Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

muscle cramps . . .

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
To anyone on here who suffers from these.. What do you do to try to prevent yourself from getting them.. i know they can, at least for me, be very random ion when they occur but its unbearable the pain they cause. I saw a doctor last september about it and he basicallly was clueless, told me no one kows why they happen, all he said was drink plenty of water and if need be take paracetemol before going to bed ...

Just like to know what you do to try stop them coming on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    My cramp was so bad once, that it tore my calf muscle. I've never ever been in so much pain in my entire life. And this, coming from a girl who has a tendency to break her bones and impale herself on various inanimate objects. That's got to say something!.

My doctor told me it helps if you include lots of irons in your diet [which means eating lots of meat, fish, poultry etc.]. And if you take regular exercise. It also helps if you sleep with your leg(s) raised.
    if they come in the night (which i used to wake up with oww) then drink plenty before you go to sleep (fizzy drinks r good cos of the salt content)
    water and if need be paracetemol, thats what i was told, coz they do happen during the night.
    Lexxie* : My cramp was so bad once, that it tore my calf muscle.

This worries me, im scared that one of these times this will happen or something similar. Doctors here are rubbish in that they feel parts of your leg ( tha tlast time he didnt even check the are where i said it happened :eek2: ) then tell yyou this and that and send you on your way. The last thing i want is a torn calf muscle or similar....

and the pain..... The pain is horrendous i wouldnt wish it upon anyone
  • Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    I have some problem with my big toes, and every time I move one without moving the rest of the toes on the same foot, it gets cramped really bad... Other than that (which I've learned not to do) I haven't had a cramp in years.
    My leg, whihc got the cramp the other night, is .. twitching.... or spasming, if thats even a word.. i dunno.... i hate this !
    Drinking tonic water a while before you go to bed (if this is when you have them?) is a good idea because it contains quinnine (sp?) which is proven to help cramps. They are a bit unexplainable but if they persist and keep giving you problems try going back to a different doctror - but defo try the tonic water thing for a while first.
    ;)
    Originally posted by spanner
    Drinking tonic water a while before you go to bed (if this is when you have them?) is a good idea because it contains quinnine (sp?) which is proven to help cramps. They are a bit unexplainable but if they persist and keep giving you problems try going back to a different doctror - but defo try the tonic water thing for a while first.
    ;)

Thanks i will :)