Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

B & B owner refuses to rent double bed room to gay couple

The owner of a Scottish Guest House refused to rent a room with a double bed to a gay couple, arguing that he ran a "respectable" establishment and that he didn't want to condone the gay men's "perversion" or offend other guests.

The gay couple has asked the Scottish Tourism Board to remove the B & B from a list of recommended guest houses. In an attempt to defuse the row the Board has the landlord to reconsider but he has refused to back down.

The landlord said that he wasn't homophobic, adding that "I have no hatred or fear of poofs" and that "bent people" had come and stayed before in twin beds.

Full story:

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/040629/323/ewyxm.html

Whereas a person has the right to admit or deny admission to anyone wanting to stay at their house this man is not exactly best suited to operate a Tourism Board-registered Bed and Breakfast.

I think this B & B should at least be removed from the list of recommended guest houses the Tourism Board has; perhaps a red flag warning about homophobia should be added to the details as well...

Thoughts?
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Im sure that straight couples would have done worse in the room.....

Its just pure homophobia though, it should not be tolerated.

Oh if only Monocrat was here to see this..... ;)
  • Options
    The gay couple has asked the Scottish Tourism Board to remove the B & B from a list of recommended guest houses

I's not Bed & Bawd!

It's a far-flung area not used to trendy, cosmopolitan views, the landlord is entitled to stipulate what happens under his roof
  • Options
    I don't know how it works but I'd imagine there are some governing rules regarding opening your house up as a Bed and Breakfast to the public, and linking it to the Tourism Board.

My guess is one of such rules would be to treat everyone equally and fairly, and to avoid being a prejudiced bigoted homophobe if you want to run a B&B open to the general public.

Which this bloke clearly fails to achieve.
  • Options
    Originally posted by J
    There's something less wholesome about gay sex, if you say there isn't then your probably lying to yourself and to me.
    Er, no. It's a matter of personal opinion. I know a few gay men who are genuinely repulsed at the idea of having sex with a woman. Their opinion is every bit as valid as yours.

Gay men are lustful, they like ze cock.
    Nice generalisation there...

Whereas straight men are by no means thinking about pussy at all... :rolleyes:
    Incidently this is coming from someone who ws lured into gay sex by a grown man who knew at the age I was I'd be sexualy curious. It's a stain on the history sheet if you ask me.
    And don't start anti-gay bashing me, that would be politicaly incorrect and you seem to be all in for loss of opinion.
    These are just the gates my friends, although I can't blame you for not having the foresight to see it.
    And how many young women have been lured into sex by predatory, 100% straight men?

I'm sorry if you had a bad experience. You cannot judge a whole group by the actions of a few. Since most cases of paedophilia are perpetrated within the family by perfectly straight fathers and uncles, should we be saying that straight blokes are all paedos?
  • Options
    Re: B & B owner refuses to rent double bed room to gay couple
    Originally posted by Aladdin

The gay couple has asked the Scottish Tourism Board to remove the B & B from a list of recommended guest houses. In an attempt to defuse the row the Board has the landlord to reconsider but he has refused to back down.

I don't understand the logic of this.
    Why would they want to stay there after being treated so cruelly? And furthermore pay for the room.
  • Options
    What a bloody thing this Tourist Board is?
    If they are a private association they are free to draw any signs on their maps like Homophobes Banned or Homophobes Welcomed.
    If they are the government’s department they must write on their maps We Are Thugs Please Ignore Our Advices.
  • Options
    Originally posted by J
    But doing a bloke in the backside turns them on.
    Well doing girls in the backside turns me on a lot.

Whatever floats people's boat and all that ;)
  • Options
    As I said earlier I don't know the rules but I'd imagine that in the same way as the owner of a store open to the general public cannot ban black people or gay people from entering their premises, the owner of a B&B open to the public could be governed by similar rules.

I don't think there is anything illegal about what the bloke has done... but the Tourism Board would be within its right to remove the B & B from its 'recommended' list.
  • Options
    Its clearly discrimination, if he had not allowed them to have the room because of their colour, religion etc then this would have got him in deep shit.

