Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

Compulsive Liars

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Who is a compulsive liar? Or who used to be one? I won't to know why you do it and if you even know you're doing it.........

Comments

• Options
    If someone says they are a compulsive liar, how do you know if they are telling the truth? And as for the question, I don't think I'm one.
  • Options
    im not a compulsive liar but in the past i have told someone a lie, which has then got told to others so i've had to keep up with it.
    but im not a compulsive liar, im careful now what i say and try my best not to twist the truth even a little bit
  • Options
    i tend not to lie
  • Options
    does anyone here get not carried away when they are telling a story and they say the whole truth without adding extras? Or do most people exaggerate?
    How come no one admits to telling lots of lies? I know why really i'm just trying to make the compulsive liars own up.
  • Options
    i was one....i would lie about stupid things and i ddin't even realised i was doing it.....weird:rolleyes:
  • Options
    Sure everyone exagerates (sp?) a bit sometimes. I am far fomr a compulsive liar though. I don't like it.
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    I always exaggerate, but usually in ways that are easy to identify, like "this hasn't happened to me for centuries".
  • Options
    I'll own up to being a liar. But only about little things. And NEVER with regards to other peoples feelings or leading people on. Just about stuff like say someone texts me, and when i get it having a moment or someting and i dont reply so i tell them i was asleep, or didn't get it. Or if someone asks how i am, i just say fine. even i'm not. I'm trying to stop the bigger lies, but sometimes it makes stuff easier.
  • Options
    I'm certainly not a compulsive liar, but like everyone, tell the occasional white lie. :p
  • Options
    I would never compulsivly lie, ive told a white lie in the past, i think everyone has. Id never make something awful up though, like i have been accused of in the past until i proved it. Ive found that compulsive liars tend to accuse other people of lieing a lot.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Girl_gunner
    I'll own up to being a liar. But only about little things. And NEVER with regards to other peoples feelings or leading people on. Just about stuff like say someone texts me, and when i get it having a moment or someting and i dont reply so i tell them i was asleep, or didn't get it. Or if someone asks how i am, i just say fine. even i'm not. I'm trying to stop the bigger lies, but sometimes it makes stuff easier.

yeah what she said.
  • Options
    the only thing ive lied about is denying things ive done, which is really no-ones buissness except mine and whoever else was concerned

people still get pissed off at it, but to be honest its none of there concern and i certainly dont have to admit every single thing i do
  • Options
    I've lied in the past, and tbh, I don't think theres one person that could say they haven't. Well, they could, but they'd be lying :p

I've told white lies, like "Sorry, its my nan's birthday, I cant come out tonight" when I just don't want to. I've been in situations though where lying is sometimes the best option - I.E. It'll make everyone feel better etc. It's just natural behaviour. To tell the truth though, I think I can actually lie quite well, if I have to.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Zalbor
    I always exaggerate, but usually in ways that are easy to identify, like "this hasn't happened to me for centuries".

:yes:

or 'sorry i'm late, the bus didn't turn up for 12 years'.

i do lie, thought it's pretty much always to ease a dodgy situation, or to get me out of trouble. heh. and there have been days where i was too 'ill' to go to work. shame ;)

it really bothers me when people lie about big stuff though. i don't mind people exaggerating their stories a little, or adding the stuff they wish they said but actually didn't. but when they just big fat make stuff up, it really gets to me. especially when it's blatantly obvious they're lying, and they just won't admit to it.
  • Options
    I know of a couple of people who just can't help but lie. Well, mabye they're not lying, but if not then they're pushing the exagerations to the limit.
    One of them, for example, told us he had a motorway accident. Later this was apparently him falling off a motorway bridge onto the motorway. Then later he said that he'd been blown off by high winds. Then later he said he'd been drunk and stoned when it happend. You'd think that would be pushing it a bit...
    Then later he said when he'd landed in the fast lane, and been run over by a car! And was in hospital in a coma. Later he said that he'd discharged himself after only being in hospital for only three days, and that his remarkable recovery (that amazed the doctors of course) was down to natural herbal homeopathic treatments. :eek2: He just didn't know when to stop, and quit with the tales! Every time he said something about his "motorway accident" it changed! :no:
  • Options
    I can't stand people who lie to friends and then keep lying. It's like when people lie about illness, it's insulting to those who are really ill.
  • Options
    I used to, and I knew I was doing it. I never felt I was good enough as just me so would say that my dad's got a porsche, or something. I carried this on until high school :eek2: even though most kids grow out of it. It was only in yr 10 when I realised the apparent value of honesty I decided to stop. I would say something like "Oh yeah I've been to Africa - - Sorry, that's a lie" :confused:

Now I don't lie :D
  • Options
    There is a time and a place to lie. e.g. when a dodgy bloke is hassling you for fags and you say "sorry don't smoke" when you really do but just want to get out of the immediate vacinity.
    Or when trying to spare someone's feelings. I will be the most brutally honest person most of the time but i know where tact is needed and sometimes lying comes hand in hand with tact. e.g "you won't go out with me because blah blah blah". You're not going to turn round and say "yep you're right, i think you're hideous".

