Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

Renting in London

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Just wondering how many 'Siters' rent a flat or whatever in or around London.

Have recently got a job in Victoria and living in Colchester at the moment isnt for me a) because of the travel costs and b) that journey everyday could drive me mad.

Hence looking to move closer to or in London. Now my image of London which is wrong (I hope!) is that most places arent great to live and the ones that are cost an absolute fortune! Admittedly this view is based on too much TV in all probability :)

I mean where would people say are good places in London to look at renting in and similarly where is best to avoid? and even better if anyone is doing this and has any advice that would be great......

Comments

• Options
    Rent south of the river, it's greener and cheaper, and you tend to get more space for your cash

Also if you are willing to share a flat/ house you'll get a much nicer place for your cash and loads of young profs do this - Loot every day pretty much from newsagent or online,
    and the guardian guide on a saturday offer flatshare listings.loot
  • Options
    Thanks a lot for that Susie :)
  • Options
    If you're looking for a flat rather than a share I'd recommend

find a property

Found a nice little place for next to nowt in North London there...

oh and user comments about every area in London which is always helpful.
  • Options
    I think that people might slightly exaggerate how bad the bad places are to live. I would also suggest you consider suburbia, if your not too choosy as rents here tend to be cheaper - you can get a fast train from Bromley to Victoria which takes about 15 mins, or a slow one from a similar area which takes about 30 mins.

Hope this helps

Also check out www.upmystreet.co.uk

It has info on lots of different areas.

Sx
  • Options
    Thanks again :thumb:

Will check out those sites mentioned.......
  • Options
    Originally posted by Susie
    Rent south of the river, it's greener and cheaper, and you tend to get more space for your cash
    dont go right on the river though. the flats in the industrial part of greenwich to buy (i know you're looking to rent but examples ya know) are 2 bedroom flats that go for 250-500k
    and they're next to one of those mad gaswork type things