Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

Pop3/imap/smtp

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Does anyone know how I can find the addresses for POP3/IMAP for my incoming mail for my Gmail as I'm trying to set it up for outlook and SMTP for my outgoing mail..

Does anyone know the servers?

Comments

• Options
    I imagine the people at google do.

As far as we are concerned, it's a web based email system.
  • Options
    Take a look on the help and support page if there is one, if not then email customer services im sure they will happily tell you.
  • Options
    afaik it is only webmail.
  • Options
    yes, it's only webmail at the moment, but they're going to support pop3 retrieval so gmail can download your mail from pop servers as a standard, similar to what hotmail does (or used to do)

as for smtp if i remember right most UK isp's deny access to smtp servers that aren't on the isp's network , so if you're on btopenworld you (might be) forced to use their SMTP server to send outgoing mail , this woulden't really be a problem since you configure the "from" address from your outlook client, and can send e-mail from outlook that would appear to come from your gmail.

retrieving your gmail e-mail in outlook is at the moment impossible, although there are rumoured plans to support it at a modest subscription fee (aswell as being able to pay to make your gmail ad-less)

hth.
  • Options
    Thanks for that Noog :)
  • Options
    how bizarre, the day you ask that question is the day an application is developed to do such a thing...

http://www.neowin.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=169789

it talks to gmail and emulates a pop3 server. orgasmic.
  • Options
    Originally posted by noog
    orgasmic.

Very;)
  • Options