Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

B & B owner refuses to rent double bed room to gay couple

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    well kermit put what i put simply so yeh i agree with him, damn him being centre right when i tend agree with him on social politics like this
    Originally posted by wheresmyplacebo
    damn him being centre right when i tend agree with him on social politics like this

:lol:

Everyone should agree with me;)
    Was listenening to this little story on Radio 5 the other day. They interviewed the B&B Owner, the Tourist Board and the aggrieved "customer". Interesting to get all three sides of the story.

I have no doubt that the man his a homophobe, he made that quite clear, but there is also concern that this story hit the media before he had actually been abusive...

Interestingly the B&B owner broke no laws. It is within his rights to refuse a double room if he wants.

The reason that his details have been removed by the Tourist Board is because of the offensive nature of his e-mails to the customer. These were apparently sent after the B&B owner had recieved several abusive e-mails from the "customer's" friends and enquiries from the media about his "refusal" to let a room.
    Originally posted by Man Of Kent
    Interestingly the B&B owner broke no laws. It is within his rights to refuse a double room if he wants.

As it should be.

If he doesn't want a cack-pipe cosmonaut in his hotel, then let him rant and rave about shit stabbers, benders and queers.

Freedom, innit?
    Originally posted by Kermit
    As it should be.

Absolutely.

He wasn't refusing them a room, he was refusing them a double bed. There was nothing to stop them from accepting that.

But no, instead we have a media story which just created more animosity.
    Well clearly a man who is so repulsed at the idea of two men sharing a bed is not exactly best suited to run a B & B.

I'm not saying he shouldn't be allowed to run it. But clearly his B & B deserved no praise or promotion from an official agency such as the Scottish Tourism Board. Removing him from the 'recommended' list was a bit of a no-brainer IMO.
    Originally posted by Aladdin
    But clearly his B & B deserved no praise or promotion from an official agency such as the Scottish Tourism Board. Removing him from the 'recommended' list was a bit of a no-brainer IMO.

definitely.

But I don't see why there is such a media furore.

I'd go and stop at his B&B just to spite the litte turds who leaked the story.
    Originally posted by Aladdin
    But clearly his B & B deserved no praise or promotion from an official agency such as the Scottish Tourism Board. Removing him from the 'recommended' list was a bit of a no-brainer IMO.

It was a no-brainer because of the offensive way in which he expressed his views.

I cannot fault him for not wanting homosexuals to share a bed in his house. I can fault him for referring to is refusal as "not condone such perversions", because that is a different tact.

The man is an idiot though, single beds don't stop people having sex. If I had been them I would have taken up the offer of two single beds, and then had the noisyest sex possible...
    Because the B&B is also his home the gent has every right to allow or disallow whomever he likes.
    I don't particularly like people in the BNP.
    However if I were this bloke, under your same views it would be illegal for me to not allow someone who is in the BNP from entering my premises.
    What if I were Asian? Could I face having my buisness black listed because I barred people who's views were completely alien to me?

If you think in those situations the Asian would be perfectly entitled to bar a BNP member, then you can't take the moral highground on this issue. The white, middle aged owner is just as entitled to bar people if their views don't fit his own.
    Bit of a culture clash here, gays going to remote areas where 'Sex in the city' or 'Queer as Folk' will not be compulsive viewing for dour, probably religious folk. A bit of tact required from both sides
    I don't particularly like people in the BNP.

Not so very relevant here, no particular sexual predilections it reveals a minor obsession perhaps?
    Nope, I don't dislike gays, black people, asians e.t.c
    I do dislike bigotted scum. Oh well.
    My friends father is a copper, he knows them well enough to shun their company, a lot of people feel uncomfortable with themas they feel they might grass. Would a B&B Owner be within his right to refuse a copper?

Where does it all end?
    well when it ruins your business prospects cause the only person youll allow in is yourself!
    Well, since he has the "right" to prevent homosexuals into his home because he is a prejudiced dufus, then he also has the right to be black listed.

In the US, you can be a Neo-Nazi and speak your views, but don't be surprised when people speak their views back to you and call you putrid degenerate with oatmeal masquerading as brain matter. :rolleyes:
    Originally posted by Kermit
    It's his property, so he can choose what goes.

Shops can refuse admission to any person, and they do not have to give a reason.