Narrow, minded idiot, I say.
  • Options
    ah the sole liber would of had a field day!

but back to subject... if he ran the B+B as his own b+b with no link to the tourism board then he could let who he wants stay and i'd fully agree with his right to make a decision

but with a link to tourism board which surely just has to allow anyone as long as they dont cause a major nuisance then surely he has to obide by it and allow them to stay regardless of personal opinions

thats just my opinion anyway

and to J - you have your right to your own opinion but your letting this fall into a flaming match... i personally agree with you on it seeming un-natural but to all intensive purposes the b+b owner has made a bigger deal than what it was... him not wanting them there wont stop them being gay and comparing this to your bad experience growing - no matternhow bad it was - these are 2 consenting adults and well they can do what they want to eachother, they arent harming eachother (unless they like S+M that is)
  • Options
    Originally posted by J
    No that's right. We must all bow down to political correctness. We can have no opinions, and we must fall in line with this new world order of amalgamated belief. In the end we wont be able to say a word, nobody will have an opinion because saying anything will be politicaly incorrect and on the surface we will have peace. Inside we will be either rotting or bubbling, then one day. BANG! Anarchy, Chaos etc.
    I agree with the guy, lets face it, what are 2 gay blokes sleeping in a B&B likely to want to do and what will happen to the owners business when the general public (who don't have to be politicaly correct in their choice of B&B) hear about its reputation.
    There's something less wholesome about gay sex, if you say there isn't then your probably lying to yourself and to me.
    The hotelier has every right to do what he is doing.
    I'm sick of all this bullshit, I'm giving part of myself away when I start accepting everything.
    Gay men are lustful, they like ze cock. - Incidently this is coming from someone who ws lured into gay sex by a grown man who knew at the age I was I'd be sexualy curious. It's a stain on the history sheet if you ask me.
    And don't start anti-gay bashing me, that would be politicaly incorrect and you seem to be all in for loss of opinion.
    These are just the gates my friends, although I can't blame you for not having the foresight to see it.

The guy doesn't want gay people shagging under his roof, what's the problem? Ok, the law is relaxed when it comes to sexuality, but this bloke could be reading from a different book, getting his laws from somewhere else.

"Mummy, why is that man kissing another man" "Because they are gay dear"
    Confusion results, kid goes off not knowing what planet he's on, his soul is telling him one thing, but his eyes and parents another.
    Ok, the kids not tainted, but he's opening himself up to it for sure.
    I'd find this funny if it wasn't for all the blind people I see.

Does political correctness make you a caring loving person all of a sudden? I just don't get it. *lies* :angel:

What the fuck are you on about? :confused:
  • Options
    Originally posted by Blagsta
    What the fuck are you on about? :confused:

i believe the phrase is 'i think this guy has issues' of which he does
  • Options
    Originally posted by J
    I agree with the guy, lets face it, what are 2 gay blokes sleeping in a B&B likely to want to do and what will happen to the owners business when the general public (who don't have to be politicaly correct in their choice of B&B) hear about its reputation.

You know it's possible that not every gay man who shares a bed with another gay man will have sweaty and noisy gay sex :eek2: And even if they did, what people do in their bedrooms is nobody's business than their own.

The hotelier has every right to do what he is doing.

Not if you're a gay man... some people like it.

Gay men are lustful, they like ze cock. - Incidently this is coming from someone who ws lured into gay sex by a grown man who knew at the age I was I'd be sexualy curious. It's a stain on the history sheet if you ask me.

So all gay men are perverts? Lustful? No offense, but I have gay friends and they're not like that...

Political correctness I don't agree with, but anybody who has a problem with somebody's sexuality (i.e. what they do with their private life) I pity... basically because I've got some wonderful gay friends... I mean who's business is it what people do in their bedroom?

"Mummy, why is that man kissing another man" "Because they are gay dear"
    Confusion results, kid goes off not knowing what planet he's on, his soul is telling him one thing, but his eyes and parents another.
    Ok, the kids not tainted, but he's opening himself up to it for sure.
    I'd find this funny if it wasn't for all the blind people I see.

If my kids asked that, I'd tell them. My brother's gay... big fucking deal! Why should anybody have a problem with it... he ain't hurting anyone.
  • Options
    I actually think this landlord was in the right.

His views, in my opinion, are disgustingly bigoted and in a hotel, this should not be tolerated, but a B&B is essentially a home, and it is up to him if he does not want to allow gay people to have intimate relations in his house.

It wouldn't have been their room, it would have been his.

On the other hand, if he was so wonderful and wholesome, he probably doesn't allow unmarried, straight couples to have double beds either.
  • Options
    Originally posted by the doc horatio
    On the other hand, if he was so wonderful and wholesome, he probably doesn't allow unmarried, straight couples to have double beds either.
    Well you can turn a blind eye to it... after all it would be bad for business to descriminate against a widely-accepted majority :rolleyes:.

And J, whatever has happened to you (and I do sympathise it sounds like you've had a horrible time), you don't have the right to generalise against a whole group of people like that. You are being really offensive. I'm attracted to other girls - so what? I'm a fairly normal 18-year-old and I can have normal, healthy friendships with other girls without wanting to sleep with them. I don't spend my life thinking about "pussy", so why do you assume all gay men think about "cock" all the time? I'm not trying to have a go but I was offended by some of your comments.

