Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

Driving

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Was just wondering. Has anyone had their first lesson an needed help with steering or if it is just me! Well im sure there is someone else just wondering if its common/uncommon.

Comments

• Options
    Part of the learning process :)

Its common for those people that have never been in a car before, and nerves can play a big part.
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    I needed so much help with my steering :(
  • Options
    Originally posted by littlemissy
    I needed so much help with my steering :(
    learners tend to overstear. in no time at all you will be wondering what the fuss was about ...trust me.
  • Options
    Re: Driving
    Originally posted by angel1886
    Was just wondering. Has anyone had their first lesson an needed help with steering or if it is just me! Well im sure there is someone else just wondering if its common/uncommon.

does your car have power steering?

And for your information you will steer at whatever you look at subconsiously so if you look at the big wall you DON'T wanna hit you'll steer towards it.
  • Options
    Re: Re: Driving
    Originally posted by DiamondGeezer
    does your car have power steering?

And for your information you will steer at whatever you look at subconsiously so if you look at the big wall you DON'T wanna hit you'll steer towards it.
    power steering is a must!
    a few weeks ago i was driving around in a little peugeououoet

can't spell it ...no power sterring! it was friggin murder to park ...
  • Options
    pull push, pull push but once you pass its anything goes.......bit like here really :D
  • Options
    Originally posted by BeckyBoo
    pull push, pull push :D
    sex forum dear ...
  • Options
    I had trouble with the steering to begin with as you try to steer by holding the wheel all the time so you end up crossing your arms when taken sharp corners & your steering is also very inaccurate & you end up under/over steering .

The proper way is the push/pull method where you feed the wheel through your hands. As into turn right your pull down with with your right & push up with your left & then to turn left you pull down with your left hand & push up with your right. It's a tricky thing to explain how to do.

My instructor had me chugging around in a car park doing figure of eight to get me to do the correct method not the cross arms over one.

Hope this helps:)

.:Crispy:.
  • Options
    I didn't need any help, I found it much easier than I thought. Don't worry though everyone's different!
  • Options
    I think this is why I'm learning off road for a couple months before I turn 17 so i'll be a little more confident..

but when i first drove I concentrated on the steering more than anything and fucked the pedals up..
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,287 Skive's The Limit
    If I took my test now I'd probably fail on steering. I don't think they allow the one handed steering - the 'wax on wax off' motion. :D
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    There are advantages to no power steering like being able to feel the road more, and tell when your wheels are out of alignment.

My car has electric power steering which is kinda weird and gives you zero feedback of the road.
  • Options
    I don't have power steering, oh how my poor arms struggle sometimes. :(
  • Options
    Originally posted by morrocan roll
    in no time at all you will be wondering what the fuss was about ...trust me.

:yes: i said that to my mum the other day, that i cant believe how hard it was to start with!
  • Options
    I can remember learning to drive, and always over correcting the steering. It seemed as if the car had a mind of its own. Now it's instinctive to correct the steering while moving.
  • Options
    We have a car stuck outside everday and I cant drive, its beginning to pee me off :(

He has a company car now so ours is just stuck outside the door. I should learn to drive and then I will be able to go all over.........nah keep danger off the roads :p
  • Options
    It took me a little while to figure out that leaning into corners doesn't do very much.

Most things with driving are completely impossible and no-one can explain to you how to do them, but one day they just click and you'll do them so well you'll wonder why you couldn't do it before. It just takes practice.

Just wait until you try steering in reverse :p