Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

Brainteasers

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Cunning Reg was walking through the peaceful, law-abiding town of Menagerie, inhabited by identical-looking Verities, who always tell the truth, and Perfids, who always lie.

He was suddenly met by an inhabitant who said: "I am a Logical Mugger. If the next statement you make is true, I shall take your watch; if the next statement you make is false, I shall take your wallet."

Cunning Reg was then able to tell wheter the inhabitant was a Verity or a Perfid, but can you? :chin:

Comments

• Options
    JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    Reg wasn't carrying a watch and/or wallet?
  • Options
    A Verity. Becuase he's thinking logically about mugging the guy, which is what he said he was. And Verities always tell the truth, so...

I think :(
  • Options
    You're both wrong. :p
  • Options
    A perfid??! :chin:
  • Options
    Let me rephrase, you both gave wrong reasons.

Dave: possibly, but you need to give a reason. :p
  • Options
    Originally posted by z0ma
    Dave: possibly, but you need to give a reason. :p

D'oh! better think seriously now then...
  • Options
    ah! you said that the town was law-abiding! sooo... he must be a perfid?
  • Options
    Re: Brainteasers
    Originally posted by z0ma

I hate you :crying:
  • Options
    Re: Re: Brainteasers
    Originally posted by Zella
    I hate you :crying:

A perfectly vaild response to this.
  • Options
    Yes, but its a different sort of hate is it not? I hate him because he makes my head want to explode.:(
  • Options
    Just as you hate him, I'm not all that concerned as to why.

Though this little riddle is irritatingly simple, yet not. z0ma cant have thought of it himself, he's just irritatingly simple.
  • Options
    Cunning Reg looks at the logical mugger and says -

'You will take my wallet.'

The mugger looks confused, if he takes the wallet then Reg is telling the truth but if he is telling the truth he has to take the watch.

The mugger thinks some more, if he takes the watch then Reg is lying so he should take the wallet - but if he does that Reg was telling the truth and he should take the watch.

At this point the mugger realises that the statement can't ALWAYS be true so he must be a Perfid who lies all the time.

Realising this he smacks Reg in the face and steals everything.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Jim V
    Cunning Reg looks at the logical mugger and says -

'You will take my wallet.'

The mugger looks confused, if he takes the wallet then Reg is telling the truth but if he is telling the truth he has to take the watch.

The mugger thinks some more, if he takes the watch then Reg is lying so he should take the wallet - but if he does that Reg was telling the truth and he should take the watch.

At this point the mugger realises that the statement can't ALWAYS be true so he must be a Perfid who lies all the time.

Realising this he smacks Reg in the face and steals everything.

:chin: brainy
  • Options
    Originally posted by dave_lcfc
    ah! you said that the town was law-abiding! sooo... he must be a perfid?

Correct. Your cheque is in the post. :)

After all, Menagerie is a peaceful, law-abiding town so anyone announcing themselves as a mugger would surely be telling a lie but Jim V, I did very much like your logic there. :D

And bongbudda, once again words fail me. It baffles me how this far down the evolutioinary line, a complete and utter moronic being such as yourself manages to exist. If I had my way, I'd have locked you in a zoo a long, long time ago. And provided people with free tasers to shoot you with.

Another? Lets. :hyper:

Last year I went to Hawaii for my holidays. As I had not been there before, I asked three friends - namely Wilhelmina Neumann, Luke Manilow and Pauline Emmanuel - who had been there before for travel advice.

All three of them recommended a particular local man who, theysaid, was an extremely reliable and efficient taxi driver whoknew the island well. He would be able to take me to my hotel for a small fee and thus get my holiday off to a good start.

However, when I arrived in the airport on Hawaii it took me a long time to find the driver with whom I had made arrangements beforehand by telephone. It turns out that he had been waiting there when I landed, but I couldn't make out the sign he had made which had my name on it.

What factors had made my experiences different from that of my friends?
  • Options
    Maybe you cant read?
  • Options
    The local man put up a sign saying MAN, to describe himself, since Wilhelmina Neumann, Luke Manilow and Pauline Emmanuel all had MAN in their name they saw the sign.

You don't have MAN in your name so the sign made no sense.
  • Options
    Originally posted by bongbudda
    Maybe you cant read?

Yes, maybe. :yeees:

And Jim V, you're along the right lines but that's incorrect. :)