Incidentally, I remember being told when I was very small that two men were holding hands in public because they were gay. My parents work in the theatre, I've been brought up surrounded by gay men whenever I've visited their workplaces. But I still found it very hard to accept my own sexuality because whatever went on in and around my family I knew that gay people aren't entirely accepted in society. I didn't want to be prejudiced against, I didn't choose to be gay. I've been lucky, people have generally accepted this part of my life, but I'm sure some of my friends have suffered real prejudice because of their sexuality and I don't understand why. Why are some straight people so scared of homosexuality? (That is a genuine question).
  • Options
    Hard one - I guess he has a right to choose who he wants in his B&B but if those choices are based upon illegal pejudices then I guess the two guys involved have every right to complain and to persue it legally.

I used to work in a bookshop...There was a particularly nasty Author who wrote holocaust denial books. As a buyer I was perfectly entitled to choose not to stock said literature. however, if a customer came in and asked me to order it I would have no right to refuse. The Author actually tried to take individual booksellers to court for refusing to order in his books! The problem was that they had refused, and said why.. Had the B&B owner just refused but not given a reason he would be in the clear...however, how could he not give a reason?
  • Options
    Originally posted by J
    I have no problem whatsoever with gay people

Well retract your 1st post on this thread then.
  • Options
    Originally posted by J
    I don't have a problem, I'm just trying to stick up for a guy who doesn't even want to consider the possibility of gay people sleeping under His roof.
    I have no problem whatsoever with gay people, it's more my annoyance at political correctness, I also hate the way I can't offend them, but I can be made to sit here in silence with a smile on my face when it comes to the offence that the thought of their actions brings me. Thinking about it is tainting my soul, it's in me, it's seeped in from all around, it's fucked me up. I guess that's why they say the world is fallen.
    There's a whole load of research in my head regarding this but I'm not going to start dishing out information that, as with everything, can be used to make people suffer further.
    I'll keep it safe, I'll keep running.

Shouldn't we respect everyone on equal grounds?

If I meet a person who's black, gay, straight, chinese, white... and they piss me off enough I'd kick off... anyone can be a twat, but not allowing somebody to stay in your hotel because of their private life in my opinion is sad...

Would you have the same attitude if the person in question wouldn't let a black person under their roof J? What about if it were a disabled person?
  • Options
    This discussion confirms what I know since my childhood: Left liberalism is a kind of religious fundamentalism.
    The essence of religious fundamentalism is: there is no difference between rights, laws and morality, between crime and sin. They think everything that is morally wrong should be banned and sinners should be treated as criminals.
    It is fundamentally wrong.
    It is not people’s business to judge sinners.
    It is God’s business.
    People’s business is to protect their lives, liberty and property. If one thinks gays ( or blacks, whites, Asians, women, men, children…teenagers especially ( teenphobia is the ugliest thing in the world but it is bloody widespread) are bad he has no right to behead them ( like in Saudi Arabia) but he has the full right not to let them into his house, shop, office. If one thinks gays are good he has full right to boycott, protest, ignore, propagate against anybody who is a homophobe ( racist, sexist, Pakistani, communist, rapper, Arsenal’s fan, behaviourist or - oh horror!- market anarchist)- but he has no right to punish them, invade their homes, grab their property, foist his rules on them or change their behaviour coercively.
  • Options
    Hello? Reality calling?
  • Options
    I've read all the arguements and admittingly everyones put up good points and its hard to see whats right and wrong.

But what I ask is what if the tables were turned? A gay b & b owner turned away a straight couple?

I don't think all this hassle would have been caused for the b & b owner myself and he would have been allowed to carry on the way he was doing. But you may disagree with that.

I guess this would show political correctness only working one way - which seems to be the case at the moment.
  • Options
    Originally posted by LabRat

The essence of religious fundamentalism is: there is no difference between rights, laws and morality, between crime and sin. They think everything that is morally wrong should be banned and sinners should be treated as criminals.
    It is fundamentally wrong.

Uh... say what? Firstly, it is wrong in your eyes to be a fundemental, but universally... Plus, what's a 'sin'?

It is not people’s business to judge sinners.
    It is God’s business.

What's a sin? Who's this 'God' person?

People’s business is to protect their lives, liberty and property. If one thinks gays ( or blacks, whites, Asians, women, men, children…teenagers especially ( teenphobia is the ugliest thing in the world but it is bloody widespread) are bad he has no right to behead them ( like in Saudi Arabia) but he has the full right not to let them into his house, shop, office. If one thinks gays are good he has full right to boycott, protest, ignore, propagate against anybody who is a homophobe ( racist, sexist, Pakistani, communist, rapper, Arsenal’s fan, behaviourist or - oh horror!- market anarchist)- but he has no right to punish them, invade their homes, grab their property, foist his rules on them or change their behaviour coercively.

