Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

Shocked

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I am helping out in a charity shop untill I get a proper paid job. Anyway I was in the Shop yesterday and me and this other lady who works there were sorting books out and we had to chuck loads of books out because the books spines were creased or the edges were turned up or they were a bit grubby. I was totally shocked by this! :eek:

Comments

• Options
    Re: Shocked
    Originally posted by *lil~miss*
    I am helping out in a charity shop untill I get a proper paid job. Anyway I was in the Shop yesterday and me and this other lady who works there were sorting books out and we had to chuck loads of books out because the books spines were creased or the edges were turned up or they were a bit grubby. I was totally shocked by this! :eek:
    wait till you realise that very litlle of it actualy goes to the charity concerned!
  • Options
    Has anybody noticed how expensive some charity shops are these days? I know the money goes to the charity but I'd rather just give them a donation than pay more for a t-shirt in a charity shop than I would in H&M! :(
  • Options
    Re: Re: Shocked
    Originally posted by morrocan roll
    wait till you realise that very litlle of it actualy goes to the charity concerned!

Yeah I know that. Still instead of just binning the books they could have donated them to hospitals or something. Such a waste.
  • Options
    Originally posted by BumbleBee
    Has anybody noticed how expensive some charity shops are these days? I know the money goes to the charity but I'd rather just give them a donation than pay more for a t-shirt in a charity shop than I would in H&M! :(

:yes: It sucks, a few dont but they tend to be the ones that smell bad.
  • Options
    Re: Shocked
    Originally posted by *lil~miss*

Yup, plus if the clothes aren't totally perfect they throw them away too, at least they did when I worked in Barnardos.
  • Options
    Originally posted by dominatrix
    Yup, plus if the clothes aren't totally perfect they throw them away too, at least they did when I worked in Barnardos.

Two words:

rag. bin.

As for scruffy books, if they aren't good enough for charities they aren't good enough for hospitals.
  • Options
    jeans and stuff that i use for working in a fiver and shirts three quid at asda ...cheaper than charity shops.
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    Originally posted by dominatrix

I hads to do a large part of my Community Service at Barnardo's. Sorting ironing and tagging clothes. Every bloody sunday.
    The bonus was that if any good gear came in I could have it for free. :D
    I came away with some plush Wharfdale's in the end.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options

depends which charity.

my dad works for the charity shops which fund one of the hospices in leeds, and all the money they make goes either to the hospice, or to pay the wages of the people that work there. only the managers of the shop get a salary, and even then, it's nothing to write home about. they are making a whole lot of money for the charity every year.

anything that gets thrown out they still get money for, as recycling companies/the rag man will pay for it.

the reason some clothes are more in the charity shops than cheaper high street shops are cause the people who price them have no idea of the value of the brands. quite often, in the charity shops near us, you will find an asda t-shirt priced the same as a D&G shirt, or cheapy jeans priced the same as diesel. they just have no idea.
  • Options
    Re: Re: Re: Shocked
    Originally posted by kaffrin
    depends which charity.

my dad works for the charity shops which fund one of the hospices in leeds,
    your correct. i know from experience that the hospice shops do indeed use the money correctly and usualy the animal welfare ones but ...those for the disabled and the mental ...are quite blatantly coining it in and missusing the dosh.
  • Options
    I am helping out in the Cancer Research.
  • Options
    Re: Re: Re: Shocked
    Originally posted by Kermit
    Two words:

rag. bin.

But sometimes when, say, a shirt is missing one button, or the clothes are decent but unwashed, that's just a waste.
  • Options
    Re: Re: Re: Re: Shocked
    your correct. i know from experience that the hospice shops do indeed use the money correctly and usualy the animal welfare ones but ...those for the disabled and the mental ...are quite blatantly coining it in and missusing the dosh.

yeah, quite possibly.

see the hospices (well, at least the hospice i know of) relies entirely on donations, and on the revenue from these shops. hospices are expensive to run. if they misused the money from them, there's no way they could afford to stay open. it's probably the same for the RSPCA type ones.

but research charities could do what they wanted with the money, and i suppose no one would ever know....