular attention to contract public and land.

goodluck
  • Options
    Yeah thanks I know what you mean, when I said about 'knowing nothing' I meant in a Law specific kind of way and the subject matter itself, obviously there are universal and fundamental skills that you should have acquired already, eg. logic, problem solving, objectivity/subjectivity etc. I'll have a delve into some of those resources, cheers.
  • Options
    A word of advice: don't bother.

It makes little difference. If you know what the court hierarchy is, and that Scotland and England have different legal codes, then you know enough. And you can find that out in the newspaper.

They assume little knowledge, just general knowledge, so leave it at that.

Words of advice from a Durham graduate:)
  • Options
    I have a mate who is going to do Law at Durham, can't remember the name of the college, exactly, would it be Trevelyan or something like that?
  • Options
    Originally posted by Museman
    I have a mate who is going to do Law at Durham, can't remember the name of the college, exactly, would it be Trevelyan or something like that?

Ah Trevelyan College, home of the best toastie bar in Durham.

*drools*

Tell him to take a compass there- Trevs is built like a honeycomb and it's evil to walk around until you know where you're going.

He'll regret not going to St. Aidan's though;)
  • Options
    Their admissions people were quite bizarre actually. He did his A-levels same year as me (last summer), the reason I'm only going this year is cos I decided to take a year out. But what happened with him was that he missed the grades by one (ABB instead of AAB) so they told him they couldn't give him a place for september 2003 but would give him one for september 2004, so he had no option but to take a year out. Didn't really understand that, I would've thought either they'll take you straight away or won't take you at all. I guess it's to do with quotas and what offers have been made or something.
  • Options
    Current law students I know have had to buy them, and they ain't cheap. Not sure if it varies between unis in terms of buying/loaning or whatever but my guess would be that pretty much you have to buy your own copies.
  • Options
  • Options
    The law library will carry copies of the main law textbooks, but there will be about 10 copies for the whole department. So 10 books between 700-1000 people.

You are going to have to buy them. And they are £35 a throw. And I would offer to be kind and sell you mine (I need the storage) but my books are now three years out of date.
  • Options
    Tthey couldn't give him a place for september 2003 but would give him one for september 2004

Makes perfect sense to me.

They wanted your mate, but they couldn't legally take him without the grades. Give him an offer of what he got and, hey, they've got the student they want.

I got offered ABC to do Law at Durham, and that's because I was doing difficult subjects.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Kermit
    Makes perfect sense to me.

They wanted your mate, but they couldn't legally take him without the grades. Give him an offer of what he got and, hey, they've got the student they want.

I got offered ABC to do Law at Durham, and that's because I was doing difficult subjects.

But I thought it was up to the discretion of the admissions staff whether or not someone got in, loads of people get let in without quite meeting their offers, or is it different with Law because of how over-subscribed it is?
  • Options
    But I thought it was up to the discretion of the admissions staff whether or not someone got in, loads of people get let in without quite meeting their offers, or is it different with Law because of how over-subscribed it is?

They can negotiate if there is room, but if many insurance people fell into the course then they can't bring him on too.

I did History, Mathematics and English Language. I got AAC.
  • Options
  • Options
  • Options
    Michael Allen books are readable.

I bought all the books that were recommended and hardly used them at all. I am not going to bother this with the books in September because Keele Law library is passable and I am living with three other law people :)
  • Options
    Originally posted by rachie004
    Newcastle is worse! It's full of geordies :p:lol:

And Durham's full of wannabe-Geordies. And rahs.

The cathedral makes up for it though.

Hey, and don't tarnish all Durham students with the same brush. See me in the street and you wouldn't know I was a student. It really makes me laugh how I always get better service in Durham when I thicken my Yorkshire accent though :lol:
  • Options
    Originally posted by Kermit
    And Durham's full of wannabe-Geordies. And rahs.

The cathedral makes up for it though.
    It's a shame, Durham's such a nice place as well.

Why can't they just all sod off to America if they can't get into daddy's former Oxbridge college?

Nobheads
  • Options
    Are the rahs the pashmina wearing floppy haired posh types? We call those yahs up here. Funny that.
  • Options
    what is a rah/yah? :confused:

You know how you are. The annoying poncy posh people who walk around rahing the whole time about how provincial the place is, and how much better it was in daddy's London flat. They wal;k arpund wearing pink shirts (men) and pashminas (girls).
  • Options
    I thought it stood for something or had a definitave meaning :confused: I've never heard it before!

It does. It's definition is thye poncey Hatfield cunts who strut around.

Think public school rowers and rugger buggers.
  • Options
    :heart:

It's the only thing I hated about Durham. Even the chavs from Sherburn Road were preferable :lol:

It did mean I got good service when I spoke with a thick accent though:D
  • Options
    Did you take law at As/A2 level?

I did. Absolutely loved it. If anyone has the opportunity to take it, go for it.

With regards to books - Jacqueline Martin is one of the best authors, and also Elliott & Quinn as someone else mentioned.

I take it you'll be doing an LLB, so the sections you'll definitely cover are...

Consititutional Law
    Contract
    Tort
    Criminal Law
    EU Law
    Land Law
    Trusts

(Unless you've taken Law A level) I think buying a book on a particular genre of Law would be a bit overwhelming. Perhaps try reading a book on consitutional law, it'll give you an edge and it's very insightful.

Best of luck.