So if I thought I had the right to kill somebody for being gay, then it's Ok because it's what I believe?

:eek2:
  • Options
    Quick update. The Scottish Tourism Board has now removed the B & B from its list of recommended guest houses.

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/040701/325/ex3dx.html
  • Options
    Labrat, I would consider myself a liberal, though not really left leaning as such.

I dont really think being gay is good, or bad for that matter, its a non issue.

Unless I am sleeping with someone WHY should I care what sexuality they are? How does it possibly impact me in any way?
  • Options
    Originally posted by solid_L
    But what I ask is what if the tables were turned? A gay b & b owner turned away a straight couple?

i been turned away from a gay club for being straight ie with a gf - now is that wrong - no i accept that as a possibility as if the ownserhip didnt want the clubs reputation to change by being full of straight people they might jsut do that

back to b+b owner if hes a member of tourism board then surely he HAS TO OBLIGE BY THEIR RULES whether he likes them or not to be listed as a decent hotel and attract more custom

if he just done it as a part time thing letting lodgers stay then he has every right as it was hid property and he can be as selective as he likes as they are sleeping under his roof
  • Options
    Originally posted by J
    Does political correctness make you a caring loving person all of a sudden? I just don't get it. *lies* :angel:

No it doesn't, but thats not the point. Being politcally correct lets all the interested parties get on with their lives in peace, it gives harmony. No one cares if you are caring or loving, because the answer doesnt cause conflict.

The owner of the B+B has jumped to the conclusion that a) they were going to have sex, b) it is going to upset the other guests.

Well with that kind of theory, i guess he could say all of the guests would be having sex, in which case i doubt they would care about anything else ;)

This man is obviously just homaphobic, and has tried to make excuses for it. As far as im concerened being a homaphobe is just as bad as being sexist or racist, and the owner just wouldnt be able to get away with it if he turned down a black couple.

It will take a while for homosexuals to be accepted into society properly, just like it took a long time for women to have equal rights, and its only taking a long time because of people like him.
  • Options
    surely he has a right to say what happens under his roof

and i cant name any couple if they went off to a hotel in middle of nowhere that they wouldnt have sex which is what he was offended by so offered a twin room just as a gesture to say 'we wont be having sex'

okay he shouldnt be on the scotish tourists boards lists as he isnt following rules of conduct but IF he wasn't the list before then surely he has every right to as he lives there and can decide on who can stay according to what they'll do???

to repeat my point earlier i wasnt allowed in a gay bar for being straight and is that fair, YES as its at the owners discretion and their fault for not getting my custom! so if i ran a bar/club i should have every right for not letting in a gay couple, which personally i wouldnt do cause wel its bad business but other club/bar owners could

a good way of looking at this is gay preists/bishops etc - the church has gay preists and bishops, all the church asks is that they're celebate cause well life isnt about not being tempted its about resisting temptation, those who dont want celebate gay preists etc have issues but those who dont want non-celebate gay preists are fair enough as they arent resisting temptation

the owner was happy to accept them in just as lnog he was reassured they wouldnt have sex - thats like me not accepting a couple in cause i dont like thier sexual behaviour ie harcore bondage and s+m or swinging
  • Options
    What country again did this occur in? :confused:

In the United States, they could get sued for violating people's rights....which in this case, would be a good thing.

Yep, homophobia all right! :rolleyes:

I've heard all kinds of arguments against homosexuality. Some of them based on religion, some based on biology, and it goes on and on.

There is ABSOLUTELY NO RELATIONSHIP between pedophilia and homosexuality. Anyone who tries to make such a comparison will get roundly critisized by me for MANY reasons. :rolleyes:

The bottom line is:

BETWEEN CONSENTING ADULTS. If you don't consent, it is sexual assault (a crime) and if it is between non-adults, it is a crime. Otherwise? I say worry about your own antics in the bedroom and keep your nose out of others' affairs. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Originally posted by wheresmyplacebo
    i been turned away from a gay club for being straight ie with a gf - now is that wrong - no i accept that as a possibility as if the ownserhip didnt want the clubs reputation to change by being full of straight people they might jsut do that

Me too. I used to work with a gay man and was walking past a club he drank in so decided to pop in and have a drink with him but couldn't because I'm straight. I was asked and answered so therefore not allowed in even though I explained the situation.

I didn't complain but this has got me thinking why is this allowed but not accepatable the other way round?
  • Options
    It's his property, so he can choose what goes.

Shops can refuse admission to any person, and they do not have to give a reason.

The tourist board should put his property on a blacklist, and leave it at that. Don't make a martyr out of the little turd.

Remind me again, why is Scotland so fucking wonderful?