Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

The 'British' National Anthem

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Originally posted by The Matadore

Far more money goes north from England to Scotland than goes south, same with Wales. YOu want independence? Fine, but you wont get a scrap from the English taxpayer.

Scotland and Wales would die outside the Union.
    for once i agree with you mat ...living in wales i can see it all to clearly.
    Originally posted by Blagsta
    I think "Weak Become Heroes" by The Streets would be more relevant than that shit awful dirge we currently have.

How about Ghost Town? ;)
    Originally posted by BlackArab
    How about Ghost Town? ;)
    brings back many memories for me that little tune ...
    Originally posted by *DEVIL*
    This is my point, the scots are too quick to complain about the English, moan about the football absolutely hate us ]

up your bum :thumb:

and it is SCOTTISH not SCOTCH!

THANK YOU
    This is my point, the scots are too quick to complain about the English, moan about the football absolutely hate us (my mum was picked on my her teacher when she was little in scotland as she was English!)

But they want freedom, want their own flag, own anthem, own this own that own everything, the english taxpayer pays, they want their own identity their own 'pride' well thats all well and good but dont come here complaining.

They cannot cope without the English Taxpayer, yet they get to have their 'own parliament' still get to spend the money.

Want freedom we can have it this way, its fair and you all get what ya like!

Wales - All things provided 100% from the Welsh Taxpayer
    Scotland - All things provided 100% from the Scottish Taxpayer
    England - All things provided 100% from the English Taxpayer

Who will be better off?

Yeah thats sounds more fair! lets all have freedom!

Wales hardly has its own parliament, it can barely do anything.

And like the English always are nice to the welsh and the scots, I get shit everyday for being welsh its not exactly nice.

Your views are typical of a UKIP supporter, "Hurrah we dont need the welsh and the scots sponging off us lets get rid of them as well as the EU!"

And whoever said the English anthem is rousing, how can tou say that its sooooooooo dull. I dont like the fact the english anthem is forced upon the other nations thanks.
    Originally posted by Renzokuken

And like the English always are nice to the welsh and the scots, I get shit everyday for being welsh its not exactly nice.

SO TRUE.

and what about that maggie thatcher bird she used the scots to try out the poll tax, what was that all about?

bully boys ;)
    This may come as a surprise but all things being equal the new anthem will be 'God Save The King'

oh.
    Re: The 'British' National Anthem
    Originally posted by Renzokuken
    For a start the 'British' Anthem is is just the English anthem, hardly fair on us Scots and the Welsh to have the English one forced upon it?

is it just me, or is 'god save the queen' the british anthem, and engand doesn't have it's own?

cause on the commonwealth games, if an english person wins, they play 'land of hope and glory'. but if you google 'english national anthem, it tells you there isn't one.

muchos confusion.
    But the UK is multi-cultural now... so technically the national anthem is biased towards Christians as it's "God save the Queen"... I mean what if you're Hindu, Sikh or Buddhist?

Really it ain't PC :p
    Fuck off, the UK has practically changed its whole law system and society to fit this multi cultural basis we are not going to change or identity or our national anthem. I started off on these boards very independant and quite apolitical but I find myself siding more and more with conservatives, some of these arguments are bullshit to say the least.

"No, they are Scottish. Scotch is a drink!"

Scotch is the Scottish word for English "Scots"

You lot seam to be very defensive of this multi culturalism yet you cannot understand the very multi cultural society we live in...

I am not from England yet I consider God Save the Queen the British national anthem which it is.

"No, they're German actually."

Seams multi cultural enough for my liking. I dont give a fuck what they are but our national anthem should not be "progressivly" changed to suit the wankers here who do not have any respect for their country. Why are we so dismissive of our national identity for that is the cause of conflict?
    Originally posted by MoonRat
    But the UK is multi-cultural now... so technically the national anthem is biased towards Christians as it's "God save the Queen"... I mean what if you're Hindu, Sikh or Buddhist?

Really it ain't PC :p

They had Gods too last time I checked.
    Originally posted by Blagsta
    I think "Weak Become Heroes" by The Streets would be more relevant than that shit awful dirge we currently have.
    Seriosyly it ciuyldnt get mire british than that.
    Personally I don't give a fuck about the "national anthem".
    Its irrelevant.
    No, keep it, fuck off

write your own welsh 1 with sheep and fields if you want

"god save our gracious sheep...."

By the way, I don't see anything about scots in the second verse....

God save our gracious Queen
    Long live our noble Queen,
    God save the Queen:
    Send her victorious,
    Happy and glorious,
    Long to reign over us:
    God save the Queen.

O Lord, our God, arise,
    Scatter thine enemies,
    And make them fall:
    Confound their politics,
    Frustrate their knavish tricks,
    On thee our hopes we fix:
    God save us all.

