Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

Fitness First

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
Does anyone go to a Fitness First Gym?

IF so how do you rate them?

I saw a big poster saying join before June 30th for £25 per month.
I hear you get a lot of extras like DVD movie library, etc
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options

anything to stop you from actually going to the gym while they pick up their rather hefty monthly fee...
  • Options
    Re: Fitness First
    Originally posted by DiamondGeezer
    Does anyone go to a Fitness First Gym?

IF so how do you rate them?

I saw a big poster saying join before June 30th for £25 per month.

I used to go to Fitness First but JJB came and opened a gym in town, with a pool (which FF doesn't have) and with loads more free weights so everyone jumped ship, including half of the staff! Nothing wrong with FF, they genarally have TV walls with Sky and stuff to watch while you work-out, but the free weights section at the one I went to was crap, if there is a JJB around you then check it out. The free DVD rental thing is a bit crap really cos most of them are really old!
  • Options
    i work freelance for fitness first but i have to say the last gym i worked for (pulse fitness) was better.
    fitness first's lack of swimming pool is a bad point, and they have a limited free weights area, but generally i enjoy it to train in. i only work occasionally, just covering classes sometimes but it gets me a free membership so i dont mind.
    its good enough like...i guess i couldnt say whether its value for money tho as i dont have to pay...
  • Options
    Okay. They don't have swimming pools in most (all?) of the fitness first gyms, but that doesn't bother me because I don't really go swimming. It's a lot cheaper to use fitness first than say david lloyd or whatever, which is probably reflected in a few things like range of equipment or lack of overall shine.

However, the gyms vary immensly, some of them are really quite good whereas others are just average. You really need to go round your local one to see if it's any good.

I was a member for quite a while until I could not afford it any more.

I need to start doing something again :(

PS shop around them because often they do no joining fee etc.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Mist
    PS shop around them because often they do no joining fee etc.

I joined up today.

paid £20 to join rather then their normal £100

it's a 3 month contract so it's not that big a risk.

I like the little extras like the free drinks, free DVD rentals and free car parking, which my last gym didn't have a single parking space. And there's two different gyms near where I live so I can go to either one.

They also include some Martial Arts classes too, my last gym only had very girlie classes I think that's what swung it for me, because I was trying to decide between joining a gym or doing martial arts again, so this way get to do both.
  • Options
    You could do worse than fitness first...... one thing that never fails to crack me up with most gyms (FF and JJB two biggest culprits), they make out that they have a joining fee of £100 or something like that, but no one ever pays that much. They always 'have an offer on' when someone enquires about membership. The way fitness first usually work, is that if you ask about membership they'll tell you they can give you a radically discounted joining fee if you join within the next 4 days or so, which entices most people. Obviously it's an old trick and people know it goes on, just funny that they make out they are doing you a great favour by giving you a 'discount' when if they were being honest, no one ever pays more than about 20 quid!
  • Options
    I joined fitness first like 2 months ago, joining fee was £30 and then £45 every months, its quite alot compared to you guys, i think i got bumped lol

I love the free steam rooms thou they are great :D
  • Options
    45 quid a month? Do you get gold plated towels as well? The most expensive membership I have seen at the other FF gyms I have been to (4 or 5) was around 35 quid. JJB gyms (and plenty of others) having steam room, jacuzzi, pool and all that as well. How long a contract did you have to sign up to?
  • Options
    Only 3 months but its a gold card one not a silver.

gold card means peak hours so its more expensive coz i'll be using it after work hours (peak hours) it so annoying! i might finish it after the three months and try somewhere else.

My boyfriend is with Cannons and i think he pays £45 aswell.
    Cannons might not be as well known as the others but the one he goes to is in sutton so thats maybe why we've never heard of it lol
  • Options
    Hmm all the people I know are on the super-duper peak one as well :confused:

I've heard of Cannons, I went on work experience at a golf club owned by them.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Museman
    45 quid a month? Do you get gold plated towels as well? The most expensive membership I have seen at the other FF gyms I have been to (4 or 5) was around 35 quid. JJB gyms (and plenty of others) having steam room, jacuzzi, pool and all that as well. How long a contract did you have to sign up to?

Gold's Gym was either £40 or £45 per month just for off peak membership and no freebies, like free drinks, newspapers or DVD's - infact sod all when you joined as well. Fitness First at least gave a rug sag, towels, drinking bottle, etc.