Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

donating to charity

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
how many of you donate to charity, and how often, and how much, and to what charity?

Like, do you have a direct debit for every month, or every three months or what?

and what are the favourite charities to donate to?

If you do donate, what prompted you to, and if you dont donate - why dont you?

just wondered :)

Comments

• Options
    dont donate very often because i cant really afford to, but I do donate old clothes and stuff to charity shops and buy stuff from them too.
  • Options
    There's no specific charity that I donate to, though I put some spare change in charity boxes if I see them. I've often thought about setting up a thing to pay like £3 a month; 'cause it's not much but I know I'll never get around to it. More recently with my Nan being ill, I'm more likely to donate money to cancer charities. I'm more likely to donate money for rspca, childrens' charities and stuff like that.
  • Options
    I would love to give to charity on a regular basis but being too young for a proper job I don't have the money to. If I am in the financial position to be able to donate when I'm older then I'd do so. :)

Also I like picking up odd things in charity shops and all our old clothes etc go to them.
  • Options
    I donate money to the British Heart Foundation, because the missus' little sister has a very serious heart defect, and I've donated goods to the Childrens' Heart Unit at the Freeman Hospital in Newcastle.

But generally I don't like giving to charity. When the CEO of Oxfam isn't pocketing over £100,000 pa, and NSPCC don't waste millions on marketing campaigns that don't work (instead of hel[ping children), maybe I will start donating to them again.

I aren't going to fund a £100,000 salary, thanks. I do enough of that when I travel by bus.
  • Options
    I dont donate to charity, but i do work for them instead. Anyone can give a few quid each month but it takes effort to actually do the work and volenteer for it.
    The charity I work for is called Kith and Kids and the link for it is in my sig.

PLUG: If anyone wants help out there is a project this summer. Its two weeks long but you can do as many days as you can you dnt need to do the whole thing if you dont have enough time.
    Check out more info from the link in my sig. Thanks:)
  • Options
    I give £2 a month to Friends of the Earth, £3 a month to RSPCA and £3 a month to Amnesty International.

Why? Well FoE is basically my membership 'fee', I give to RSPCA because a hunk knocked on my door. I had every intention of cancelling because it was £6 a month but my mum said she's make up the other £3 and I give to Amnesty as it is a cause I strongly believe in.
  • Options
    I don't think I have ever thought about giving to charity in direct debit... Me old dear donates to NSPCC but I always put my loose change in cancer boxes more then others because I always figured if I don't die of old age, I'm gonna die of cancer.

Sounds kind of selfish but it's not because this would apply to a heck of alot of other people too.

I think somebody on this site got VERY irrate with me when somethign about charities came up and I said something I shouldn't have maybe sayin a particular charity is rubbish but they made me open my eyes.

For those of you who think your few pennies won't make a difference SHAME ON YOU. If everyone who bought that 49p mars bar or 2.99 magazine put thier shrapnel in the tin by the counter instead of the few warm hearted ones, the charities would have a heck of alot more income. So it DOES count and it DOES make a difference.

I think I just remembered who it was ages ago that had a right go at me and made me realise I was a jerk. Morrocan Roll twas!!
  • Options
  • Options
    I don't because i can't afford to.
  • Options
    Ive been a member of WDCS for nearly 4years now, its a whale/dolphin thing, its £3 a month, my mum does it for me though cos i dont have a card. I also donate clothes to oxfam and BHF, and another one that i cant remember the name of :( x
  • Options
    Originally posted by lucifer devil
    I've often thought about setting up a thing to pay like £3 a month; 'cause it's not much but I know I'll never get around to it.

I donate to cancer research - and set the direct debit up through their website. It says there's seven pages to complete but its only like a question on each page and its really quick - took me less than five minutes. They're good aswell because you can specify how much you want to donate, and whether you want to do it every month, quarterly or annually. And, if you're a tax payer you can click a special box which means that cancer research can reclaim the tax on your donation, so say you donated ten pounds, they'd actually get just over twelve - and it doesnt ycost you any more than what you choose to donate.
  • Options
  • Options
    I give the odd bit of money to them little boxes but I do more work. I'm a police cadet and I'm at a charity event every other weekend, sometimes more. I think I've done around 100 hours charity work since april. I am also starting at the hospital doing a little work which is a little charitable I suppose
  • Options
    Originally posted by Zella
    Anyone can give a few quid each month but it takes effort to actually do the work and volenteer for it.

but that doesn't mean that people who just give money to charity aren't doing enough. Anyway, I don't give regularly to charities because I don't have the money and just generally can't be arsed setting up one of those things. but I give money to charity boxes and the like.
  • Options
    I don't actually donate money. I put tins in the cat and dog bin everytime we go shopping for the local rescue homes as then it's more certain you know where it's going instead of into some advertising scheme etc.
    I also do cancer research's run for life each year as then i feel like i'm helping out more that way. Raised about £450 last year so am aiming for a bit more this year.
  • Options
    I donate clothes to British Heart Foundation and Cancer Reasearch UK. I also do the Race For Life. I give blood to. I don't like giving money i prefer to do more helpful things.
  • Options
    by direct debit i give £5 to cancer uk and £5 to shelter. i give to cancer uk as my aunt and my friends mum suffered from breast cancer and i give to shelter as homlessness really upsets me. i cant imagine what its like not to have a warm place to put your head down at night.

ive also just raised £250 for diabetes uk by doing a sponsored walk. i did this because i have diabetes myself and my brother also has it. the last time i gave money to diabetes uk was like when i was ten and did a sponsored silence. it just dawned on me one day that i gave money to other charities but never to my own cause so i got off my ass and did something.

oh and i also donated £10 to debra after watching the program about the young guy johnny with the disease eb(i think thats what it was). i got so upset by the program and decided rather than get upset ide do something about it and give them a liitle money, not much but it was something.
  • Options
    i do a spot of fundraising for st. gemmas hospice in leeds, donate all my old clothes to their charity shop, buy loads back, and put my pennies in the tin. this is my charity cause two of my close family members died there, and they do a remarkable job. they get no NHS or private funding, and the only money they get is by fundraising and donations. so i know they'll actually use my money rather than just paying students £10 an hour to scavenge the streets for donations.

pardon me for being sceptical about the charities that do that.
  • Options
    Originally posted by kaffrin
    so i know they'll actually use my money rather than just paying students £10 an hour to scavenge the streets for donations.

I detest any charity that does that, and do not give money to them on principle.

Though it does tend to be the rather more, erm, immoral charities that do it- Oxfam, Greenpeace, and so on.

St. Gemma's is an excellent charity, they used to have a lottery thingy in Morrison's but they took it out after the National Lottery started:(
  • Options
    Originally posted by Kermit
    St. Gemma's is an excellent charity, they used to have a lottery thingy in Morrison's but they took it out after the National Lottery started:(

they still have a lottery - they share it with wheatfields hospice, but i'm not sure how they advertise it anymore.
  • Options
    Originally posted by kaffrin
    they still have a lottery - they share it with wheatfields hospice, but i'm not sure how they advertise it anymore.

I shall have to find out, me thinks.

A Good Catholic Hospice needs all the help it can get :yes:
  • Options
    http://www.hospicelottery.co.uk/

:thumb:

also http://www.st-gemma.co.uk/ (my dad built this site!)