Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

Shrek 2

BillieTheBotBillieTheBot Posts: 8,723 Bot
edited January 2023 in General Chat
I went and saw this last night. My review - Crap.
Beep boop. I'm a bot.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    i only saw half of it because littlun wouldnt shut up in the cinema but from what I did see it look fabulous.
  • Options
    Oh, it looks fantastic, the animation is truely spectacular, there just isnt any good gags in it.

About 1/4 of it doesnt even have talking, its just the caractors looking about while music plays.

The Puss in Boots is good, granted, but the rest just plain was not funny.
  • Options
    Its fantastic.
  • Options
    What?!

Compared with the first one?!!
  • Options
    I really did enjoy it, i thought jennifer Saunders as the fairy god mother was quality, but i didnt like it was much as the first
  • Options
  • Options
    The cat was good, I admited as much, but really!? There was so much of it with no talking, just poxy music and Shrek looking off into the distance.

There just wasnt many gags.

People who havent seen it, dont listen to them, listen to me, dont go.
  • Options
  • Options
    There were loads of movie references, I liked the Godzilla one with the big gingerbread man, but, well they were there without being funny.

It just wasnt anywhere near as good as the first one.

How did Donkey's dragon mrs change during the potion for example? That could have been funny, but it wasnt there.
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    nowhere near as good as the first one imo. i got the impression that they were trying too hard to make it as funny and i dont think they succeeded.

yes, the characters were as good but some of the one-liners werent.
    Originally posted by Bongbudda
    People who havent seen it, dont listen to them, listen to me, dont go.

dont agree with this. i still think it is worth going to see, i just dont think it lived up to all the hype and it wasnt as good as the first one. it was still alright :)
  • Options
    Well, I got in 2-for-1 so me and my mrs went for £6 and I still think I was ripped off.

It was boring in places, unfunny in most with only the occasional laugh.
  • Options
    Originally posted by bongbudda
    How did Donkey's dragon mrs change during the potion for example? That could have been funny, but it wasnt there.

I thought that too.

One the whole though I thought it was very good. There were loads of gags in there - Versarchery for example, Pinnochio "I'm a boy", the Blind Mice, The king at the end and the fable about if you kiss enough Frogs, it certainly explain his/queens earlier conversations about "walks by the lily pads"...

I agree that Shrek himself was dull but the gags were all about the character's around him. He part was the romantic lead and I'd say they got it right...
  • Options
    Well this does surprise me, I thought you would all agree with me about how bad it was.

I feel like such an outsider.
  • Options

You are. Now go away and don't darken our door again :p

Seriously, I do understand what you are saying. In the last film many of the jokes were based around Shrek and Donkey. This time they seem to have widened it a little - although I wonder how many people will miss some gags because they don't know the nursery rhymes very well.

That said, even they should spot a few gags...
  • Options
    I spotted loads of film and rhyme references, I just didnt think them very funny, in fact it was almost as though they had concentrated on that and not being funny.

Right, well I'm off to cry and not darken your door anymore.
  • Options
    I'm off to cry

Finally.

My work here is done.

:p

Personally I like the subtle approach is that type of film, I like to see how many "clever" jokes they can shoe-horn into a film. The obvious one are easy but there can be some real howlers when the makers try to be subtle... GWST highlighted the farbucks one, classic...
  • Options
    Yes, putting references in is good, makes you feel smart when you get them and inflates your ego (which is maybe why you like them).

But, it has to be funny, and this film in the main just isnt.
  • Options
    Nobody else think they slipt a few adult themes in as well? The carriage driver with the the tight trousers and the whip for instance, and Pinnochio's kinky underwear collection.....

But I thought the references were very good. References for the adults, rather than to inflate egos, and the obvious jokes, and I think the balance was a good one, making the film very good. Not as good as Shrek, obviously, but a decent sequel.

"He's got catnip!"
    "It's not mine!"
  • Options
    I did like the driver wearing a 'Kyle' T-shirt, an obvious reference to the 'Kylie' t-shirt which was famously worn by Madona.
  • Options
    Yes, putting references in is good, makes you feel smart when you get them and inflates your ego (which is maybe why you like them).

:p

You are right of course but :p all the same...
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    Well this does surprise me, I thought you would all agree with me about how bad it was.

i semi agreed :(
  • Options
    I know, I'm still surprised about the positive reviews though.
  • Options
    Originally posted by the doc horatio
    Nobody else think they slipt a few adult themes in as well? The carriage driver with the the tight trousers and the whip for instance, and Pinnochio's kinky underwear collection.....

the people who make all of those films here lately say that they put the adult jokes in there so it actually can be a film for the whole family to watch.i loved shrek2 not as much as the first one,but it was funny as hell to me
  • Options
    Oh, it looks fantastic, the animation is truely spectacular, there just isnt any good gags in it.

About 1/4 of it doesnt even have talking, its just the caractors looking about while music plays.

The Puss in Boots is good, granted, but the rest just plain was not funny.

The animation is better, the gags are less and not as good. It's a funny film, it has it's moments, and it's enjoyable to watch, but it's nothing compared to the first film.
  • Options
    The film was fantastic, I thought. Very very funny, but the jokes were subtle.

If you were expecting them, and knew where to look, then it was good. Sit there thinking "this is crap" and you'll miss the subtle stuff. 'Tis always the way.

Children's films have ALWAYS had adult jokes in, watch old epsiodes of Rainbow if you don't believe me. Children don't get the double entendres, so it's safe, but the parents can enjoy the smut.
  • Options
    The animation was good, except the lip-sync was very dodgy in places. The vast number of references to other films, or the actors voicing the characters (particularly liked the similarities between the King and Basil Fawlty) was impressive, especially as they didn't feel forced - they fitted into the plot, and the film still made perfect sense if you didn't catch the references.

I liked it, and would go see it again. I find it hard to compare it to the first, though, not entirely sure why.
  • Options
    Is the Larry King who played the Ugly Stepsister the CCN news caster? Because he sounded a lot like Jonathon Ross.....
  • Options
    Originally posted by the doc horatio
    Is the Larry King who played the Ugly Stepsister the CCN news caster? Because he sounded a lot like Jonathon Ross.....

Are you being sarcastic...? I cannot tell. :(

Jonathon Ross replaced Larry King as the ugly stepsister in the UK version. Kate Thornton replaced Joan Rivers as the showbiz correspondanty person. :yes:
  • Options
    Originally posted by Kermit
    Children's films have ALWAYS had adult jokes in, watch old epsiodes of Rainbow if you don't believe me. Children don't get the double entendres, so it's safe, but the parents can enjoy the smut.

Ah, rainbow. That was sooooo gay. But then again it wasn't really that subtle at all was it?:lol:
  • Options
    Originally posted by Kermit
    If you were expecting them, and knew where to look, then it was good. Sit there thinking "this is crap" and you'll miss the subtle stuff. 'Tis always the way.

Yeah! I downloaded the second one, and I watched it a few times and I cottoned onto ALL the jokes you miss the first time, much like I did with the first also.

OMG! Double entendre - I forgot about that terminology. So French, which makes you sound snazzy.