Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

Extreame issue on tv

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
Do you think showing things like selfharm, rape and other forms of abuse is ok to show on tv,

personly I don't really know what to thing I see there could be some good points but some bad points.

what do you think?
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    i think that in ways its good to try and break the taboos but also could be seen as promoting it.

should be about awareness
  • Options
    Originally posted by paperBprincess
    i think that in ways its good to try and break the taboos but also could be seen as promoting it.

should be about awareness

I was watching As if on chanel 4 which had selfharm on it.. I didn't know what was going on as I just turned it on but once it came on I had to change the chanel, I don't know why but I found it triggering,

anyway I suppose it's good if it creates awerness but it can also be so trigger.
  • Options
    so really, you are enforcing points made against you in previous posts?

:thumb:
  • Options
    yeah I suppose but I've never really felt like it from that view.. god I felt shit..
  • Options
    as they say:
    what goes around comes around
  • Options
    as they say:

Well I suppose it's a good thing. I've learnt from the experience..

Anyway back to topic :)
  • Options
    JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    as they say:

Needless to say, some people deserve an apology too.
  • Options
    Originally posted by JsT
    Needless to say, some people deserve an apology too.

Aye.. I'd gladly appologise to anyone I offended if your kindly remove your thread?
  • Options
    JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    Originally posted by Hellfire
    Aye.. I'd gladly appologise to anyone I offended if your kindly remove your thread?

Trying bribery now?

Needless to say the thread isn't going anywhere. The mods deserve to see the significant number of inappropriate posts you make on this site.
  • Options
    Originally posted by JsT
    Trying bribery now?

Needless to say the thread isn't going anywhere. The mods deserve to see the significant number of inappropriate posts you make on this site.

Fair enough, I'll applogise anyway...

Anyway Jst do you have anything to say about the actual Topic?
  • Options
    dont mean to tread on toes here, but 80-90% of your posts have something to do with self harming. do you not have anything else to talk about?
  • Options
    Originally posted by superfly
    dont mean to tread on toes here, but 80-90% of your posts have something to do with self harming. do you not have anything else to talk about?
    not really, its all he does... moan about his "issues" and attention seek. While trudging around the internet looking for a girlfriend.
  • Options
    Why don't you ask this in Politics, where they like to "debate".

Or not at all. :|
  • Options
    Oh, I saw as if yesterday...

I've never really thought about it, but I guess it's okay if it's dealt with in the right way... but if you found it triggered you, then maybe it's not.
  • Options
    I think it should be shown on television as a form of awareness. I think that unless these issues are openly discussed then they will always be a taboo.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Ertrael
    not really, its all he does... moan about his "issues" and attention seek. While trudging around the internet looking for a girlfriend.
    :lol::lol: so true

and to answer the question.. i don't see why it shouldn't be shown on tv -as long as its not shown in a way that glamourises it.
  • Options
    well cant say I saw that program I would ask what happened in it but from people's reaction's if someone could PM me then i can post again and make a helpful contribution to this thread ;)
  • Options
    Well all it did was show a girls cuts from her self harming and her scratching them...

I don't know if in a past episode it showed her doing it. maybe someone who watches it lots might now..

Well Anyway I found it kinda triggering but I don't know in some cases it'd be ok to show it but some it isn't.. I have a mixed opinion on this..
  • Options
    "as if" is a quality programme, C4 should release it on dvd.

anyway the character youre referring to has had a history of mental problems (she's tried suicide more than once). yeah it may be controversial but its very thought provoking stuff, and id recommend it. they should really re-run it from the start.
  • Options
    Originally posted by superfly
    "as if" is a quality programme, C4 should release it on dvd.

anyway the character youre referring to has had a history of mental problems (she's tried suicide more than once). yeah it may be controversial but its very thought provoking stuff, and id recommend it. they should really re-run it from the start.

yeah.. I know as if is a good program.. I watched the first series but never really got into the second/other ones..

and I do remember in the other series that she had problems.. I'm not denying that
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    As If is a good programme which covers the topic of self harm in a very good way. it does not glamourize it and it is very tactful as alot of the audience it is aimed at will probably have experienced alot of the problems the character (cant remember her name) has/is experiencing. that is one of the things that makes it such a good problem.