Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

does shagging other people help you get over your ex?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
The title is self-explanatory but I'm just wondering if shagging someone else while you were getting over your ex helped you at all?? Do you think it would speed up the "getting over it" process or would it slow you down?

I've had a couple chances to fool around with other guys and I'm trying to get over my ex. (its been a couple months so far) I just want other peoples opinions on if you think it would help you get over your ex faster by shagging someone you really like or just forget about it???

:confused:

Comments

• Options
    In my opinion, no. Thoughts of him will still be there that can't be delt with through sex. And also it may leave you feeling kinda cheap and dirty. But thats just my experience with it, it may work with others.
  • Options
    I'm not saying that I'm gonna go shag random guys because I'm extremely picky about who I even kiss, let alone have sex with.

Let me rephrase it, do you think it would help to mess around with a couple guy friends? (not have sex, but just "friends with benefits" type of thing)
  • Options
    oh sorry if i made it sound bad like that. :o i had assumed you ment sleep with people you already knew and stuff like that and that was what i was talking about also.
  • Options
    On the whole, no. Not just random sleeping around (not that this has happened to me). But it is nice to know that you are in some way still desirable, which is a confidence booster. Some people do it as a revenge "hey look I can still get laid" sort of thing, even if their ex isn't going to know about it - again, a confidence booster sort of thing.

Trying to have a relationship can be tricky if you're not completely over your ex, as it can cause that new relationship to fail if you're hung up on your ex (and most people are to a greater or lesser degree).

If you think it will make you feel better, then go for it. It's the only way you'll know for sure. Maybe it will help. You said you're picky, and it's with sort of friends, so if you want to give it a go, then do so.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Blnde_BombShell
    Let me rephrase it, do you think it would help to mess around with a couple guy friends? (not have sex, but just "friends with benefits" type of thing)

What are you after a roll in the hay or something much more meaningful, long lasting and special?

Do you want a guy that's just after one thing or a guy that's after everything?

One that will take your hand in his not because he's after something but because he wants to let you know how much you're loved.

One that will shed a tear, tilt your head back and blink once so his own tear falls and runs down your cheek so you know he's not afraid to share his feelings with you.

One that will fill each of your days with poetry and joy, tending to your feelings like the most precious of moutain flowers.

The point isn't to GET OVER an ex ... it's to move beyound one, espacially if they were abusive and self centred, you can't climb a mountain by getting over a hill (You just end up going back down) you soar past it and spread your wings, build your own confidence and self believe and keep your eyes open for someone that will cheerish your heart and nuture your relationship. Someone that isn't look for just 20 minutes inthe sack but a lifetime in your arms.

Somethings are worth waiting for and the person that captures your heart maybe around the corner or on the other side of the world, it's up to you to choose the path that leads you to them, be it direct or be it with a string of flings along the way. But if you choose to take too many meaningless dead ends to your destination then your true love may not be there when you end your journey.
  • Options
    Originally posted by DiamondGeezer

One that will take your hand in his not because he's after something but because he wants to let you know how much you're loved.

One that will shed a tear, tilt your head back and blink once so his own tear falls and runs down your cheek so you know he's not afraid to share his feelings with you.

One that will fill each of your days with poetry and joy, tending to your feelings like the most precious of moutain flowers.

I love it Diamond!!!! you so just described yourself ;)
  • Options
    no... but it does stop you being sexually frustrated :)
  • Options
    i had that exact option presented to me on saturday night - thankfully i turned it down and swiftly left... would have been so upset with myself if i had as i knew he was just wanting sex. In a way, it kinda reminded me i like my ex more because i know he cares about me, and would protect me from anything.. but this other guy just wanted a shag and didn't care at all.... and now all i want is my ex to hug me... he will tomorrow! :)

Don't do it!
  • Options
    Ok i'm the only person who thinks the other way here....
    In my experience as long as you are attracted to the bloke and you would want to sleep with him anyway if the incentive weren't to get over your ex then yes it helps.
    It's not a cure, but it seems to get me thinking about other people and that's a big step.
    Of course, everyones different and I wouldn't want you to take my advice then do something you regret so think very carefully before you do anything.
  • Options
    I thought id replied to this, obv not.

Anyway, Imo, i dont think it doesnt help. It helps in a spur-of-the-moment thing, but afterwards you are just left feeling even worse and more unwanted.
  • Options
    No.

It just increases your chances of getting STDs.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Kermit
    No.

It just increases your chances of getting STDs.
    What and if you sleep with someone when you're not trying to get over an ex it's std free?
  • Options
    Have you ever seen When Harry Met Sally? Didn't work for Harry!!