Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

how would i make this?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
i didn't put this in fashion because it's not exactly a fashion item, it's more of a saftey thing......but a friend came up with a really good idea.....a braclet that hasn your emergency contact details sewn into it, but how the hell would i make it......i needs to have 5 names and numbers in it....and i thought that this would be perfect for me if i'm traveling because if it's round my wrist i'm not gonna lose it so easily, and if in the likely event that i'm found somewhere unconsious, the emergency services can get hold of people that know me i.e my mum or the people that i'm staying with.

but how would i make it? my friend sugested a friendship braclet with the names and numbers stiched into the back but thats going to be so much work and it would need to be really wide to have 5 names and numbers on the back.....

anyone got any ideas???

T_T

Comments

• Options
    how handy are you at sewing?

first thing that comes to my mind for your kind of style is a cuff:

cut two pieces of fabric as wide as you want your cuff and long enough to go around your wrist comfortably, with an inch overlap.

in one of them, cut a hole, and sew clear vinyl underneath, so it's like a little window.

sew both pieces around three sides, and then stitch a shape through both layers, around the window, so now you have a little pocket thing. leave one edge open.

attach snaps or velcro to the ends to fit.

then just write out all your details (use a waterproof pen in case of sweatiness) on a little piece of paper or card and pop it into the window.

then you can either wear it so the window is against your wrist, so the whole world can't see it, or with the window facing out. for extra security, you could sew the fourth side up when you've got the paper in there.

magic.
  • Options
    Originally posted by kaffrin
    how handy are you at sewing?

first thing that comes to my mind for your kind of style is a cuff:

cut two pieces of fabric as wide as you want your cuff and long enough to go around your wrist comfortably, with an inch overlap.

in one of them, cut a hole, and sew clear vinyl underneath, so it's like a little window.

sew both pieces around three sides, and then stitch a shape through both layers, around the window, so now you have a little pocket thing. leave one edge open.

attach snaps or velcro to the ends to fit.

then just write out all your details (use a waterproof pen in case of sweatiness) on a little piece of paper or card and pop it into the window.

then you can either wear it so the window is against your wrist, so the whole world can't see it, or with the window facing out. for extra security, you could sew the fourth side up when you've got the paper in there.

magic.

i'm not very handy at sewing but i do have a machine, and is there anything i could use instead of clear vinyl??? cos i need to make this before next wednesday (when i fly out). great idea though:)
  • Options
    anything clear and quite strong, i imagine. those cheap, nasty bags you get smellies and magazine freebies in work a treat.

otherwise, you could use white fabric for the inside, and write your stuff directly on with a fabric pen. iron to fix it, and bob's your uncle!
  • Options
    Kinda pointless.

Unless they're the ones that're sold in shops, paramedics will just dismiss it as another piece of jewelry. Not like they're gonna have time to check all your stuff for phone numbers :/
  • Options
    Originally posted by Kiezo
    Kinda pointless.

Unless they're the ones that're sold in shops, paramedics will just dismiss it as another piece of jewelry. Not like they're gonna have time to check all your stuff for phone numbers :/

they do at hospital.
  • Options
    Get a tattoo:D

I saw on the tv the other night a guy had the name of his favourite Chinese restaurant tattooed on his head just because he like the food there. He said if he got bored then he would just wear a cap to cover it up:p