I did lie once rather badly when 15, let's just say i lived to regret the decision. I did something wrong, police got involved and i lied for personal reasons i'd prefer not to say. A year later i'd realised if i'd told the truth it could have ended in a week. :rolleyes: We all learn in the end.

But my friends bloke is a compulsive liar. Utter bullshit just spews forth from his mouth the majority of the time.
  • Options
    Flake_MustaineFlake_Mustaine Posts: 1,261 Wise Owl
    People never believe me when I tell the truth :p But I don't like to lie, I once caused a lot of trouble between friends coz i told different things to different people. - not compulsively, well.. maybe.. whatever though, it went a bit nasty and it all exploded up badly, and now i'm Mr Honesty. :) I prefer it this way.
  • Options
    We have a compulsive bullshitter at work, I've seriously never met anything like him. He's done it all. It's not just the odd story here and there, it's relentless bullshit

Uncle Albert we call him, he came to us from the navy.
  • Options
    my parents think that i lie all the time because they have a bad memory,mine being pretty good,if i say something that happened when i was little they hardly remember it so they say i am exaggerating or something like that,i don't like to lie unless the time calls for it
  • Options
    ahh this guy who used to work for us he was amazing such good entertainment and a shameless liar, for example, when he first came here he owned a coach company but wanted to 'not be the boss' for the first time in his life, then he was a millionaire who owned 6 houses ona private estate near us, drove me and a few mates round to see them (in his banger) but couldnt remember 'which ones were his and which ones were his parents', he had 84 stitches in his back (the original figure was 26), he had a brain tumour, he had aids from a tattoo he had done in germany (oddly enough he had it done in portsmouth) and then he finnaly left to go back to the marines to 'do whatever he had to'

ahh it wasnt the same without his bullshit brightening our day :)
  • Options
    One of my mates does this. It really pisses me off. My mum also does things like that. Like she'll say I said something or someoe else said something and she'll add things/change the original story but she mostly does this when she's drunk.
  • Options
    Originally posted by J
    Some people have done all that stuff. I used to wonder if I was going to come accross as a liar when I told people about some of the stuff I've done. You probably wouldn't believe for example that I blagged my way into the V festival for 2 years on the trot and got given VIP wristbands on both occasions and lifts around the site in a landrover, or that I've had close to 20 jobs. I've done loads of stuff, it makes for a rich tapestry.

No, this is different. I'll tell some

At 17 he was a backup jockey in the grandnational

When he was in the navy, he was on the boat that shot at Duran Duran's boat when they were filming their video.

He was the only one aloud to take pictures when there was some sort of boat crash off the coast of Greece a few years ago.

A couple of years ago the sun published something about sending 5 of some sort of ship to Iraq. He sent the sun a letter to tell them they were wrong, there were 6 ships sent to Iraq cos he read the order on the cheif of the navy (Whatever he's called) desk 6 months before.

Only yesterday he was telling me how he just inherited a bass guitar... fine, nothing wrong with that. Then he started telling me about his rockstar days and how he nearly got a recording contract between leaving the navy and joining us.

The other day he told me that he had councelling when he was 7 because he was on the train with his mum and brother. Some guy stuck his head out the window and another train came past and took it off. That's no the best bit though... the head stuck to the front window of the train and the driver had his arm out the window trying to knock the head off.

He constantly talks about buying a porsche or a TVR, he's on £5.45 an hour. He nearly bought one at the motorshow this year apparently.

You know that new drama thing with Trevor from Eastenders? He turned down a role as an extra in that. He also had a chat with Trevor from Eastenders about his role and Trevor asked if he could spend some time with him on the deck, but he said no he didnt have time.

He was on the ship with Prince Andrew. The queen phoned up once and one of his mates answered. The queen asked to speak to Andrew. The guy goes up to Andrew and goes "your mum's on the phone", he got 15 days in prision for that.

Another one of his mates was a footman at buckingham palace. He fancied a leak one day and went by one of the walls of the palace. The queen looked out the window and saw his todger. e got 30 days in Colchester for that.

There's plenty more.
  • Options
    The best thing about these liars and bullshitters, is catching them out, then watching them try to get out of it with more bull.
    What I've done in the past is make a mental note of what they've said, then bring up something that'll make them tell the same story again. Obviously there will be differences, and the story often changes completely, so you can catch them out. It's funny when you start playing it like a sort of game with friends to catch out the bullshitters. :D
  • Options
    Originally posted by Mr_Wobble
    The best thing about these liars and bullshitters, is catching them out, then watching them try to get out of it with more bull.
    What I've done in the past is make a mental note of what they've said, then bring up something that'll make them tell the same story again. Obviously there will be differences, and the story often changes completely, so you can catch them out. It's funny when you start playing it like a sort of game with friends to catch out the bullshitters. :D

Oh yes that's great fun :D. I'm waiting to go in for the kill at the moment. I'm still at the patronising them stage...

"REAAAAAALLLLLLLY?"
    "WOW THATS AMAAAAAAAAZING, DID YOU GET HIS AUTOGRAPH?"
    etc

I dont know if he thinks I'm gullable or he actually believes these stories are true.
  • Options
    i'm an acomplished liar.