Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

Going to gigs on your own?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
At the risk of sounding a complete loner; there's a Gillian Welch gig I want to go to in Manchester in a couple of weeks time and none of my friends are ino that sort of music. The last time I brought a friend with me to a gig who wasn't particularly fond of the artist just constantly slagged him off after the gig and saying he wished he'd never been.

So I'd much rather go on my own and enjoy myself than go with someone who is just going to keep me company and doesn't really want to be there. Does anyone else go to gigs on their own?
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    never done it myself but i'm sure you'll meet someone in the place itself and if you're going for the music, then you don't need a friend, IMO
  • Options
    i've never doen it but as turlough said im sure you will meet someone there plus you dont really talk to your mates while in your the place whilst the music is blurring. it'll be a new experience for you im sure lol. i wen to the cinema once on my own, wasnt as bad as i imagined :p
  • Options
    yeh done it a few times and had mainly a good time, cept for feeling lonely whilst waitin for bands to come on! Still I coped by people watching! I prefer to go to gigs with just my bro-we get eachother, know if we wanna stand elsewhere that we can and don't have to worry bout if the other likes it as we like the same stuff. Guarantees me a taxi sharer too!

Hate gigs with the other half-i'm hot enough without being cuddled to death!

So go on your own, have a drink, have a godd time and don't worry bout looking like a loner, you will soon spot many other single gig going ppl there-i did!

best alone gig: - terrorvision
    worst alone gig: crackout as was so blindingly obvious and i looked a prat! The gig rocked tho!
  • Options
    Personally, i probably wouldnt go to a gig alone unless it was an amazing band that i couldnt miss. I like the company and having someone to "play" with .lol. You know...like a partner in crime kinda thing. This is mainly cuz half the gigs i go to i end up on my arse in the mosh pit or in need of someone to skank with or sumthing so...its a requirement,
  • Options
    i would. Especially if its for the music. Last time i went to a gig alone i ended up with a boyfriend, and were still together!
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    For most of the concerts I've gone to, I was alone. The only difference when someone else was with me was having someone to chat with before it starts. When the band/singer starts playing, I don't even notice anyone around, so I don't think it really makes a difference.
  • Options
    I've never done it, because the gf is into the same music as me, but if there was I band I really wanted to see then I would.

It does feel embarasssing, because you think everyone sees you by yourself, but nobody would even notice.
  • Options
    i did once i think. it was great fun, met some really interesting people haha
  • Options
    I often to go the gigs on my own, but meet up with my gig mates when we're there...

You could look for a forum/message board for that particular band, make some friends and meet up with them?
    I've made some awesome life long friends at the HIM forum I'm a member of. I know that I'll never be stuck with no one to go with, coz they'll all be there...

Ilora x
  • Options
    I've also made a gig buddy from kinesis supporting Inme. Now we see each other at gigs fairly often. She went alone and bumped into me and my pal, next time I went alone and bumped into her and her pal! Great fun!
  • Options
    Yeah I have the same problem, very few of my friends are into the same kind of music. I've often gone to punk gigs by myself and never thought anything of it, just there to see the band like everyone else I guess. It's just waiting for the band to come on when you feel a bit like a loner!
    It's going to see local bands at smaller venues that I find a little more embarassing. Went to see this band the other night in a bar by myself, think people thought I was a little odd, but at least they spoke to me. It's a good way to meet like-minded people I guess.
  • Options
    I went to Ozzfest in 2002 at Donington on my own. Was a lot of fun and a different experience. Met a lot of interesting people and still managed to get pretty wasted.
  • Options
    Flake_MustaineFlake_Mustaine Posts: 1,261 Wise Owl
    I went to see Queens Of The Stone Age on my own.. all the waiting around stuff sucks coz everyone else has someone to talk to.. Though some kids took pity on me stood all alone and told me some lame jokes :D - but once you're inside and the music starts, it doesn't matter at all :) And i guess if (unlike me) you're a real talky person, you'd probably find people to talk with anyway :)
  • Options
    I've gone to gigs, raves, pubs and holidays on my own and had a fantastic time. You should go for it.
  • Options
    I went to V last year on my own and had a great time. Chances are you'll meet people there who you'll get along with but even if you don't there's no shame in just enjoying the music on your own.