Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

the 2nd world war

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
from all history programme si watch that actually go over what happened, we really should have lost the war and be under nazi control, but its just due to their bad commander in chief and politicial militray leaders

like if they took dunkirk port back, we would of escaped and churchill was on verge of being ousted by his cabinet

or if they hadnt stopped bombing airfields to bomb london, we wouldnt have any airforce as when hitler/goering decided to switch to bombing london we had only 100 craft left

and if they hadnt of gone after russia so quickly they could of got whole of western europe including us

it just makes me wonder sometime how lucky we are to be here as they did have the better trained, better equiped military

that wuld be until the americans nuked them as well as usa had been developingthem since 1939 and the nazi nuke programme was near nowhere by 1945 as its project leader (heisenberg - famous nuclear phyicist) was against using the science for such hideious means, and was just trying to get them to use it for energy production etc

Comments

• Options
    Ah the great what if history game. What if the French had paid more attention to tank warfare or had completed the Magino line? Perhaps the way would have stopped in days or never started. What if the French had attacked the troops that marched into the Ruhr (I seem to remember most German soliders were armed with sticks carved to look like rifles)? What if one of the allies had been as proactive in their support for the anti-facists as Hitler was of Franco?
  • Options
    One of Hitler's flaws was that he had a deep respect for the UK. He personally liked Britain and wanted us as Allies and not enemies.
    Rumour said that he would have given us full say in his new empire and allowed us to keep our own empire if we had joined with him.
    Just before the retreat at Dunkirk Hitler had massed a huge number of tank and infantry divisions, only a few miles from the beach. The commanders begged to be allowed to attack and capture our troops but Hitler personally told them not to.

This was one of his biggest mistakes of the war, meaning that any ground attack of the Uk would probably fail (can you imagine him invading a small island like the UK with 400,000 troops amassed at the south?

Many things happened during WW2 that if happened differently would have greatly influenced what we do today. I suggest you read some of the books by Harry Turtledove, in particular he has written a book of what life in Europe would be like if Germany won the war, it's called "In the presense of mine enemies".
    He has written loads of similar "what if" books and I believe they are excellent, particularly the World War series.
  • Options
    Thanks for the recommendation. I was thinking about buying one of such books only yesterday, when a saw in a bookshop a new book titled "What Might Have Been" in which different authors and historians give their opinions on how things would be had the Germans won in Stalingrad, had Thatcher been killed in the Brighton hotel bombing, and other such events. I might well give the book you recommend a read.

About WWII, I don't know what others think but unless the US decided to drop nukes in Germany, had the D-Day operation failed I reckon the Nazis would have ended up retaining all of Continental Europe and entered a Cold War period with the US and Britain that would have gone on for decades.
  • Options
    he Nazis would have ended up retaining all of Continental Europe and entered a Cold War period with the US and Britain that would have gone on for decades.

Incorrect, the Nazi empire could not withstand a Cold War.

It would have crumbled internally after a few years.

Hitlers popularity was built on lots of show victories such as the reoccupation of the war. The end of all out war would mean people would have noticed things and demanded stuff.

The whole Nazi leadership was corrupt and fragile, it had hardly any organisational structure.
  • Options
    Originally posted by The Matadore
    Incorrect, the Nazi empire could not withstand a Cold War.

It would have crumbled internally after a few years.

Hitlers popularity was built on lots of show victories such as the reoccupation of the war. The end of all out war would mean people would have noticed things and demanded stuff.

The whole Nazi leadership was corrupt and fragile, it had hardly any organisational structure.

Hitler's popularity was built on indoctrination and complete control of German society.

The Nazi's also improved the lives of Germans significantly, unemployment was non-existant and so was poverty. So he was very popular.

The Nazi leaders were also ruthlessly organised and efficient, the whole nazi ethos was based on organisational structure, discipline and duty.
  • Options
    Originally posted by groovechampion
    The Nazi's also improved the lives of Germans significantly, unemployment was non-existant and so was poverty. So he was very popular.

Unemployment figures were glowing because young men were drafted into road building schemes etc - hardly 'real' work for real wages. Furthermore it was a different story for non Aryan Germans.
  • Options
    Originally posted by BumbleBee
    Unemployment figures were glowing because young men were drafted into road building schemes etc - hardly 'real' work for real wages. Furthermore it was a different story for non Aryan Germans.

Ah AS Level history, 'Life in Nazi Germany'

"This unit is rock solid, you will all get at least B's"

....whole year gets D's, E's and U's....

There are so many different events in History you can think 'what if?' though. I can think of many in my 'Decline of the Liberal Party' course. 'What if Asquith had actually agreed to be in Lloyd-Georges cabinet' etc etc
  • Options
    Originally posted by Renzokuken
    There are so many different events in History you can think 'what if?' though. I can think of many in my 'Decline of the Liberal Party' course. 'What if Asquith had actually agreed to be in Lloyd-Georges cabinet' etc etc

What if lawyers never evolved :eek2:
  • Options
    Originally posted by Renzokuken
    Ah AS Level history, 'Life in Nazi Germany'

"This unit is rock solid, you will all get at least B's"

....whole year gets D's, E's and U's....

What??
  • Options
    Originally posted by BumbleBee
    What??

Sorry i will make more sense.

For AS Level Unit 3 we did Life In Nazi Germany, and we did all about the road bulding and 'unemployment reducing' schemes. Apparantly it was a solid module that the history teachers were confident (and also we were confident) we would ged good marks in. But when it came to results day most of the year got D's. E's and U's which was really odd considering it was a grammar school too. But this module brought down my history grade overall to a D which wasnt nice :( But we did a retake in the form of Lord Palmerston's foreign policy where I now have a B at AS level and hope I can get a B at A2.

My second part was on about how in my A2 History 'Decline Of The Liberal Party' Course the exam is Friday argh! where because of events during the first world war there was a massive split in the Liberal party due to a massive personal split between Asquith and Lloyd-George (L-G overthrew Asquith basically and became Prime Minister) After the war was over though it just seems there were so many opportunities for the Liberal Party to become a main player in British Politics again throughout the 1920's but they didnt seem to bother. Its a reference to the 'what if' thing.

Hope that clears up my strange babbling :)
  • Options
    I hate these "what if" debates because they only open us up to conjecture and interpretation.

There are so many factors which interact in order for the final outcome to be seen and each of them has a bearing on the end product.

Some we see becuase they have recieved huge focus - such as D-Day, Stalingrad, Dunkirk etc - other we miss. What if the BEF hadn't been able to defend Calais for so long, what if "Garbo" hadn't turned for example.

One that has actually interested me is, what if people had listened to Churchill in the 30s... or what if we had handled the Weimar Regime better... issues that could actually have helped prevent the rise of the facists in the first place.
  • Options
    What if Hitler had got into art school?
  • Options
    What if the democratic governments of Europe had sent help to the Spanish government during the Civil War instead of allowing the fascists to win with Hitler's help and take Spain into 40 years of horror?

What if Bush had choked on that pretzel?

(This could go on for a while...) :D
  • Options
    What if Wall St hadn't crashed in 1929?

What if we'd all studied for our exams at 16 like our parents told us to instead of watching Top Of The Pops?

What if W.Germany had won in 1966?
  • Options
    Originally posted by BlackArab
    What if W.Germany had won in 1966?

we wuldnt constantly go on bout it!!!!! annoys me that