Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

The 'British' National Anthem

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Should it be changed?

For a start the 'British' Anthem is is just the English anthem, hardly fair on us Scots and the Welsh to have the English one forced upon it? In the unsung verse 2 it mentions 'Crushing Scots' doesnt it? Hardly something that is going to rally the gots round the Union Jack

Furthermore, 'God Save The Queen' does not sound very relevent in a British society that is increasingly less religious and in which the Monach is now nothing but a figurehead sponging off our taxes

Finally, its just plain dull! It sounds so boring compared with many other nations anthems.

Anyway this is me trying to get a debate going while the forums are dead.

:)

Comments

• Options
    Re: The 'British' National Anthem
    Originally posted by Renzokuken
    Should it be changed?

For a start the 'British' Anthem is is just the English anthem, hardly fair on us Scots and the Welsh to have the English one forced upon it? In the unsung verse 2 it mentions 'Crushing Scots' doesnt it? Hardly something that is going to rally the gots round the Union Jack

Furthermore, 'God Save The Queen' does not sound very relevent in a British society that is increasingly less religious and in which the Monach is now nothing but a figurehead sponging off our taxes

Finally, its just plain dull! It sounds so boring compared with many other nations anthems.

god save the queen has never been so important!
    it's probably the only chance they have.
  • Options

I think that the anthem and flag of a nation should be redisigned every few years by students...
  • Options
    Re: Re: The 'British' National Anthem
    Originally posted by xicoperez
    I think that the anthem and flag of a nation should be redisigned every few years by students...
    what a good idea! a drum n base flag ...a rock n roll flag ...a cannabis leaf flag ...
  • Options
    what a good idea! a drum n base flag ...a rock n roll flag ...a cannabis leaf flag

Maybe 'God Save The Queen' isn't that bad after all
  • Options
    Are the monarchy not Scotch?

I dont know if you watched the football but it seamed the Swiss national anthem was so utterly boring and not one of the Swiss players this afternoon looked very happy about singing it. God save the queen on the other hand was sung with a very real feeling of patriotism.

Perhaps we should have a European anthem to help us all become more European but the biggest problem I see is who Europe would play in football tournaments?
  • Options
    Originally posted by Renzokuken
    Should it be changed?

"Something something something....rebelious Scots to crush"

To quote Billy Connolly "Oh ya fucking think so?!"
  • Options
    I think that Scotland, N. Ireland and Wales are entitled to their own anthems. I haven't looked into the 'crushing the scots' bit, but we should change that bit perhaps, but the anthem is just 'our' anthem - it's been around so long and everyone knows it. An old dog can't learn new tricks, as they say.

Anyway, my point is: Britain is turning more into independant states, with the Welsh assembly, Scottish parliament and probably a N. Ireland equivelant :confused: so I don't see why since all these countries have such a strong national identity each that they should have a british (rather English) anthem for them.

Perhaps the British anthem should be a combination of all four? Like the union jack?
  • Options
    I wonder what Lukesh would say about this... :chin:
  • Options
    Yeh it's a crap anthem.

Flower of Scotland isn't much better though. It sounds tired and dull. When I go to the rugby it's song's like loch lomond that gets the crowd going.
  • Options
    Originally posted by UpsetChap
    Yeh it's a crap anthem.

Flower of Scotland isn't much better though. It sounds tired and dull. When I go to the rugby it's song's like loch lomond that gets the crowd going.

Eye Of The Tiger would much, much better.
  • Options
    Your national anthem should be "God Save The Queen" by the Sex Pistols :D
    More of a change of people knowing it.
  • Options
    Maybe Queens 'I want to break free'
  • Options
    Maybe "Jerusalem" would suit England and a revised non-imperialistic version of "Land of Hope and Glory" for Britain.
  • Options
    National anthems are as a general rule boring and uninspiring.

From the aesthetic point of view the only one I like is Russia's. That is one beautiful piece!
  • Options
    Originally posted by Aladdin
    From the aesthetic point of view the only one I like is Russia's. That is one beautiful piece!

:yes: :yes: :yes:

When they became the Russian Federation they changed it to something else, but it was so unpopular they changed the tune back to the soviet one, just changed the words.

I also like Germany's one though :p
  • Options
    Originally posted by Jacqueline the Ripper
    Your national anthem should be "God Save The Queen" by the Sex Pistols :D
    More of a change of people knowing it.

:thumb:

I think the Italien anthem is ok, though Im sick of hearing it after every Formula 1 race :(
  • Options
    Originally posted by Rocksteady
    No, they are Scottish. Scotch is a drink!

