Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

Moving House

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Not really sure what the point in me posting this is, but it'll get it off my chest so anyway...
...My Mum said a few months ago that we might have to consider moving house, but after having a few Estate Agents out to value it, my parents decided we'd stay put for at least another few years. So naturally, I was relieved. However, when I got back from work saturday, my Mum said that we have no choice but to move. Now, we live in a rather big, detatched house with a huge garden. My parents can no longer afford to pay the expenses on the house due to the size of it, and also my Mum's tremor makes it difficult for her to manage a house and garden of this size. There used to be 6 of us living in our house, but now that there's only 4, it seems sensible really to down-size. The thing is, I obviously don't want to move. I've lived here all my life, and it's going to be so strange living in what will seem like someone elses house. I suppose I've never really thought about the possibilty of ever having to move, so I just took my house and the size of it for granted. I don't know why I'm making such a big thing about it really, 'cos it's not like we're moving area or anything, so thats good. It's just, it's my house. My home. And I don't wanna leave it. Perhaps that sounds a bit selfish of me.

After a few months, I know I'll get used to my new home, it'll just take a while to settle in. But hopefully it'll all work out for the best.

So anyway, to anyone who has ever moved house: How did you find the change? Did you get used to it? Did you have any bad experiences?

Answers/Advice/Nonsense please... :)

Comments

• Options
    Sure I could fit you in somewhere...

Dunno about your family though :(
  • Options
    You'd be expected to be wary having lived there all your life. Up until the age of about 11, I'd moved around 12 times and also spent time alternating between staying at my Dad's and staying at my Mum's. I've lived where I live now for 9 years (plus another if you count the time I've lived here before) and it's the longest I've stayed in 1 house. I'd certainly miss this house when I move out or whatever, but not to the same extent as you. I've moved around a lot, so I'm used to changing my surroundings. I went to 3 different primary schools, and to me, moving isn't that much of a big deal. Actually thinking about it, I'd miss this house quite a bit. I like the area but hey, you have to move on at some point and who knows, you could meet new people and you'll get a new room out of it.
  • Options
    Originally posted by lucifer devil
    You'd be expected to be wary having lived there all your life. Up until the age of about 11, I'd moved around 12 times and also spent time alternating between staying at my Dad's and staying at my Mum's. I've lived where I live now for 9 years (plus another if you count the time I've lived here before) and it's the longest I've stayed in 1 house. I'd certainly miss this house when I move out or whatever, but not to the same extent as you. I've moved around a lot, so I'm used to changing my surroundings. I went to 3 different primary schools, and to me, moving isn't that much of a big deal. Actually thinking about it, I'd miss this house quite a bit. I like the area but hey, you have to move on at some point and who knows, you could meet new people and you'll get a new room out of it.
    Thats the thing. I've never moved. Not school or home. So it'll seem so weird. And I don't want a new room - I've only just swapped rooms in this house and finished decorating it! What a waste :(
  • Options
    I've never moved before, so I don't really know what to say except say that if you wanna talk about it, you know i'm here for you. At least you're still gonna have the memories, and you can always look back and laugh *cough* the goat *cough*

Things might be easier on your mum aswell, so that'll take a bit of stress off of her, and thats a good thing.

I wish I knew what else to say, but having never moved before I can't. Thinking about it, I wouldn't really want to move because I like my house.

Just remember, i'm here if you wanna talk.
  • Options
    Originally posted by RiSe & ShIne
    *cough* the goat *cough*
    :o

Heh, thanks Craig. :heart:

I've just gotta accept it really. It's gonna happen, so I best be positive.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Young and sexy
    :o

Heh, thanks Craig. :heart:

I've just gotta accept it really. It's gonna happen, so I best be positive.

Yah, just keep your chin up. :)
  • Options
    Well, I have moved twice. The first time was like 2 roads down coz we wanted a smaller house but I didnt really feel the difference coz I still went to the same school, and I was young so it just seemed normal kinda thing. Then about 2 years ago I moved 35 miles down the road. From a nice(ish) small town to a hoooge city. I guess some days i get up and do regret moving coz I have lost contract with my mates and stuff, had to make new ones and have no where near as many as I used to. But then here, I have things to do, places to go etc.

I dunno what the point in that was but like, I think it was somehting to do with, something good could come out of it, dont think of the worst. Or something.
  • Options
    I've moved three times.

The first time I was glad because it meant me getting a bigger room.

The second time was out of the family home, which I was very pleased about, I was aching to get out of there and up to the big smoke where I belong.

The third time I was glad again because my first place was very small and my flat now is really nice.

Just make sure that you get first choice on your room, that way you might even like the new place more.
  • Options
    It's not the rooms I'm bothered about though, it's fact that I'm leaving my home behind.

Anyway, thanks for the comments guys :)
  • Options
    By the time I was about 13-14 I didnt feel at home with my parents anyway. I guess it all depends.
  • Options
    in my experience, it is surprising how quickly a new place starts to feel like home.
  • Options
    JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    Originally posted by kaffrin
    in my experience, it is surprising how quickly a new place starts to feel like home.
    :yes:

I moved last year and despite all the annoyance the move is, it doesnt take long to settle in.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Young and sexy
    It's not the rooms I'm bothered about though, it's fact that I'm leaving my home behind.

Anyway, thanks for the comments guys :)

What about taking on a lodger? You said you have 2 spare rooms, .. rooms in London go for like £200 to £300 per month.

or you could get an Aupair in and let them live there in exchange of helping your mum around the house
  • Options
    I've moved house more times than you could shake a stick at.

Uh, I just counted and it's 21 times.

Don't worry... you'll soon get used to it.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Miffy
    I've moved house more times than you could shake a stick at.

Uh, I just counted and it's 21 times.

Don't worry... you'll soon get used to it.

You in the witness protection programme?? :D
  • Options
    Originally posted by DiamondGeezer
    You in the witness protection programme?? :D

No. :)
  • Options
    I just got similar news - we have to move out of our house because our landlady is gonna cut her stick, so she wants to sell it before the inevitable.

I've only ever moved house once, and that was when I moved country [from Portugal to Belgium where I am now]. I've been here 10 years & am devastated of the thought of leaving this house, which, like yours, we were lucky to have considering the size of it. Altho of course nothing compares to the house we had in Portugal!

You'll settle in eventually, though it might be difficult at first, obviously. Like you said, be positive about the whole situation. You could make new friends and all that polaver. I'm hoping there are people my age as neighbours when I move because right now they're all stuck-up farts. Bah.

Aaaanyway - good luck with it all!
  • Options
    Look at it this way. One day you will be moving out of home anyway. This is a bit like that, but you'll still be with your family.
    As someone has already said, your new place will feel like home after a few months. :yes:
  • Options
    Aww, im sure it'l be fine :)

Ive never moved, i guess the first time i move will be when i go to uni, which is two years away and im scared already! lol.
  • Options
    My Mum moved from Derby down to Devon last summer, but i decided to stay at a mates house during the summer (what a laugh!) as it was more convenient as i was working and needed the money. As i'm at Uni it doesn't really bother me that much. Got a part-time job over Easter which i've come back to now i've finished Uni for the summer. Plus the sea is not far away :D