Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

B & B owner refuses to rent double bed room to gay couple

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I don't think anyone has said otherwise... but it is also fair that the Scottish Board of Toursim exercise its right to remove such establishment from its list.
  • Options
    Originally posted by wheresmyplacebo
    what about if you discriminate against intelligence or attitude or ability in a job

ie not taking someone cause they lack initiative or have it?

If they aint qualified for the job then thats different, im talking about discriminating someone because of their race/sexuality etc, nothing to do with the ability of the person.......two totally different things Id say.
  • Options
    comes down to what the b+b owner can do under his own roof sinc ehe does live there

So I have a corner shop and i live in the upstairs, thats my home. So your saying I can say who comes into my shop ?
    I can stop 'anyone' coming into it , regardless of who it is and regardless if they are a law abiding citizen?

Sorry I think your wrong. We are not back in the 60's, sexuality of a person should not mean they get refused entry to anywhere.......even a B&B.
  • Options
    HE WERENT REFUSING THEM FOR BEING GAY - he obviusly dislikes gays but he just didnt want any sexual activity taking place , and surely someone has a right to decide what happens under their roof

he shouldnt be on tourist board list as he obviously bigoted but he done nothing wrong

like aladin said, they shulda just shown him the errror of his ways and got any gay people they know who willing, to all book twin rooms and have a giant noisy orgy :p
  • Options
    Originally posted by BeckyBoo
    Sorry I think your wrong. We are not back in the 60's, sexuality of a person should not mean they get refused entry to anywhere.......even a B&B.

They weren't refused entry. They could have stayed there. Just not in a double room.
  • Options
    Originally posted by BeckyBoo
    So your saying I can say who comes into my shop ?
    I can stop 'anyone' coming into it , regardless of who it is and regardless if they are a law abiding citizen?

Yes, you can.

Shops do it all the time with schoolchildren. Strangely people don't seem to be too upset by this.

His business, his property. People cannot dictate to him how he should run his business.
  • Options
    I haven't seen any such shop I must said. I've seen plenty of shops that ask that no more than two schoolchildren can be allowed at a time. Unfortunately that is not an unreasonable request nowadays, but that's another argument...
  • Options
    Originally posted by Man Of Kent
    They weren't refused entry. They could have stayed there. Just not in a double room.

True, I wonder what he would have said if it was 2 girls ? or a married couple what about them bonking all night or what about when someone is taking his bit on the side there for the night ?

Kermit schoolkids in my area are limited to 3/4 at one time, thats because of shoplifting. Thats a legitimate reason in my opinion because the shopkeeper cannot watch 20 kids at a time during lunch breaks.
  • Options
    yes, its a legitimate reason. were this gay couple gonna nick from the b&b?
  • Options
    Originally posted by Kermit
    :confused:

If you think what I think you mean, then that is a silly point.

the gays were in his hotel, so they should respect the owner's wishes, however bigoted.

Well this country is tolerent of gays... if the guy doesn't like them and isn't willing to abide by the social norms to the point where he offends/hurts someone... then why doesn't he go to a country where his behaviour is acceptable?

It's like if someone's gonna go 'paki bashing'... if you don't like ethnic minorities then go move somewhere else. Society changes and if we can't respect that then tough.

Yeah it's this guy's hotel... but like I say, if there is a law against discrimination for sexuality and he ain't abiding to it, it ain't good... in my opinion.
  • Options
    its prejudiced to assume that having school kids in his shop will give him morechance of bing shoplifted thouh!
  • Options
    its prejudiced to assume that having school kids in his shop will give him morechance of bing shoplifted thouh!

:lol:
  • Options
    By doing this the hotel has only gained bad publicity.. What a couple get upto in bed is no business of his.. Straight or not.

Rach
  • Options

What's that got to do with a person's private life?
  • Options
    Personally I wouldnt have fancied cleaning the bed linnen in the mornin.
  • Options
    I know a person who owns a caravan park. This person under the law cannot discriminate against any particular race of people for that would be against the race relations act. Lets call this caravan park manager Jack.

