Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

ipods

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
JUST WHAT IS THE BIG DEAL!?!?

they arent that great, and the creative ones are far cheaper and play wma format too, not the rip off iTunes format :lol:

did you know the ear phones are so recognisble, people are getting mugged for them now...
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    I love my ipod! Wouldn't be without it now and what do you mean "whats the big deal?" its a great little piece of technology!
  • Options
    theres lots of other branded ones though... it aint like its the only one, thats what i mean!
  • Options
    Well I've got the 40gb one which was given to me as a gift but I really liked it cause it was small, sexy, sleek and at the time I got mine it had the largest memory available!
  • Options
    I love my ipod too! I change my headphones so they're less recognisable.
  • Options
    Ive been thinkin bout gettin a ipod for ages, what other brand names do you recommend?
  • Options
    well sonys are developing a walkman with harddrive, but i dont think itll play normal mp3s :(

best bets are the creative Zen the main contender they do 40gb too less attractive to me but over £150 cheaper i believe
  • Options
    Re: ipods
    Originally posted by wheresmyplacebo
    JUST WHAT IS THE BIG DEAL!?!?

they arent that great, and the creative ones are far cheaper and play wma format too, not the rip off iTunes format :lol:

did you know the ear phones are so recognisble, people are getting mugged for them now...

No, iPods don't play WMA, but there's no probel 'cause iTunes converts WMA files for you :razz:
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,287 Skive's The Limit
    The amount of extras you can get for the iPod is the real bonus.
    The iTrip enables you to have your own little pirate radio station.
    Qualtiy.

Yes it is illegal, but I never that sort of thing bother me.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    ive wanted an mp3 player for ages but i have a deep hatred for anything apple related.

but every mp3 player i see has such a useless amount of space....or is obscenely expensive....:confused:
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,287 Skive's The Limit
    Originally posted by AlmightyBob
    ive wanted an mp3 player for ages but i have a deep hatred for anything apple related.

I don't think it's wise hating something for the sake of it's name.
    Apple is quality build.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    sorry if i'm living under a shed, but what is an ipod? just an mp3 player?
  • Options
    Originally posted by Skive
    I don't think it's wise hating something for the sake of it's name.
    Apple is quality build.

ive never had any luck with the things, i owned a mac for a short time, it spent more time waiting to be prepared than i did using it, the college macs i edit my film work on hate me too, Apple just aint for me, plus iPods ive heard arent "quality build" i.e the battery problems etc.....

id like a cheap(er), good capacity alternative to one ideally.
  • Options
    The Ipod sounds like a great idea and they hold so much but I haven't actually got round to looking into them and they are rather expensive!
  • Options
    all im saying is, iPods aint the only ones that are built by well known companies, and some of them are far more reliable and cheaper and more capacity
  • Options
    sony hi-md... latest minidisc player/recorder.

each minidisc holds 45hours of music (which is pretty fucking good) and your space is only limited to the amount of minidiscs you buy (not that you'll ever fill 40gb with music unless you're a real sad ****).
  • Options
    creative much better

I totally agree with you, i have a creative mp3 player and it is much not. Not only can you play WMA but you can change the battery unlike the Ipods. Also iRiver have a good range of mp3 players.
  • Options
    I have an Ipod that I got cheap in Singapore and to be honest I don't think they're that great, and they're certainly an absolute rip-off in England.

Firstly, it'd be really time-consuming to fill up alllll the memory, so there's loads of wasted space. Secondly, the touch button things are bloody annoying and its really irritating to turn off (if you've got one you might know what i mean!). Plus mines already covered in scratches.
    It's also annoying that the firewire lead is also the one you need to charge the ipod, so you keep having to unplug it from the back of the computer then put it in the plug. Hmm.

The itunes thing I have never even looked at? I just use the songs i've downloaded off kazaa or stuff from CD's. Do you have to pay for songs from itunes or what? Maybe I should look into it...

Heard about the mugging thing with the white ear phones. I lost the earphones on the day i bought the ipod so just use normal ones. I was on the tube in London the other day and there were loads of geeky businessmen with their white earphones, to be honest it looks kinda like a pathetic kind of status symbol.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Pink Soda
    Do you have to pay for songs from itunes or what?
    I use iTunes. If you just use it to play your MP3's, you don't have to pay. If you want to download stuff from there, then yes, you have to pay. I'm not sure how much or anything.
  • Options
    79p a song i believe the cost is

in america and rest of europe works out to be about 55p a song and apples reason

'we charge what we can get away with'
  • Options
    Originally posted by AlmightyBob

but every mp3 player i see has such a useless amount of space....or is obscenely expensive....:confused:

Thing is though, as well as using an iPod to store music, you can also use it to back up files from your computer onto. Anyway, if i were you, i wouldn't be thinking about buying an iPod right now. Apparently they are going to be releasing a new model in the next couple of months, which will have more storage.
  • Options
    Originally posted by PartyAnimal1245
    Thing is though, as well as using an iPod to store music, you can also use it to back up files from your computer onto. Anyway, if i were you, i wouldn't be thinking about buying an iPod right now. Apparently they are going to be releasing a new model in the next couple of months, which will have more storage.
    the one they are releasing soon in a cut down version of the ipod called an ipod mini

i just got my ipod delivered a few days ago and i am very pissed off cause my motherboard dont have a firewire port only a usb port so i gotta send off for another cable and wait longer before i can use it... :(
  • Options
    i really really love my minidisc player, but a ipod type thing really appeals to me! ive looked at mp3 players on ebay and everything, but thier all like will be sent from hong kong. can anyone give me some recommendations on what to get? and for it to be reasonably cheap?