Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

I nearly saw someone kill themself.

BillieTheBotBillieTheBot Posts: 8,723 Bot
I was walking along Embankment on Friday night after a very good comedy sesion and I realised they had cordorned off one of the bridges.

Basically this bloke was WAY up on one of the supports and there was three police boats in the water and a full team trying to talk him down.

What was worst about it though was there was a whole crowd of people watching, some taking pictures and video!

He jumped though I didnt see him, I've spoken with the Met today and they say he's going to be alright, which has put my mind at ease.

Why would anyone want a video of someone trying to kill themselves?

It truely was people at their worst.
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    the tabloids would love a bit, as would crummy ITV....they would probably pay too.
  • Options
    It was just nasty, why would you want to watch someone die?
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    Originally posted by luby
    the tabloids would love a bit, as would crummy ITV....they would probably pay too.
    There must be more than that. I once saw some woman saying stuff to her daughter in public, making her fall on the ground crying. There were at least 20 people around standing in a circle, and just watching.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Zalbor
    There must be more than that. I once saw some woman saying stuff to her daughter in public, making her fall on the ground crying. There were at least 20 people around standing in a circle, and just watching.

a quote from a roger mcgough poem:

"masochistic tenderness"

that explains it to me
  • Options
    Thats just sick.
  • Options
    Not something you see every day though is it.
  • Options
    What so because it doesnt happen very often I should stand there and watch to see him jump and quite possibly die.

Can you not see thats a little grim?
  • Options
    Originally posted by bongbudda
    What so because it doesnt happen very often I should stand there and watch to see him jump and quite possibly die.

Can you not see thats a little grim?

only as grime as birth.

i watched someone give birth and i cryed because it made me think of all the pain and suffering that baby is going to have to go through in its life time.....

death is a natural part of life: the end
  • Options
    The people that were videoing Concorde when it was on fire got £100,000 - It's sad but at the end of the day it's money that can be put to use, be it good or bad.
  • Options

Theres nothing natural about someone killing themselves.
  • Options
    Not when your throwing yourself of a bridge it isnt.

I've known people who have tried to commit sucicide and it brings back memories of how bad they were before they tried it.

You have to be suffering badly to even contemplate it let alone throw yourself off a bridge.

The comparison with birth doesnt work. That baby may well experience pain, but then there will be happiness as well.

That man could well have gone on to nothingness, or something worse.
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    Rewording what I said in another thread, there's a huge distance between accepting death and wanting it (or not caring for it).
  • Options
    Thats horrible. Esp when people make money out of it, its unfair and wrong.
  • Options

Yes you should, then you should go and make a post on an Internet forum all about it.
  • Options
    Originally posted by WD40
    Yes you should, then you should go and make a post on an Internet forum all about it.

Sod off, you have only posted 30 odd times and already proved yourself to be a dull irritating troll.
  • Options
    Sod off, you have only posted 30 odd times and already proved yourself to be a dull irritating troll.

Yes 30 posts, you label me a troll yet you get wound up and take everything I say so seriously.
  • Options
    No, I have no intention of taking anything you say seriously, your just boring.
  • Options
    No, I have no intention of taking anything you say seriously.

Then for goodness sake, ignore me.
  • Options
    It is pretty horrible and disturbing to video someone trying to do that but if it hadnt been for amature video people (sorry dont know the proper word!) then we wouldnt have had andy footage of the 9/11 disaster.
  • Options
    I think there is a difference with those though. With the 11th of September attacks I think people recorded it more because they couldnt believe it was happening.

This bloke wasnt that far from these people and they were standing there videoing him.
  • Options
    I think there is a difference with those though. With the 11th of September attacks I think people recorded it more because they couldnt believe it was happening.

This bloke wasnt that far from these people and they were standing there videoing him.

but maybe they couldnt believe it was happening either. I know I have never seen something like that, and im thinking nor had you until this incident, and in a sick kind of way it could make for curious viewing. Furthermore, the sight of the police boats etc would draw anyones attention.

Also, some people, who are usually tourists, just dont seem able to put their video cameras down. They become an extention of their eye. I mean, people film their relatives and other things in the most mundane of circumstances. It might just be that these filmers were not seeing this incident as anything overly different and filmed it just as they film everything else. Also, since you dont see it everyday, it would be something to write home about.

However, yes...it is sick filming something like that, but i can see why someone would film it.
  • Options
    Re: I nearly saw someone kill themself.
    I was walking along Embankment on Friday night after a very good comedy sesion and I realised they had cordorned off one of the bridges.

Basically this bloke was WAY up on one of the supports and there was three police boats in the water and a full team trying to talk him down.

What was worst about it though was there was a whole crowd of people watching, some taking pictures and video!

He jumped though I didnt see him, I've spoken with the Met today and they say he's going to be alright, which has put my mind at ease.

It truely was people at their worst.
    This has happened loads of times on a multi-story building in town. It's natural to look and be curious, but its quite disturbing when people take photographs.
  • Options
    reminds me of that Larkin poem "ambulances"
  • Options
    what? strange :eek2:
  • Options
    on thursday morning someone threw themself in front of the selby train, and all the people going to work had to sit on the train for 3 hours while they picked all the bits up. yum.

the chick i work with (who usually catches that train but was in a meeting elsewhere that day) told me that story while i was eating my dinner. nice.

that's my semi-relevant story.
  • Options
    I was about to say I hope people who throw themselves in front of trains die, Ho hum.

The train makes a lovely big bump when they hit the body though.
  • Options
    But to be serious.

I think people who watch are sick, but I think it is human nature. It's why people always rubber-neck at car wrecks (and then get into one themselves :lol: ), and it's horrible but it's a fact of life.

I wouldn't watch because I would feel sick, but there is a morbid curiosity about it all. I'll bet the most-downloaded mpeg of recent weeks is the film of American man being beheaded. Makes a change from the mpeg of the woman and small daughter being hit by the train, though.
  • Options

That's true. You could also say why do certian websites have a video of the American being beheaded? Sicko's.
  • Options
    They can't even leave the poor man alone.

Even if he was trying to take himself. They can't just let him control his own death, now they won't let him control his own life.