Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Simple Skin Defense

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I've heard from a colleague that this range of skin care is good and will help reduce/prevent the number of spots I get. Slightly detered my the price I wonder if anyone else has any experience with this skin care range and what your opinions of it are. Also anyone know of any cheaper alternatives or 'old wives tales' that will work to reduce my spots and improve my complexion?

Thanks.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    This should be in health :p. What about clearasil?
    Witch Hazel gel. Ive used it for about 3years now, for me, its the best stuff ever invented.
    :) Clearasil is even more expensive than Simple Skin Defense. I'd like to emphasise that I'm on a shoe string budget.
    Originally posted by Koenigsegg
    :) Clearasil is even more expensive than Simple Skin Defense. I'd like to emphasise that I'm on a shoe string budget.

Oh right, i have some clearasil fase wash stuff but i dont usit daily so it lasts ages.
    Re: Simple Skin Defense
    I've heard from a colleague that this range of skin care is good and will help reduce/prevent the number of spots I get. Slightly detered my the price I wonder if anyone else has any experience with this skin care range and what your opinions of it are. Also anyone know of any cheaper alternatives or 'old wives tales' that will work to reduce my spots and improve my complexion?

Thanks.

Quinoderm or Oxy on the spot Benzoyl peroxide 2.5/5% creams. Clearasil are a bunch of money-grabbing time-wasters, their stuff does nothing, you need something with active ingredients which actually work to kill the p.acnes which are the main bacteria responsible for acne. Go to www.acne.org, it is a brilliant site which details a great way of helping your skin using Benzoyl peroxide. Please note it is not a commercial site, it's all totally free and you do not have to pay a penny to access any of it- i have nothing to do with the site, all i know is that it is very effective. Give it a go, it has worked for many people.
    Re: Re: Simple Skin Defense
    Originally posted by Museman
    Quinoderm or Oxy on the spot Benzoyl peroxide 2.5/5% creams.

Thats about the same price as clearasil and he wants something cheap. All I can suggest is Witch hazel coz if u go to a pharmacy they should have it cheap there. We sell it its about a quid for a bottle, I dont know if its any good tho, I heard it could dry out your skin tho. To be honest, you might as well just spend the extra couple of quid for Quinoderm. Or go to your GP and get it on prescription if you get free prescriptions.
    Re: Re: Re: Simple Skin Defense

Yeah I know, thing is most cheap cleansers (and I'm including clearasil in that) are pretty useless. I appreciate we're looking for something cheap, but it also has to be effective and actually do a job, so yeah I would say stretch to quinoderm. By and large, cleansers and washes from people like clearasil do nothing at all. They may be ok if you have 'the odd spot' but if we're talking about a considerable amount of spots and a patchy sort of complexion then you need something a bit more active.
    There's a Garnier moisturiser that was heavily advertised a month or 2 ago which is really good. Can't remember the name I'm afraid, it is kinda expensive though @ cerca £4 a bottle. Otherwise I'd agree with the witch hazel. I dunno, I've had spots for years now :( They seem to be going away randomly now though :)
    Where is that witch hazel stuff I can't find it anywhere!!

Where is that stuff sold?
    Originally posted by Tweety
    This should be in health :p. What about clearasil?

One time when I was about 14 I used Clearasil, and promptly ended up with a massively inflamed face and several trips to the hospital. Fun.

They even had to take every individual ingredient and put a sample of them on my back, to see which I was allergic to.

I'd rather have just been spotty. :(
    Originally posted by z0ma
    One time when I was about 14 I used Clearasil, and promptly ended up with a massively inflamed face and several trips to the hospital. Fun.

They even had to take every individual ingredient and put a sample of them on my back, to see which I was allergic to.

:lol: You poor lamb!

I hate all these kind of products, never use them. Baby wipes and face cream all the way but then again I've never had bad skin.
    Originally posted by Davy
    Where is that witch hazel stuff I can't find it anywhere!!

