Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

Digital Downloads (Legally) - Way of The Future

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
Thought I'd do a post about this seeing as I've been getting more and more involved with these sites and have become a consumer myself in the last few months. Basically legitimate sites which offer digital 12" versions of tracks in MP3 downloads (usually at 192kps and sometimes up to 320kps) for DJs and consumers alike to buy online and download for use.

I was wondering what everyone's thoughts are about these, if your using them yet and what are your experiences? CDs are becoming a more regular part of my sets especially with the ability to download such material and that of what producers send to me - helping make my sets more unique and upfront.

In NZ, the main site of operation is Tmet Recordings (http://www.tmet.net) which is at the forfront of this technology for local producers and features international artists. Tracks go for $3 and after purchasing the mp3 you are able to download the full 12" version for use. Tmet's model is excellent for producers, each track retails for $3, $1 of which goes directly to the cost of the transaction and the remaining $2 is split 50/50 between the artist and the label. We've been busy signing artists up recently from around the world for the label, one of whom is gaining huge interest from the UK labels.. so watch this space!

Internationally, I've been following forthcoming 'Trackitdown.net' which is run by Ed Real (Ex-Nukleuz) and BK, that is due for launch soon that has an mp3 back-catalog of a large amount of commercial labels in the UK (such as Nukleuz/Hydraulix etc.) as well as an inhouse label. The other site that deserves a mention would be my current favourite for buying trance off.. http://www.audiojelly.com thats due for commercial launch very soon, 12" tracks retail for about 1 pound sterling and features a variety of huge UK labels and artists such as GTR, Ian Van Dahl, Space Brothers and more.

I think this technology is going to hugely take-off over the next 6 months, most of the labels I know in the UK have been submitting their entire back catalogs onto various sites which gives everyone a unique way of purchasing tracks which were previously deleted or not available. And another beauty of this is that you never have to worry about a track being out of stock. The possibilities for DJs with this bright future is unlimited!

What does everyone else think? Does anyone else have any experience with these sites yet? What are your views, I'd love to know!
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    I think the future would be better if you paid a fixed fee and downloaded what you want or say 100 songs a month of your choice, rather then pay per track.

I think one good thing however is that most albums have 2 or 3 good tracks and the rest are crap just to make up 74 minutes of songs. So I think the ability to buy just the tracks you want will lead to better quality music.
  • Options
    JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    I used Napster for a song I couldn't find anything else a while back, cost 99p. Was good quality. Wouldn't use it unless I had to tbh.
  • Options
    personally i think as long as theres a charge involved theres always gonna be "illegal" downloading...people wont pay for what they can get for free will they? so unless those in charge find a way to completely obliterate things like warez, kazaa etc then any pay-to-download service will always be undermined by "illegal" downloads.
  • Options
    Originally posted by DiamondGeezer
    I think the future would be better if you paid a fixed fee and downloaded what you want or say 100 songs a month of your choice, rather then pay per track.

I think one good thing however is that most albums have 2 or 3 good tracks and the rest are crap just to make up 74 minutes of songs. So I think the ability to buy just the tracks you want will lead to better quality music.

dunno what albums you've been listening to mate. Try radiohead, or slipknot, or whatever you're into, but most bands make albums that come together as one awsome whole, rather than "2 or 3 decent songs and loads of shit ones". Stop listening to the singles and get listening to that less commercial shit :)
  • Options
    Most of these sites offer a fixed amount for downloading an album, so for example.. if you have an albums worth of tracks at 1 pound each, you could select the 'download all' section and have all tracks for say 5 pounds as apposed to 12 pounds or whatever.

Remember, the difference between these sites and the "illegal" ones, is that your paying for a direct 320k/192k copy thats a studio source as apposed to one thats been ripped from a CD or a Vinyl with all the 'pops', Scratches and wave clipping from a bad encode. Also with so many people being on broadband these days, you can purchase tracks and create your own high quality albums in the comfort of your own home.

Its also an amazing future when it comes to producers getting their initial breaks, it can all be done online - no more going through record labels, the quality of music is likely to shoot through the roof as we diversify with new talent previously we may not have seen!
  • Options
    I've used the iTunes Music Store. 79p a track. It was alright. I only used it for tracks that anywhere else didn't have, though.
  • Options
    Can help feel that new music is always going to be crippled by illegal downloading. I definately agree that legal downloading creates a cheap way for the music (and in the future film) industry to make a regular income from their back catalogues.

If you think of the millions of tunes and movies that sit in back catalogues and are never released due to the cost of production / marketing / distribution then why not allow them to be downloaded for next to nothing.

Personally, coming from the movie side of things, the DVD market is appaling, with almost nothing released whereas studios are sitting on hundreds of thousands of movies that are never going to get a release. Why not let me pay to download them?
  • Options
    I have thought about this but I have obly seen Pop type stuff about and I don't really like that sorta stuff.
  • Options
    yeh its all good but id rather have it in physical form but you cant transfer the songs between computers etc

ill be happy if proper cd albums were about £8/9 at most.....

i dont know theres just something empty about downloading a song.... so i download a few songs from an album **cough cough** to see if it any good, and if it is, ill buy the album, so those songs aint ilegal anymore since i actually own the license to play the album for myself

i see illegal downloads as a 'try before you buy' service, otherwise how will i know what im buying if they only play pop crap on tv/radio

and if it aint worth buying, i wouldnt have brought album or song in 1st place so i havent harmed anyone
  • Options
    One of the issues raised a lot of the time by the music bizzo's and consumers alike is that of DRM (Copyright Protecting) of CDs/DVDs/MP3s... there was a groundbreaking talk recently by Cory Doctorow to the Microsoft Reseach Group telling them to forget about it and stop wasting money trying to find a solution:

http://www.dashes.com/anil/stuff/doctorow-drm-ms.html

A long but extremely interesting read!
  • Options
    Try out soulseek - a cracker wee download program that you can get all the latest FREE music whatever genre your into! I think MP3 downloads will kill the music industry but until I start earning more £ for DJing I think i'll be stickin to the freebees!

I'll b checkin our yer wee sites ther cos iv final scratch jobby for the decks which is quite handy! :p
  • Options
    Originally posted by Rocksteady
    Try out soulseek - a cracker wee download program that you can get all the latest FREE music whatever genre your into!
    Theres a difference between the words "Free" and "Illegal Copies", we know most people do it but do take note the title of the topic, this was about legitimate ways of downloading music, not illegal ones! :rolleyes:
  • Options
    well i've found a lot of new artists use soulseek and other p2p programs to distribute thier music to get themselves heard and it is perfectly legal although obviously share music of questionable legality over these services too.

I think these "Pay To Download Track" sites have potential but are far from perfect at the moment and still need work a few areas
  • Options
    I'm not paying for music industry fat cats and rap stars to live like kings!

I would pay, if it was a smaller-time star.
  • Options
    Want to know how it really is in the music biz?

recorddeal.jpg

... least with digital download sites, the artists actually retain more of the money instead of the big-wigs who genuinely seem to rip them off with the profits! ;)