Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Well the handover has happened.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    The only reason the terrorist groups are there is because of us, there were no terrorist groups there before we invaded.
  • Options
    Originally posted by bongbudda
    there were no terrorist groups there before we invaded.

That's simply not true.
  • Options
    If there were any "terrorists" in Iraq they weren't very interested in carrying out attacks, seeing as there were none to be seen during Saddam's reign.

Compare that with the daily attacks since the invasion began.

But then again perhaps these people are not terrorists after all but Iraqis resisting the illegal invader and occupier who stills pulls the strings of the "sovereign" Iraqi governing council and maintains more than 100,000 soldiers in the country.

Saddam was a brutal murderer and governed Iraq with an iron fist... but let's not make the mistake of thinking that life there is so much better than it was. One day it will be... but not for a long time yet. The fact is that life for many ordinary Iraqis today is far worse than it was 18 months ago. There are fewer people with running water and electricity still today than they were before March 2003. And don't even mention violence, pillaging, street violence, unemployment...
  • Options
    No Luke. Most Iraqis DID NOT support the war.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Aladdin
    No Luke. Most Iraqis DID NOT support the war.

But they did want to see Saddam ousted, didn't they?

It was never going to be achieved without force. Of course, those who tried to use force had been killed. They didn't have enough power.
  • Options
    Originally posted by USA#1-TrQ
    So what do people think of the idea that we indeed may have reason to want to have a place to deploy from within Iraq in order to fight terroist groups?

I said something similar before the invasion.

I suggested that SA was the real home of terrorism and that the US needed a base to work from.
  • Options
    Many did want him ousted, but that is only half the picture and not suggestive that they wished a foreign power to invade and determine their fate for them.

Had Bush Sr. been genuine instead of transparently duplicitous in his promise to back the Shia uprising in 1993, they would have likely succeeded in achieving the task according to their own indigenous will. However, insofar as the majority will for a theocracy would prevent US interests from regaining its hegemonic control of the nation's resources, they were left to be quashed.

Once again, as with most everything to date which has vindicated the assessments we in the anti-invasion camp said from the start, this IIG will likely prove to be just one more presumptive and myopic effort to impose a foreign paradigm on a culture which has historically rejected such, time and time again.
  • Options
    Since the Iraqis did not want the Americans to bomb, invade and occupy Iraq, the fact that most of them wanted to get rid of Saddam does not validate the war one bit.

If you were to take that route there is no end of things you could do. I think most of us would like to see Tony Blair out of government. As Labour is probably going to win the next election again, presumably it's all okay for a foreign power to bomb and invade us, and to save us from another 4 years of Tony.

Not the best analogy I know, but I hope you get my drift.
  • Options
    Force was the only option for the realisation of a PNAC agenda of more rapid hegemony over the region, Lukesh. You obviously neither bother researching nor weighing rhetoric against political reality, but then few warmongering right wingers ever do.

Saddam was no longer of any threat and was duly contained and essentially reduced to paltry third rate military power. Had Iraqis themselves been supported in determining their own course, his ousting would have been only a matter of time and would have left Iraqis to determine for themselves what their future governance would consist of.

To suggest a foreign controlled, financed and imposed regime is any alternative to what has come before is the height of naivete.
  • Options
    proof?

This is a rich demand coming from one who never provides any to back up his claims of fact. LOL

At any rate, even when proof is provided you clearly do not read it and continue to regurgitate the same worn out claims.

You don't want proof Lukesh, you simply want to surround yourself with spin to maintain your comfortable denials of reality and common sense.
  • Options
    You think it mighty strange that Iraqis should not welcome have bombs rained down on them and foreign troops romaing their streets committing countless acts of violence and utter disrespect for a culture of and for which most of them have no appreciable knowledge nor respect?

I suggest you go live in the fallout of deprivation, disease and death under which the vast majority have lived for the past 13 years thanks to US insisted maintenance of UN sanctions (when numerous calls within the UN to lift the sanctions were quashed by Washington) and tell us how glad Iraqis were to witness yet further destruction and humilitation through occupation.

They do not have any more self detrmination now than when we supported Saddam and will likely never be allowed more than the facade of true self determination and indigenous will once the charade of the IIG is further legitimaised over time by a compliant mainstream media.
  • Options
    I think Luke that since you are the one making the very wild claims here (namely that the Iraqis did want the USA, the very country that supported Saddam Hussein during the 80s and that didn't give a flying fuck about the murders and torture then, to come and bomb the shit out of them, invade them, occupy them and install a puppet regime), you should be the one providing proof that this was the case.

I don't think I need to prove that the Iraqis didn't want the US to invade any more than I need to prove that the average person would not appreciate being kneecapped by a stranger at random.
  • Options
    That is also not true. For some time prior to the invasion Saddam gave Blix and his team unfettered access. I suggest you go review what Blix himself says on the matter.
  • Options
    Incapable of understanding the term "unfettered"??