Boots, superdrug...
    Bought some Witch Hazel yesterday so I'll let you all know how it goes. I just want you all to know I don't have a face like a Dominoes cheese and tomato pizza, I just have a few spots around my chin. Saying that has got me thinking... maybe it's caused by shaving??? Going to change razor head and take greater care when shaving too :)
    Originally posted by z0ma

Thats one of the best stories I've heard in a long while!
    Bought some Witch Hazel yesterday so I'll let you all know how it goes. I just want you all to know I don't have a face like a Dominoes cheese and tomato pizza, I just have a few spots around my chin. Saying that has got me thinking... maybe it's caused by shaving??? Going to change razor head and take greater care when shaving too :)

Hope it works for u! As i said i love it :D
    It's not working too well or quick enough for my liking :( I have a date on Tuesday & they need to be gone/reduced greatly by then. I understand that the chances of this happening are between slim and not going to happen but for future protection against the evilness that is spots I think I should change my diet to either exclude something than can cause spots or include something that can rid the buggers to hell! Anyone got any suggestions on anything to avoid/start eating?

Thanks.
    drink loads of water - not sure if that's just a myth though. and don't pick them!
    It's not working too well or quick enough for my liking :( I have a date on Tuesday & they need to be gone/reduced greatly by then. I understand that the chances of this happening are between slim and not going to happen but for future protection against the evilness that is spots I think I should change my diet to either exclude something than can cause spots or include something that can rid the buggers to hell! Anyone got any suggestions on anything to avoid/start eating?

Thanks.

Unfortunately life is not perfect, and acne usually takes many weeks and often months to show significant improvement. Realistically you are not going to see any great improvement within a week or so, if anything someone's skin sometimes gets worse before it gets better, as acne medications bring out a lot of the rubbish that was waiting under the surface. You will find very helpful acne messageboards at healthboards.com and acne.org, you will find a million and one threads about diet, however for the majority of people it makes little no difference. There are some people for whom certain foods appear to aggravate their skin, but the point is, by and large if you're going to get acne you're going to get acne. That's why someone with a perfect diet can have acne whereas someone who eats junk and does not take care of themselves can have perfect skin. There are certainly no foods which improve acne in the slightest, if there was then we would all be eating them! The bottom line in 99% of cases is that to get keep your acne under control you need some kind of topical or oral acne medication. Lifestyle has little or nothing to do with it. You could live a textbook lifestyle, eat all the right stuff, exercise regularly, have good hygiene, but you can still have wretched skin. On the other hand I know people who eat pizza and drink beer all week and their skin is picture perfect. Things like drinking a lot of water and eating good food is good for your overall health, and your skin to a certain extent as the skin is our largest organ, but it won't clear your acne.

And no don't pick, some people say that the scars they have left from their acne are actually worse than their acne was when they had it! You can find yourself clear of acne, but still looking like you have some kind of a problem from all the marks left over from where you scraped at spots. All picking serves to do is aggravate your skin, spread the bacteria further, and if you squeeze inflamed spots then you just drive the bacteria further into your skin. It is so tempting sometimes when you have a spot begging to be squeezed, but think of the scars you could incur. 'Ice-pick' scars can only be improved using very expensive treatments like dermabrasion and laser resurfacing, and sometimes even these treatments do little to help. Patience is a virtue. Good luck!
    I would just like to reitterate - I DO NOT HAVE ACNE! I just have a few spots that I'd rather not have. But thanks for the advice even though is was mildly depressing and not what I wanted to hear. I want to hear that there is a miracle cure! :)
    You said about shaving...do you use fragrances? That could be part of it, your skin might be too sensitive soon after shaving for them. After shaving, Id recommend a balm if you have skin that reacts to shaving.

Don't use triple blade razors like Mach 3, these can cut the hair so that is is actually under the level of the skin and when it tries to grow back through again it can caused inflamed bumps to occur, shaving bump type things. Use disposable single blade razors or go electric would be my advice. However, around the mouth/chin is quite a common place for people to get spots, male or female, and in the case of the latter it isn't (I hope!) anything to do with shaving! I read once that there is a highger concentration of sebaceous glands around that area which would explain why a lot of people only get spots there.

As regards the info about diet and that sort of thing, I know you said you don't have really bad skin, but you did ask if diet made a difference and for advice about what to eat or not eat!
    I DO NOT HAVE ACNE

Well, yes you do, but only very mild. Hope it clears up anyway.
    Don't be so mean you sicko! It's a few spots, NOT acne! :)
    What's sick about describing a few spots around the mouth as 'very mild acne'?! Unless, it's shaving bumps, that's exactly what it is!! The definition of very mild acne is 'a few spots'!
    I'm in denial and trying to play down the significance of these spots - giving them a proper name makes them seem significant :)
    Lol well I do know what you mean, plus the word 'acne' sounds nasty for some reason. Anyway, so about these few spots (not acne) that you have.... :cool: