Home Drink & Drugs
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

munchies

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
why do people get the munchies after smoking up? is there some scientific explination or what?

Comments

• Options
    Flake_MustaineFlake_Mustaine Posts: 1,261 Wise Owl
    I always wondered that too, my friend's older brother and their mates always used to mong their way to us and steal our food. :p Our fault for always having snacky food handy i suppose.

They always said they didn't know why they craved so, but that they just did and it's nice to munch away.. I don't think they knew quite what they were saying sometimes though ;)
  • Options
    Post edited because of its pointless and mildly offensive nature. (Apologies to Bong)
  • Options
    Nice to see you cant muster even a decent arguement against drug use.

There are more than a few, the risks, the law...etc. Yet your brain couldnt manage this, oh well.
  • Options
    correct me if i'm wrong bong, but wasn't that THC synth pill (marlox or something) for increaseing appetite for anorxeria???
  • Options
    It is used to increase appitite but I would be surprised if it is used for anorexia because that is an illness so based on mental health and not physical symptoms.

It is used for cancer sufferers so that they can keep food down.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Russell
    Post edited because of its pointless and mildly offensive nature. (Apologies to Bong)

No need to apologise to me.
  • Options
    so... minus the retard and the anexoria, any ideas then?
  • Options
    to get stoners to eat, because smokers mind sometimes erases the thought of food?
  • Options
    Originally posted by twisted_trinity
    to get stoners to eat, because smokers mind sometimes erases the thought of food?
    what you still doing here? looking a right fool ...i told you planes can't land at your house ...youngsters these days.
  • Options
    Originally posted by morrocan roll
    what you still doing here? looking a right fool ...i told you planes can't land at your house ...youngsters these days.

my mum's taking me :rolleyes:
  • Options
    JadedJaded Posts: 2,682 Boards Guru
    Well, Erowid says -

Cannabinoids and Appetite Stimulation

Endogenous cannabinoid system as a modulator of food intake (!!) - although I'm not sure about some of the other content on the site.....

There is lots more stuff on the net, try google....
  • Options
    I would assume that it triggers the stomach to say that it is empty, also there is an increase in sensitivity of the senses so that things taste better. This coupled with the intoxication which could mean you dont know when your stomach is full may lead to eating tube after tube of pringles.
  • Options
    JadedJaded Posts: 2,682 Boards Guru
    There is also a theory about the cannabinoid and 'pleasure' receptors in your brain..... Don't ask me for details, I may be making it up..... There was an interesting article on the second website about a man trying to get off a drug conviction by saying he ate a shedload of chocolate, because apparently the chemicals released in to the brain after consumption is similar to cannabis... He is in jail now which says a lot for that theory.
  • Options
    Interestingly there are receptors which fit THC exactly, unlike with other drugs which work on receptors in a blunt way it almost appears that these were designed FOR cannabis.

The opiates have a similar receptor too, but, well thats a bit different because our own natural pain killing chemicals are sort of opiates. And well pain killing serves a purpose, why put receptors in the brain for cannabis except for pleasure?

And if as suspected they have evolved there does that not suggest that cannabis has been used for 1000's of years?

Or, is its just a wierd off chance that they work together so well, and if it is does this not lead you to suspect the hand of God.

And if not God, if it is pure chance, some lucky genetic roll of the dice why be nasty about it and deny the body something it has evolved to have a receptor for?
  • Options
    Originally posted by bongbudda
    Interestingly there are receptors which fit THC exactly, unlike with other drugs which work on receptors in a blunt way it almost appears that these were designed FOR cannabis.

The opiates have a similar receptor too, but, well thats a bit different because our own natural pain killing chemicals are sort of opiates. And well pain killing serves a purpose, why put receptors in the brain for cannabis except for pleasure?

And if as suspected they have evolved there does that not suggest that cannabis has been used for 1000's of years?

Or, is its just a wierd off chance that they work together so well, and if it is does this not lead you to suspect the hand of God.

And if not God, if it is pure chance, some lucky genetic roll of the dice why be nasty about it and deny the body something it has evolved to have a receptor for?
    i had some fascinating information about the receptor sites for dope some years back ...full of dust in the basement of my mind now no doubt but ...the cannabis receptors in the human brain are lock and key ...they fit exactly ...
    certain female hormones are near identical to these locks and keys and can have an effect cos they 'almost' fit ...the cannabis receptors though have been shown to be cannabis recievers and nothing else.
    which negates all law in my opinion.
    edited to add ...i'm unlikely to use it in my defense ...(ladyjade) but ...you never know ...i may wellend up sharing a spliff and a cell with that guy ...where we can hone our next defence!