The tourist board should put his property on a blacklist, and leave it at that. Don't make a martyr out of the little turd.

Remind me again, why is Scotland so fucking wonderful?
    An opinion of a sober, clever, just guy. What do you heed more? I can’t see any reason of this stupid discussion to go on. Whether you are a gay or a homophobe or something nobody never heard… so what? Your hotel is your hotel, your shop is your shop, your factory is your factory, your home is your castle. It is why Scotland is just Scotland not North Korea. Plain and simple.
    Originally posted by USA#1-TrQ
    Well, since he has the "right" to prevent homosexuals into his home because he is a prejudiced dufus, then he also has the right to be black listed.

In the US, you can be a Neo-Nazi and speak your views, but don't be surprised when people speak their views back to you and call you putrid degenerate with oatmeal masquerading as brain matter. :rolleyes:

And I'm asking the question, if he were black and did exactly the same thing and wouldn't allow someone from a white supremeist organisation into his hotel would you be saying the same thing?
    No, I would not say the same thing in terms of a black guy denying access to a Supremist. However, I would agree with his anger toward the White Supremist, and I would sympathize with his anger.

However, I do NOT think the black guy should allowed to ban the person from staying at his hotel. I don't think it is equitable; although I do understand why he would feel that way.

The reason that we have the right to free speech in the United States, which is upheld by our Constitution, is to protect even the upopular voices from speaking and that would include White Supremists. I think their views such raw eggs, but I don't think they should have their voices squelched, and they should not be discriminated against in hiring practice, or logding, or else, we would return to the days of racial/religious segregation that is sanctioned by law. In both cases, a person is denying another person services based on a dislike of his/her belief system.

Let's take your example and extend it....What if grocery stores decided that they would deny selling food to White Supremists? Well, one might argue that this is ok, because the grocery store is a "private business." However, some products are NECESSITIES and to deny access to them by a company is to step on the rights of the White Supremist.

As for your example, you realize that it is unlikely that the black guy's complaint against the White Supremist, will result in his getting "black listed" because many people detest racial bigotry these days. So in that respect, the society polices itself. Laws are created when the society is not doing its job properly in policing itself.

I'm not 100% sure, but in the USA, I think that to deny a person logding based on gender, sex, religion, etc is grounds for a civil suit for damages (I think). So if a company (like a hotel) is denying people services based on being a White Supremist OR on being homosexual, then that would be a potentially unethical and illegal business practice. In that case, they have the right to blacklist that person in order to maintain their own reputation.

So in other words, I don't have a double standard as far as how I think the two situations should be handled (the White Supremist and the homosexual incident). Although my personal beliefs may differ with respect to my OPINION of the White Supremist, I still think both the homosexual and the White Supremist deserve access to services. The Supremists should not be discriminated against based on their rather odious philosophical beliefs.
    Originally posted by ladymuck
    My friends father is a copper, he knows them well enough to shun their company, a lot of people feel uncomfortable with themas they feel they might grass. Would a B&B Owner be within his right to refuse a copper?

Where does it all end?

Absurd argument really. People choose to be coppers. People don't choose to be gay/black/asian etc
    Originally posted by ladymuck
    Bit of a culture clash here, gays going to remote areas where 'Sex in the city' or 'Queer as Folk' will not be compulsive viewing for dour, probably religious folk. A bit of tact required from both sides
    I don't think the gay couple were being tactless, other than the 'affront' of being gay and in a relationship.

If the B & B owner is a prejudiced bigoted moron then it is his problem not other people's. He is free to run a B & B but clearly he's not very well suited for such job, and his bigoted stance certainly deserves no support or recognition from an official tourism board.
    But Aladdin, it is his B&B. If he wants to be bigoted he can be. The gay couple have no right to a room there, let alone a double room, and they have acted like spolit little twats.

The B&B owner shouldn't be accredited, but that's where it should stop. The couple shouldn't have gone to media, and shouldn't have started harassing the owner. I have a lot of sympathy with the owner, because of these two people thinking that they own the place.

It's strange how they wouldn't complain if the B&B owner turned away a family because it was "no children".

It does make me wonder, why are they so desperate to stop in a place owned by a bigot anyway?
    I don't think people are asking for anything else than having his premises removed form the tourism board list. Even the gay couple themselves (according to the media reports I've read anyway) were asking just for that.

