Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

Jealous cat

Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
I thought about posting this in relationships, but it's about human relationships, is it not? :)

So, here's the deal: My dad and his wife had a dog. Then they adopted a cat. Then another cat. Then another dog. The problem is that the second cat is jealous of the new dog (she came after him) and tries to attack her whenever they're in the same room. The dog doesn't even try to hurt him, but he still feels threatened. Is there something they could do to make the cat accept that the dog is staying there but not taking his place?
In a few months, they'll move to a house with a big garden, so they think that since there will be so much more space than the apartment they'll be fine, will that work?

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I don't know how to cure this; we have a cat and whenever there is another animal about it gets incredibly jealous! If you try to reasssure her by giving her affection/attention she just acts mardy, and will walk away. I guess after a while they just have to accept each other, but our cat never had the same confidence it had before when we got our dog, it turned into a right bitch.

Dog's gone now though :p and she loves it.
  • Options
    Give the cat into trouble when it attacksthe dog.
  • Options
    I had that with my old cat strumpet. I ended up getting rid of the cat to my friend, because I think its easier to rehome cats than dogs. She was happier after that.