Gypsies turned up at the caravan park one day. The park had currently one pitch rented out and 21 pitches free. After a week trying to make excuses against admitting the Gypsies, Jack had to admit the Gypsies into the park against their better judgement knowing fine and well that more than likely they would make a mess of the park and not pay their fees.

After one week his fears were confirmed the park was a mess, the toilet blocks filthy, litter left all around, dogs being let loose etc Many of the caravan parks rules had been broken by the Gypsies. While Jack would gladly have moved the Gypsies on after one week the other tourists that were staying on the park had left and no other bookings were expected. Jack had to continue to keep the Gypsies in the park giving the caravan park a bad name, angering the residents and the cleaning staff who worked on the park and had to clean up the mess the Gypsies were making. After the Gypsies breaking the rules Jack had enough and told the Gypsies they had broken the rules and they had to leave. The Gypsies refused to leave the park and Jack had to go through the law to remove the Gypsies from the park.

Jack will win his legal battle against the Gypsies because they have broken the rules and not paid for their stay but his legal fee's and the court order to have the Gypsies removed are likely to cost around £5000. He is receiving no income from the caravan park and the cleaning staff who used to work on the park have quit. Jack has also angered the local residents who were not at all pleased.

A quick question... Next time other Gypsies turn up at Jack's caravan park what should he do?
  • Options
    Originally posted by Rocksteady
    I know a person who owns a caravan park. This person under the law cannot discriminate against any particular race of people for that would be against the race relations act. ... Gypsies turned up at the caravan park one day. ... Jack had to admit the Gypsies ...

WTF? Since when was "gypsy" a race?

:crazyeyes
  • Options

Because?

hey this is 2 men after all, everyone knows that men don't sleep in the wet patch, there fore there isn't going to be a wet patch :P :D
  • Options
    Personally I fully support the landlords right to have any policies he likes about who sleeps in rooms. I also think he's a bigot and am glad I don't know him.

He should, however, make this clear in his terms and conditions.

Any tourist guide should warn if any of the listed establishments have restrictive policies.

I remember similar stories about married but mixed race couples (but then I'm old)
  • Options
    "WTF? Since when was "gypsy" a race?"

You tell me! I know no more about it than anyone else except they are deemed a race in the race relations act. There is also a box to tick for travellers in job application forms and stuff. I thought a race had to have racially distinguished characteristics but I guess I am wrong!
  • Options

Why? Is it any different to a heterosexual couple? :confused:
  • Options

You tell me! I know no more about it than anyone else except they are deemed a race in the race relations act. There is also a box to tick for travellers in job application forms and stuff. I thought a race had to have racially distinguished characteristics but I guess I am wrong!

"race" is a social construct.
  • Options
    "Why? Is it any different to a heterosexual couple? "

Yes it is. It is disgusting.
  • Options

No it isnt, hetrosexual couples can still make that sort of mess.

Your arguement has no meaning.
  • Options

how could you tell, by examing the sheets, wether the occupants were same or different sex?
  • Options

Why do you find it disgusting? :confused:
  • Options
    I find it amusing how people who find gays "disgusting" are so hung-up on the sexual act.

Who is to say that this couple were goign to have sex? They might just cuddle and kiss, or they might just go to sleep.

Do straight couples have sex all night every night?
  • Options

There are different types of gypsy though. Romanies... the Irish ones that drink where I work (didakoys?)
  • Options
    Originally posted by Kermit
    I find it amusing how people who find gays "disgusting" are so hung-up on the sexual act.

Who is to say that this couple were goign to have sex? They might just cuddle and kiss, or they might just go to sleep.

Do straight couples have sex all night every night?

how many couples go up to a hotel in middle of scotland and dont have sex :naughty:
  • Options
    To add my two cents, I think that the landlord has the right to his own views, and under his own roof he should be able to choose who stays if he feels he has a good reason, which I think it was for him. But I felt the way he put his views across about the two men was childish and offensive. I think if he had said it in a more gentle tone like "I don't agree with open homosexuality, I apologise, but can I ask you find somewhere else to stay.", there wouldn't (or shouldn't) have been such a backlash.