Thy choicest gifts in store,
    On her be pleased to pour;
    Long may she reign:
    May she defend our laws,
    And ever give us cause
    To sing with heart and voice
    God save the Queen.
    Scotch is the Scottish word for English "Scots"

Since when? :confused: and how do you have English "Scots", that just doesn't make sense.
    Originally posted by solid_L
    No, keep it, fuck off

write your own welsh 1 with sheep and fields if you want

"god save our gracious sheep...."

Typical :mad: Fuck you :mad:

Well that verse is not sung no more but officially it *is* part of the ENGLISH national anthem
    As a welsh person i think it sucks, i would rather eat fuckin hot coals than sing that shit. oh wait, maybe i should go and sing god save our gracious sheep?! :mad:
    The English national antham is Land of Hope and Glory.... the British Empire antham is God Save the Queen.

However, at some sporting events, the Enlgish sing the British antham. Just to confuse everyone.

As for independance.

At the moment, you are right the Welsh would fall apart without being apart of the UK. The scottish would be okish due to Oil comming in - but it may not last.

However, both areas bring in vital grants and funding for the UK from Europe - and so there is a large back scrattching exercise going on.

Also, in reality - the boarders are more symbolic rather than territorial. They provide a division for people to feel nationalistic about - but territorially they don't mean alot. For instance, in south wales a lot of people live, but work along the M4 corridor or London. A large number of these people are proud to live in Wales, but it does not in any way deterime there actions.

***toooooo much political national geography for one evening! ***

FO
    "Since when? and how do you have English "Scots", that just doesn't make sense."

Did you not know that Scottish people have their own language or something?

Perhaps if I use another example such as Anglais means English in French? Does that help your explaination?
    Originally posted by Rocksteady
    "Since when? and how do you have English "Scots", that just doesn't make sense."

Did you not know that Scottish people have their own language or something?

Perhaps if I use another example such as Anglais means English in French? Does that help your explaination?

You'd still be wrong. Nobody uses the term "scotch", the correct phrase is "scots".
    Originally posted by funkyone
    At the moment, you are right the Welsh would fall apart without being apart of the UK. The scottish would be okish due to Oil comming in - but it may not last.

Why would Wales fall apart but Scotland not?
    Originally posted by wee wuman
    This is my point, the scots are too quick to complain about the English, moan about the football absolutely hate us ]

up your bum :thumb:

and it is SCOTTISH not SCOTCH!

THANK YOU

Read it again, use your finger if it helps you to spell a word out.

S....C.....O.....T......S
    Originally posted by Aspartame
    It may be hard, but if you attempt some thinking, it would appear that she's referring to someone else saying "Scotch" :)

As for anthems...I don't care.

In that case it may make sense to quote that post :p
    I think it's just fine the way it is. If it's not broke why fix it.
    I think it's just fine the way it is. If it's not broke why fix it.

because some people, one being me, would resent singin it, as far as im concerned its english, and id sooner eat shit than sing it. the english would soon have enough to say if they were representin briton but had to sing the welsh anthem, or flower of scotland. So why should we have to sing thiers.
    Originally posted by Foxxy_Cymru
    because some people, one being me, would resent singin it, as far as im concerned its english, and id sooner eat shit than sing it. the english would soon have enough to say if they were representin briton but had to sing the welsh anthem, or flower of scotland. So why should we have to sing thiers.

Looks as if you would rather use your own language, certainly cannot use English can you?

I would rather eat shit, than cross the Severn Bridge
    Originally posted by UpsetChap
    You'd still be wrong. Nobody uses the term "scotch", the correct phrase is "scots".

Depends.

The correct term is "Scotch" OR "Scottish". If you don't like it it is tough shit, because that is the way it is.

The main street in carlisle is divided into English Street and Scotch Street. So there.

personally I think the Scotch should be forced to sing the second verse at all their games. For comedy reasons.
    YOU don't have to sing it do you. Wales don't have shit apart from sheep and the UKs capitol rubbish dump, Cardiff. The only good thing to come from Wales is Charlotte Church's arse and that's not even that good.
    God save our gracious Sheep
    Long live our sheared sheep,
    God save the Sheep:
    Send them victorious,
    Happy and glorious,
    Long to cum over us:
    God save the sheep.

Yeah i can see that boyo, your own anthem :D
    Originally posted by Felix Da Housecat
    YOU don't have to sing it do you. Wales don't have shit apart from sheep and the UKs capitol rubbish dump, Cardiff. The only good thing to come from Wales is Charlotte Church's arse and that's not even that good.

as that what i smelt when i went for my interview....sheep shit!