Heavens but you are an intractable unteachable ideologue. Just keep clinging to your denials. Ignorance is bliss after all!
    Blix accused U.S. President George W. Bush and U.K. Prime Minister Tony Blair of acting not in bad faith, but with a severe lack of "critical thinking." The United States and Britain failed to examine the sources of their primary intelligence — Iraqi defectors with their own agendas for encouraging regime change — with a skeptical eye, he alleged. In the buildup to the war, Saddam Hussein and the Iraqis were cooperating with U.N. inspections, and in February 2003 had provided Blix's team with the names of hundreds of scientists to interview, individuals Saddam claimed had been involved in the destruction of banned weapons. Had the inspections been allowed to continue, Blix said, there would likely be a very different situation in Iraq today. As it was, America's pre-emptive, unilateral actions "have bred more terrorism there and elsewhere."

http://www.berkeley.edu/news/media/releases/2004/03/18_blix.shtml
  • Options
    Then i suggest you grab your "simple" english dictionary and educate yourself for a change.

Your reptition of a discredited claim only makes you look increasingly foolish.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Clandestine
    That is also not true. For some time prior to the invasion Saddam gave Blix and his team unfettered access. I suggest you go review what Blix himself says on the matter.

Not entirely true though, because he didn't say that they had "unfettered" access.

We both know that the scientists were "encouraged" to have a Saddam loyalist present to "prove" that they weren't betraying the regime.

As usual, there is no black and white here.
  • Options
    Obviously not, nor are you bothered to learn proper debate methodology nor concede that you have been misinformed when so proven.
  • Options
    Then show some progress. Day to day you continue to hearken back to the sort of one line quips and desperate clinging to debunked claims for which other posters (Monocrat, pnj, globe) have become infamous.
  • Options
    Theres no need to tear the bloke limb from limb, yes, he isnt the brightest and best debator that we've had but still, normal levels of politeness should be observed.
  • Options
    Lukesh

Oh well, don't worry about your debate skills. I've not seen too many people who impress me very much on the Internet. Mostly, people like to blow hot air and present their opinions and speculations as facts and/or appoint themselves as official net gurus who are gracing others with their wisdom and wax eloquent. I'm even guilty of this offense from time to time. :rolleyes:

There are quite a few keyboard commandos out there who think they have all of the answers. Just roll with it, and have fun.

If you get annoyed, then step back from the computer and ask yourself, "This is the friggin' internet for God's sakes. Do I really give a rat's butt what a bunch of strangers think of my opinions?" Heck you could be talking to a stark raving nut on the other end of the world, so no point in taking any of it too seriously.

Happy Internet Trails to you and welcome young man! There's not a thing wrong with trying your hand at debate, even when others may not agree. They'll get over it. :cool:
  • Options
    I said Iraqis are glad that saddam is going or has gone at last! [/B][/QUOTE]

False, you said that Iraqis supported the war.
  • Options
    Since you can't even seem to recall your own claims after youve made them, let us refresh your memory...

Page 3 of this thread...
    There are more doctors, all children now have a right to be educated, music is now allowed to be played what ever language it is in loads of other good things thatahs happened which the media never looks at.

Just think of it thsi way, I do, most Iraqis are glad to see the back of saddam and supported this war.

This is why I am pro War.
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,283 Skive's The Limit
    Originally posted by bongbudda
    Theres no need to tear the bloke limb from limb, yes, he isnt the brightest and best debator that we've had but still, normal levels of politeness should be observed.

:yes:

I rarely post in this forum, simply because my debating skills are pretty shite but I still read a lot and notice a few things.
    Some of the people here are so far up their own arses it's stupid. They may have a few big clever words up their sleeve, but they aint half boring bastards. It seems to be a cometition between a few to see who can come up with the best petty insult using the biggest words.

Edited to add that this is a board aimed at younger people - many of whom I expect have debating skills similar to Lukesh. At least he's having a go. It seems to have bee hijacked by people that think they're are teaching these debating skills when infact all they're doing is pushing people away.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Originally posted by lukesh
    music is now allowed to be played what ever language it is

:D He is back after all...
  • Options
    Pardon me for attempting to at the very least spur people on to substantiate assertions of fact. It isn't an unreasonable request and will serve them well to learn as they progress through life.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Skive

Edited to add that this is a board aimed at younger people - many of whom I expect have debating skills similar to Lukesh. At least he's having a go. It seems to have bee hijacked by people that think they're are teaching these debating skills when infact all they're doing is pushing people away.

I actually noticed that too. A lot of the older people here, push the people away which this site is aimed at.
  • Options
    But of course angelic Jacq isnt ever guilty of such, noooo :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Originally posted by Clandestine
    But of course angelic Jacq isnt ever guilty of such, noooo :rolleyes:

Am I one of the older people? ;)
    As far as I am concerned I belong to the age bracket of 15-26, and still will in 8 years time.
  • Options
    I was referring to your comment about pushing people away. That knows no age restrictions, only attitudes displayed in routine posts.

In that much you could be as guilty as the rest of us.
  • Options
    No, I am probably not too nice towards you and some of the others.
    But I do not act as rudely as you towards the newer and younger posters, which is where it matters.
    Well, at least not this specific forum.