Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

Speeding Ticket - ADVICE

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hi,

I just got nicked for speeding, 90 in a 70pmh.... I amnot proud - but what happens now?

adivce?

Comments

• Options
    How long have you had your license?
  • Options
    Did you have a letter today?

90 in a 70 is a dodgy one, you might get away with 3 points and a £60 fine or you might get a summons for court, I doubt you'll get a ban..

Personally, I got caught speeding in November and I ignored all the letters and so far haven't been done.. I could still get a summons but hey it's still been a while without the stress lol.

Info on speeding fines and points is here at speedtrap

Good luck bro
  • Options
    Originally posted by Aspartame
    What type of road was it?

Surely if it was a 70 it was a motorway?
  • Options
    Oh yeah lol, forgot about dual-carriageways :/.

I dont think the rules are different though to be honest.
  • Options
    It was a motorway, limit was 70, I was doing 92, they have sent a form asking for y licence number.

I have had my licence for 5 1/2 years.......

AGHHHHHHhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
  • Options
    bloody hell, you're unlucky!

i think they let you off if you're doing below 90, least that's what i've been told.
  • Options
    I think speed limits should be allowed to vary with road conditions and time of the day/ week

Like the M1 at night after around 8pm / 9pm on a perfectly clear road it's easy to do 80mph to 85 mph pretty safely.

or the A40 has limits of 40 mph to speed up traffic during peak hours, but off peak this is pretty damn slow when the road itself is layed out much like a motorway.

I think sometimes appropriate speed for the time and conditions can be safer as drivers are less likely to get tired as the journey time is then shorter.
  • Options
    Originally posted by lucifer devil

i think they let you off if you're doing below 90, least that's what i've been told.

You are joking?!!!!

He will get something done, otherwise everyone would do it.:crazyeyes
  • Options
    advice? bit obvious really... try not speeding.
  • Options
    Originally posted by lucifer devil
    bloody hell, you're unlucky!

If that was the case, wouldn't the limit be 90?
  • Options
    I drove on the A40 last night at about 2am, speed limit is kinda of a joke in some sections, 40 MPH on a 3 lane road with a hard shoulder too, sound likes a motorway to me!!

I think people would speed less in built up areas if they were allowed to drive at the right speed in other areas!!
  • Options
    Originally posted by DiamondGeezer
    I think speed limits should be allowed to vary with road conditions and time of the day/ week

don't you think that overcomplicates it a bit though? :p when the police say why were you speeding "oh I thought it was tuesday evening, err sorry officer" etc etc
  • Options
    Originally posted by CheeseOnToast
    Good luck bro
    Good luck?

I don't think he should be wished good luck, I think he should be punished with the whole weight of the law!

I seriously cannot abide speeding, it does my head in. When you see your best friend knocked over when you're little it kinda makes you realise that whatever anyone might think, speeding does kill. And yeah, I realise you were on a motorway, and you probably thought the road was clear, and you were just keeping up with traffic blah blah blah but if you've no intention of sticking to the law when you take up driving lessons then I reckon you just shouldn't bother.

Rant over.
  • Options
    Originally posted by BumbleBee
    Good luck?

I don't think he should be wished good luck, I think he should be punished with the whole weight of the law!

I seriously cannot abide speeding, it does my head in. When you see your best friend knocked over when you're little it kinda makes you realise that whatever anyone might think, speeding does kill. And yeah, I realise you were on a motorway, and you probably thought the road was clear, and you were just keeping up with traffic blah blah blah but if you've no intention of sticking to the law when you take up driving lessons then I reckon you just shouldn't bother.

Rant over.

I disagree. Someone could be killed just as easily if they were run into at 70mph as if they were at 90mph. Also, you dismiss the fact that it is a motorway as rubbish [blah blah etc] but really, its not rubbish. Motorways are for cars and motorbikes, hence the name "motorway". Pedestrians should and most likely will not be around them, and if they are do you not think that it is more their fault than the driver's if they are knocked over? And the law aspect you base your argument on - Do you not think the police would be better focusing their time on tackling organised and street crime than by devoting much of their time and funding to catching people going 5mph faster than they should be?

Just my opinion.

Duffy
  • Options
    Originally posted by Doofay
    I disagree. Someone could be killed just as easily if they were run into at 70mph as if they were at 90mph. Also, you dismiss the fact that it is a motorway as rubbish [blah blah etc] but really, its not rubbish. Motorways are for cars and motorbikes, hence the name "motorway". Pedestrians should and most likely will not be around them, and if they are do you not think that it is more their fault than the driver's if they are knocked over? And the law aspect you base your argument on - Do you not think the police would be better focusing their time on tackling organised and street crime than by devoting much of their time and funding to catching people going 5mph faster than they should be?

Just my opinion.