And frankly I would've been royally pissed off myself if I were them... Why have they acted like spoilt little twats? Because they reacted to coming across a nasty little bigoted homophobe who discriminated against them on the basis of their sexual orientation?

I think their reaction has been quite mild if you ask me. I'd be planning to book the entire B & B with gays and lesbians posing as straight couples and then having a massive same-sex orgy on this good man's B & B if I were them.

Who knows, the owner might see the error of his ways and join in the "perversion" he so despises. :rolleyes:
    Originally posted by USA#1-TrQ

I'm not 100% sure, but in the USA, I think that to deny a person logding based on gender, sex, religion, etc is grounds for a civil suit for damages (I think). So if a company (like a hotel) is denying people services based on being a White Supremist OR on being homosexual, then that would be a potentially unethical and illegal business practice. In that case, they have the right to blacklist that person in order to maintain their own reputation.

I agree with your other points, i wasn't accusing just asking.
    I did however like what you wrote here. I thought one of Bush's plans was to eliminate sexual/religious discrimination from law, making it very difficult for someone to sue a company that discriminates against them for something like sexual orientation or gender.
    According to things I've read he is systematically removing all liberal judges from the courts and "recommending" the places be filled with republican sympathisers.
    As a gay/bisexual young guy, I would say that the B&B owner is entitled to his opinion. It's his establishment.

But as other posters have said, does his morals extend to unmarried straight couples that enjoy anal sex?

If he has these views, he ought to include it in his advertising like people put 'no children' or 'no dogs allowed'. And if his views are not in line with the Scottish Tourism Board, he should not be a member.
    Originally posted by LabRat
    An opinion of a sober, clever, just guy. What do you heed more? I can’t see any reason of this stupid discussion to go on. Whether you are a gay or a homophobe or something nobody never heard… so what? Your hotel is your hotel, your shop is your shop, your factory is your factory, your home is your castle. It is why Scotland is just Scotland not North Korea. Plain and simple.

Not quite true to be honest. I might have a factory and your saying I can let who I want in ? If I refuse to employ a gay person then I could be taken to a tribunial, so your theory aint right.

People can not be allowed to be predjudiced against others, the same as we are with regards to race/colour etc. No kind of discrimination should be acceptable.
    Originally posted by Teagan
    As a gay/bisexual young guy, I would say that the B&B owner is entitled to his opinion. It's his establishment.

But as other posters have said, does his morals extend to unmarried straight couples that enjoy anal sex?

If he has these views, he ought to include it in his advertising like people put 'no children' or 'no dogs allowed'. And if his views are not in line with the Scottish Tourism Board, he should not be a member.

i agree with that he shouldnt be a member if isnt in line with the tourist boards view

but the owner wasnt offended by what theyd do, like as you know not all gay couples have anal sex, but he just didnt believe in gay people involving themselves in sexual activity UNDER HIS ROOF!

personally just to piss him off i'd organise a big gay/lesbian orgy :lol:
    Originally posted by BeckyBoo
    Not quite true to be honest. I might have a factory and your saying I can let who I want in ? If I refuse to employ a gay person then I could be taken to a tribunial, so your theory aint right.

People can not be allowed to be predjudiced against others, the same as we are with regards to race/colour etc. No kind of discrimination should be acceptable.

what about if you discriminate against intelligence or attitude or ability in a job

ie not taking someone cause they lack initiative or have it?
    Originally posted by Teagan

I would have thought there's an act out to protect homosexuals from prejudice.

Anyway, the guy's in the Uk... when in Rome, do as the Romans do.
    Originally posted by MoonRat
    Anyway, the guy's in the Uk... when in Rome, do as the Romans do.

:confused:

If you think what I think you mean, then that is a silly point.

the gays were in his hotel, so they should respect the owner's wishes, however bigoted.
    Originally posted by wheresmyplacebo
    what about if you discriminate against intelligence or attitude or ability in a job

ie not taking someone cause they lack initiative or have it?

if you can't see how fallacious your argument is, i'd start worrying
    comes down to what the b+b owner can do under his own roof sinc ehe does live there

i live under my parent's roof and even if my mums rules seem strange sometimes i have to obide by them even if they are kind of stupid, like she wont let a girl sleep in my bedroom, even if i decided i was gay!!! and her reason is 'just cause' and i respect even though im an adult.