Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Trainee Accountant

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Mods, I don't mind if you move this to work and volunteering, I just initially want as many people to see this as possible.

I'm applying to be a trainee accountant. This might sound like a silly question but how good at maths do you have to be? Is it difficult? And is it difficult studying for the AAT certificate. I got 9 GCSEs including a merit in GNVQ Business at intermediate level, but only a C in Maths.

Plleeeaaase reply as quick as you can, don't have much access to internet and am going soon :(

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    well i would imagine you'd have to be good at arithmetic, but i wouldn't have though being able to work out the volume of a dodecahedron or solve quadratics or anything would put you at an advantage.
    Accounting is one job that will take you anywhere, as evry business need accoutants to cook the books

My Aunt is one and her worse subject at school was maths
    I don't really know alot about this, but I reckon a C grade would be okay as i've heard that you don't actually need to be brilliant at maths as long as you know what to do with the numbers and have a grasp of the basics, so you should be okay!
    I should think it is more important to be accurate. The maths itself would be done by computers most of the time these days, you'd just have to be able to check that sums are correct and maybe remember a few forumlas and such.
    Hope you get it.
    I have a job in the accountancy kinda field, and I only have a C in GCSE maths. I found this to be enough to get by on, as long as you are OK at percentages, using formulas, division, multiplication and the other basic things (I still have not found a use for trigonometry). Most things are calculated using software, but as long as you can understand the theory behind it and reconcile things to show your understanding you will be ok!
  • littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    i did higher accounting in school and as kaffrin says your mathematic skills so to speak do not need to be spot on but your arithmetic needs to be extremely accurate and up to scratch. i enjoyed it but i think it would be very hard going.

stupid question ... how do you get your AAT certificate? is it through college or through a company? just wondering.
    I think it's a 2 year course... Work based with studying etc on top of it etc.

I could be wrong though - it's years since I chatted about it (I'm not an accountant).
    Originally posted by g_angel007
    I think it's a 2 year course... Work based with studying etc on top of it etc.

I could be wrong though - it's years since I chatted about it (I'm not an accountant).

Oh gawd I hope it's not two years, I've just failed a 2 year course :(
    fao andy, but also anyone interested in west yorkshire:

i was reading the paper today (i have an easy job) and leeds met are having an open day - 7th july, i think - for postgraduate, undergraduate and vocational accounting (and related) courses, so if you're still thinking of this, it might be worth popping down to have a chat.

linky