Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

Annoying sound & boot up problems

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hi people, i thought i would save some trouble and put two threads in to one. Well i have 1 problem and an annoyance so here they are:

1. Sound - I connect my hi-fi player to my PC using a phono lead and have never had problems before, its only recently where the quality is kinda getting crap with cackly bits in like a radio station. Shall i invest in a gold plated lead and see the differece? As i only have a normal silver connector now.

2. Booting up problems - I think iv got a dodgy device driver because everytime i turn my PC on i have to restart it between 2 - 10 times because it keeps freezing during the boot process. Its annoying because the device manager shows no problems so its gotta be something i installed.

Thanx in advance for any replies :)

Comments

• Options
    Anyone please???
  • Options
    1. You could try a gold plated phono but first check your lead isn't damaged. The jack on my system speakers is bent and I also get a cracking/static type sound or everything will come thru my sub so try checking your lead first... Also try your lead on something else as well just to double check it's not the cable playing up.

2. Have you run a virus scan? Can you think of anything you have installed since this has happened? If your on XP then try using the system restore feature.
  • Options
    It could be the lead, iv had it for a while and its only started doing it recently. Il give it a check over though.

Yep iv done a virus scan and defrag and everything, but i got told that it may be my hard drive playing up because iv had the hard drive itself for 5 years (the computer is 2 years old but the hard drive is older, i have a second hard drive too). So i think its had its time, i need a bigger hard drive anyway so im gonna get another one, transfer the files and get rid of it.

Thanks for the reply :)
  • Options
    Yeah I would just get a new hard disk. You can pickup a 120gig for like 60 quid or something now.
  • Options
    Yeh im gonna pick up a new one, its safer then waiting to find out the problem.
  • Options
    Originally posted by RudeBwoy
    Yeh im gonna pick up a new one, its safer then waiting to find out the problem.

Personally I like seagate drives, very quiet and sealed all the way around from static unlike most other drives
  • Options
    I have 2 hard drives at the moment, one is a seagate and the other is a maxtor. The seagate one is the older one though and i gotta get rid of it before it dies on me.
  • Options
    Keep your old disks and just use them for storage mate...
  • Options
    Originally posted by Felix Da Housecat
    Keep your old disks and just use them for storage mate...

So your saying i should get a new hard drive for my primary OS drive and keep the others for general storage that dont get used very much?

Sounds like a good idea, i just dont want it to die with good files on.