Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

Digital Cameras

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Any experts know some of the best about at the minute?

The Canon IXUS 500 looks quality and not a bad review to be found on it so edging towards that at the minute- need one for travels soon.........

Comments

• Options
    Im not an expert, but i was just wondering, how much you are willing to pay. I have Nikon one, and its really good :D
  • Options
    i have a canon ixus 500 - i would definitely recommend it! i love it.

i used to have a kodak easyshare as well, to take out with me on nights out etc.. just a cheapo one incase i lost it. it wasn't amazing, but it did the job. although yes, i lost it.
  • Options
    Computer forum:p
  • Options
    Surely 'Anything Goes' is a lot more relevant than 'Computers and the Net'? :confused:
  • Options
    Originally posted by Narcotic
    Surely 'Anything Goes' is a lot more relevant than 'Computers and the Net'? :confused:

Didgital cameras is computer related:)
  • Options
    i'd think its fine here. tis not a really a computer and they wouldn't even need one to get the photos what with the chemists etc printing em now...

dont get a magpix one! i used to have one and it was terrible! it wont let me upload the photos on it.
    so i pinched my mums one
  • Options
    Helltitz is right. If we want to get picky, a computer is a programmable electronic machine used for storing, processing and retrieving data.

It does depend on how much you are willing to pay, but why not go to somewhere technical and ask their opinion. They'll suggest something because they only want a sale, but you don't have to buy it there and then and you can go home and check the Interweb for reviews.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Capacity
    Helltitz is right.

:eek: never thought I'd hear you say them words EVER:D
  • Options
    Originally posted by Lexxie*
    i have a canon ixus 500 - i would definitely recommend it! i love it.

i used to have a kodak easyshare as well, to take out with me on nights out etc.. just a cheapo one incase i lost it. it wasn't amazing, but it did the job. although yes, i lost it.

I've got the Canon IXUS 500 too..got it cheap in Singapore. Would definitely recommend it although the buttons are a little fiddley.

Also had the Kodak easyshare before this! It was ok, not great quality pictures but so cheap I wasn't really bothered.
    Left it in a taxi after a drunken night out though!
  • Options
    My friends mom just got a Canon Ixus and it's great.
  • Options
    I just changed mine from fuji to a nikon. Much better camera tbh. Question for you, Is the pixel rate a big thing for you ? For me it wasnt because i have a very good qaulity printer but in saying taht the new camera is 3.2 mega pixels. so thats a good amount.

heh i used to sell em at dixons ;)
  • Options
    The best advice I have on buying digital cameras is if quality and ease of use is important, them buy one from one of the big brand names that have been making cameras for years.
    Nikon, Canon, Minolta, Kodak, Fuji, etc.
    If you wish to print out high quality prints up to 10x8 inches (or A4) size, then get at least 4 Megapixels. If you'll only view the pictures on the PC, or TV, or make smaller 6x4 prints, then 2-3 Megapixels will suffice.

Buy one from a camera shop. They will be able to give you the best advice, and let you have a go with the camera in the shop, and should be able to instantly download the pictures so you can compare quality on screen right there and then. Don't buy a digital camera from somewhere that can't let you have a go, and show you the results, or you may end up being dissapointed, and then stuck with that camera, or goods from that shop you bought it from (check returns policies before buying).

There are plenty of good, cheap, non big brand name cameras out there, but they're harder to find and try before you buy.