Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Are caffiene pills the answer?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
*gone*

Comments

• Options
    Ahhhh good ol' pro plus has helped me stay awake at school many a hungover day ;) Personally I find sometimes they are very useful, but it's easy to get into the habit of taking them daily which is not only bad for you but they become less effective. And if you take too many it makes you shake. A lot.They can be a short term solution but maybe you should talk to your doctor about long term solutions? Also if you're having difficulty sleeping boots do a great range of herbal sleep remedies, may be worth checking out :)
  • Options
    I was addicted to caffine pills for a bit as I couldn't sleep, they do keep you the answer but you will have to start taking more n more as the effects get weaker, I wouldn't advice it as it gives you energy but your still get tired easily..

you need to speak to the doctor, they're ok in small moderations but not long term.

Hope you get it sorted
  • Options
    Try White Coffee then :thumb: :yes:
  • Options
    apparently stuff like pro-plus contains less caffeine than a strong cup of coffee, so if the expresso doesn't do it for you, they won't either.

a better idea would be to tackle the cause. i'd nip to the doctor and explain your predicament. sometimes a short course of sleeping pills is enough to break the insomniac cycle and sort you out.

caffeine pills never made me hyper. they made me sick and weak and gave me judy finnegan style shakes, which isn't at all fun. and i didn't sleep properly for days.
  • Options
    Caffine pills, such as Pro Plus, don't have a great effect (on me at least). They don't wake me up as such, but do help me carry on a bit longer when I have to. I don't find they really help with concentration or alertness, all they do is allow me to stay awake a little longer if I want to. I only take them when having a bad day at work (tired and feeling like I'm about to fall asleep at my desk).
  • Options
    one of my friend's was taken into hospital after taking lots of prop plus and coffee, his heart started pumping too fast and he went into this mad shock fit type thing. hard to explain.

before that happend i was pretty hooked on the old pro plus. however all they really did in retrospect was make me awake so it was harder to get to sleep at night so i got more tired and had to take more and it was a whole down-wards spiral.

i wouldnt take them if i were you, as kaff said, if you're really worried about not sleeping etc go to the doctors
  • Options
    Originally posted by paperBprincess
    before that happend i was pretty hooked on the old pro plus. however all they really did in retrospect was make me awake so it was harder to get to sleep at night so i got more tired and had to take more and it was a whole down-wards spiral.

See now reading that it seems quite obvious,

people think it'll give them more engergy but in the long run it'll just drain it all..

Going for long periods without natural sleep and using pro plus or any other caffine pill can be quite dangerous

If your set on using them.. use them in moderation, even if it says on the box you can take more only take a few, personally I'm keeping away from them now only when I need to use them Bad cases of need energy quick,

Like Kaff n PaperB said.. Go to doctors.. otherwise the problem won't go away..
  • Options
    KimonoKimono Posts: 201 Trailblazer
    Before you start popping the caffeine pills: tiredness may be a symptom of a medical condition such as anxiety or stress ,anaemia depression or something else that your GP will be able to diagnose and treat. It could even be that you don't drink enough water and so being dehydrated makes you sleepy.

K x
  • Options
    Caffine is a fairly rubbish stimulant because the effects wear off far before you can sleep.

Pro-plus only contain 50mg each, a large latte from StarBucks contains about 10 times that much.

If you're looking for something to take I would recomend guaranna, its a caffine like stimulant which is fair gentler on the body, lasts longer and has a slight euphoric feel too.

It can be bought from health food stores, make sure you get the pure root NOT the extract.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Girl_gunner
    They can be a short term solution but maybe you should talk to your doctor about long term solutions? Also if you're having difficulty sleeping boots do a great range of herbal sleep remedies, may be worth checking out :)

:yes: Boots do a very good one, i took them for about a month and they really helped.

Like Kimono said a lot of the time it can be stress and depression which cause this. We don't realise sometimes how badly things affect us healthwise. When i'm stressed i don't mentally feel the strain as i deal with problems then they go but it really does take it out on my body and makes me shattered. Basically you need to take some time out, keep busy and make some you time.

Friendly advice though, cut the coffee out and settle for proper breakfast and juice/water.