Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

Explain Surround Sound To Me

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Got a Yamada 6600 DivX / DVD Player and want to get 5.1 speakers for it.

Do I need just a amp / speaker system or do I need one of these dolby things?

Also have sky TV and Nicam video and heard there is a dolby thing encoded into nicam?

Any recommendations on speakers?

I saw a make caleld e-bench from Lidl which looked pretty neat although don't think they were dolby

Comments

• Options
    if your dvd player has anything saying dolby digital decoder then all you should need is an amp and speakers you could probably pick up the two of them for around 150 not sure how cheap they go nowadays but should jsut be that you need to buy
  • Options
    Your speakers are not anything to do with dolby. The dolby decoding is done on the DVD player. Check what speaker set up your dvd player provides for and get a suitable set.

If you want to put the output through another amp for some reason, then for best effect your DVD player would need digital output (sometimes shown as optical output) and your amp would need digital input.

Yes.
  • Options
    My DivX / DVD player has optical out, and also I think SDIF ??

As well as the phono outputs for 5.1 sound

I've also heard that there is surround sound encode on normal TV broadcasts as well? Is that right. But for that you need to hook up the TV to a dolby decoder?
  • Options
    Originally posted by DiamondGeezer
    My DivX / DVD player has optical out, and also I think SDIF ??

As well as the phono outputs for 5.1 sound

I've also heard that there is surround sound encode on normal TV broadcasts as well? Is that right. But for that you need to hook up the TV to a dolby decoder?

I am not sure about tv.

I *think* you only get dolby surround from digital sources, like digital terrestrial or satelitte.

For that to work, your set top box or sateliette reciever would have to offer digital sound output through to your amp. Otherwise it would be normal two channel stereo.

Or you could get a dolby digital digital tv. Yes.
  • Options
    I found this is sorta helps

http://www.liquidtheater.com/editorials/50