Duffy

It's not only pedestrians who are killed by speeding. I'm sure the 70mph limit is also there to limit car-car collisions. At 90mph it gives you just a little less time to react. When the speed limits are done I'm sure they take into account things like 'well it's not much difference' but imagine everyone driving at 120mph, I doubt anyone would walk away from collisions! But they found an optimum limit, that allows people to travel at speed but also safely.

When the police get speeders they're trying to get an idea across (though it doesn't seem to work) that people shouldn't speed. There's always the 'responsible' speeder, who may only drive a bit over the limit on an empty road. But there's also the irresponsible speeder, who will break the speed limits when it is increasingly dangerous to do so. How do the police distinguish between the two? They have to punish people either way because otherwise in court you'd hear "but I'm a responsible speeder" all the time as a defense - how do you prove or unprove that?

If people just didn't speed in general it would make the police's work so much easier, it's not going to make people suffer that much really is it?
  • Options
    Pay up, expect 3 points on your licence and a fine. Plus say hello to higher insurance.
  • Options
    Originally posted by TheShyBoyInTheCorner
    I'm sure the 70mph limit is also there to limit car-car collisions. At 90mph it gives you just a little less time to react.

the motorway is pretty much the safest place to be, driver-wise. and if you do crash at motorway speeds, even if you're doing 70, you're pretty much toast anyway.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Doofay
    Just my opinion.
    Yes and what I wrote was just my opinion. I'll never, ever agree with speeding and even if the speed limit was increased I'd still stick to 70mph max and only in good conditions. I would rather be boring and slow.
  • Options
    Originally posted by BumbleBee
    I would rather be boring and slow.

My dad says a slow driver can be just as dangerous as a fast one.

Anyawy - for the people who disagreed / disputed with my post I would just like to add: if there's anything wrong with the 70mph speed limit then it should be changed, perhaps parliament just hasn't got round to it? My dad (once again, a wealth of knowledge) beleives 80mph would be more appropriate.

One thing I'd like to point out though - a lot of our roads are more curvy and go around the landscape, compared to perhaps Germany where they have higher speed limits. Don't know if that's relevant though :confused:
  • Options
    Originally posted by TheShyBoyInTheCorner
    My dad says a slow driver can be just as dangerous as a fast one.
    I don't plod along at 50 y'know!
  • Options
    yeah, there was one of those police action programmes on before where they interviewed a police guy who said that he didn't think that speed was responsible for most accidents, it was normally careless / reckless driving.
  • Options
    thanks for the comments - and also for the useful and intresiting debate.

Firstly - I know I was driving too fast, and I am guilty of it - and will go with whatever I need to when it comes! I drove the same route this weekend - and totally stuck to the speed limit..... and it only took 30mins longer so why bother rushing!?

As for my views on the law. I think we should have system similar to the french. Here there are allways limits (unlike some German roads), but they change witht he weather and conditions, and the limit is put up on singns on the central resevation. So when it rains, 50mph is the limit - and if some twat goes 70 he gets caught. Likewise, on a quite sunday afternoon when there is nothing, french liits go up to around 90mph.

As for the pedestrian debate - I think we need to lower innercity limits - espeicaly near schools and the like, to 20mph - but raise the motorways higher.

However, I was talking to a traffic cop recently about the 70 or 80 debate. He pointed out that with the limit at 70 most people drive at 80...... if you raise the limit to 80 people will drive at 90.... and so on.... not sure if this is true or not - but thought it was an intresting point.

If you have read this far - thank you for bearing with me soo long in this post!

FO
  • Options
    Originally posted by DiamondGeezer
    I drove on the A40 last night at about 2am, speed limit is kinda of a joke in some sections, 40 MPH on a 3 lane road with a hard shoulder too, sound likes a motorway to me!!
    Sounds like the M8. Its a full-on motorway, but the limits only 50, where it goes through Glasgow. I guess its because of noise more than safety issues.
    As for the pedestrian debate - I think we need to lower innercity limits - espeicaly near schools and the like, to 20mph - but raise the motorways higher.
    I totally agree.
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,287 Skive's The Limit
    Intresting read right here
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Generally police only ignore speeding if it is +3mph of the speed limit. Anything more and they will stop you, or issue fines from cameras.

Bumblebee, you're being a bit unfair. 90mph is too fast for motorways, but the speed limit of 70mph is too slow given modern cars. The speed limit was only introuduced because of the 1970s fuel crisis, not because of safety reasons.

Germany has unrestricted motorways, and people don't die by their hundreds there.

Slow driving is more dangerous than fast driving. I believe some old fogey doing 40 on a motorway is more dangerous than someone doing 90, and slow drivers should be the ones getting banned. The guy I was following on the A68 doing 22mph should be jailed for life.