But yes, James VI of Scotland became James I of Great Britain way back in 1603.

Anyway, this subject of the national anthem comes up time and time again. I think we should keep GSTQ as the British anthem, but have something like Jerusalem as an English anthem for English-only events, like the footy.

(Edited because I got the wrong James.)
  • Options
    Originally posted by ladymuck
    Maybe 'God Save The Queen' isn't that bad after all

The Sex Pistols version.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Rocksteady

No, they're German actually.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Captain Slog
    (I´m in Spain with no access tro my history books!)

Spain? I thought you were in Benidorm...
  • Options
    Originally posted by Blagsta
    No, they're German actually.

That's what I thought!
  • Options
    Originally posted by TheShyBoyInTheCorner
    I think that Scotland, N. Ireland and Wales are entitled to their own anthems. I haven't looked into the 'crushing the scots' bit, but we should change that bit perhaps, but the anthem is just 'our' anthem - it's been around so long and everyone knows it. An old dog can't learn new tricks, as they say.

Anyway, my point is: Britain is turning more into independant states, with the Welsh assembly, Scottish parliament and probably a N. Ireland equivelant :confused: so I don't see why since all these countries have such a strong national identity each that they should have a british (rather English) anthem for them.

Perhaps the British anthem should be a combination of all four? Like the union jack?

If they are entitled to their own flag anthem etc, then they are entitled to find their own tax from people, and stop chipping into ours! each country decides what their money goes on!

I sat there during each national anthem last night and i for one along with a lot of the country felt VERY proud to be english, and british, as i am during rememberance day when i march in the parade i feel very proud when that tune plays
  • Options
    Originally posted by *DEVIL*
    If they are entitled to their own flag anthem etc, then they are entitled to find their own tax from people, and stop chipping into ours! each country decides what their money goes on!

I sat there during each national anthem last night and i for one along with a lot of the country felt VERY proud to be english, and british, as i am during rememberance day when i march in the parade i feel very proud when that tune plays

To your first point, so you are saying if we are to be a part of the United Kingdom we dont get our own welsh flag? Or our own anthem? So we just have to use englands then? :rolleyes:
    So we are not entitled to tax payers money then are either are we? :yeees:
  • Options
    I'll go with Jacqs and Blagsta on this one.

or even the one of 'Human Traffic'
  • Options
    we dont get our own welsh flag? Or our own anthem? So we just have to use englands then?

Wales and Scotland have their own flags and anthems which they use at football games and things.

But Wales and Scotland are still part of the union and Britains anthem is God Save the Queen. It is a marvellous anthem, really rousing and patriotic.
    So we are not entitled to tax payers money then are either are we

Far more money goes north from England to Scotland than goes south, same with Wales. YOu want independence? Fine, but you wont get a scrap from the English taxpayer.

Scotland and Wales would die outside the Union.
  • Options
    I think "Weak Become Heroes" by The Streets would be more relevant than that shit awful dirge we currently have.
  • Options
    so what happens when the queen snuffs it then? she's nearly 80 as it is, it wont be too long now...
  • Options
    This may come as a surprise but all things being equal the new anthem will be 'God Save The King'
  • Options
    Originally posted by The Matadore

Far more money goes north from England to Scotland than goes south, same with Wales. YOu want independence? Fine, but you wont get a scrap from the English taxpayer.

Scotland and Wales would die outside the Union.

This is my point, the scots are too quick to complain about the English, moan about the football absolutely hate us (my mum was picked on my her teacher when she was little in scotland as she was English!)

But they want freedom, want their own flag, own anthem, own this own that own everything, the english taxpayer pays, they want their own identity their own 'pride' well thats all well and good but dont come here complaining.

They cannot cope without the English Taxpayer, yet they get to have their 'own parliament' still get to spend the money.

Want freedom we can have it this way, its fair and you all get what ya like!

Wales - All things provided 100% from the Welsh Taxpayer
    Scotland - All things provided 100% from the Scottish Taxpayer
    England - All things provided 100% from the English Taxpayer

Who will be better off?

Yeah thats sounds more fair! lets all have freedom!
  • Options
    Originally posted by *DEVIL*
    But they want freedom,

Actually by and large we don't. Welcome to reality.
    want their own flag, own anthem, own this own that own everything,

Whats wrong with that? I don't imagine you'd be too happy if the situations were reversed and you had a scottish flag and identity forced upon you.