Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

please help:[ windows madness

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
fucking thing.

brand new laptop and i can even get on the net. check it.

So, basically everytime i connect to the internet about a couple minutes later i get an error message coming up saying my system will shut down in 1 minute and it gives me a countdown.

It names a file in windows settings...windows>>system32>>lsass.exe.

it says its triggered by NT authority, or at least NT AUTHORITY comes up with that same error box. Its not I.E because i tried mozilla and it did the same thing, my puter wont do it on its on, only when connected. Im sure you can see how fucking annoying this would be:P

please give info.

p.s damn spyware also.

Comments

• Options
    JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    Sounds like you've got the sasser worm/virus.

When the countdown starts, go to start > run, and run the command shutdown -a. That's the "shutdown" command, with the "-a" option, which stands for "abort the pending shutdown". Press OK to this which should cancel the countdown for the time being.

Then visit Symantec security , which gives you full removal instructions.
  • Options
    thanx man.

fucking hero, ill try it out:]
  • Options
    Originally posted by x .beepbeep.
    thanx man.

fucking hero, ill try it out:]

Any other problems give us a shout mate
  • Options
    that worked dude, first go.

but now my fucking explorers are fuct, i cant think why they wont open pages..or if they do its like 10% of the time. Usual windows bull...cannot display page etc etc. It could be anything though really. I removed mozilla because it was dead, but i.e is fook.

Anything withit being a new computer that i should tweak or change?
  • Options
    Check your connection settings with those of your ISP and generally just check all the internet settings are OK.
  • Options
    That's the Sasser virus. It did what Blaster did last year, except that Blaster was much more widespread.

To prevent the virus in the first place (both Blaster + Sasser), you need to turn on the Windows firewall for the connection you use. Click on Start > Connect to > Show all connections. On the connections screen, right-click and choose properties on the connection you want to firewall.
  • Options
    so which removal worm do i need? theres a fair few listen on that site:-]
  • Options
    so which removal worm do i need? theres a fair few listen on that site:-]
  • Options
    Beep,

I take it you're on Symantec's download site? You need the Sasser removal tool. Windows firewall will stop the actions of Sasser etc, but for an all-round fix you need an antivirus program. I don't know of any PC/laptop in this day and age that doesn't come supplied with Norton or Panda. You better stick it on.