Home Drink & Drugs
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Straight Edge

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
What the hell is the point in it? Why do people have to give a label to not drinking and not smoking? There doesn't seem much more to it than that to be honest.

An old friend has contacted me for the first time in ages and told me she's now 'straight edge'... wow! Not. Is it really worth even mentioning to someone that you don't drink or smoke? It isn't like she's going out and doing anything worthwhile like charity work!

Does anyone know if there is more to this stupid fashion trend? It just seems to be like another fad. Really I can't see why there has to be a name for the kind of lifestyle that millions of people choose. It isn't like its an alternative lifestyle. Grrr, sorry this has just got me really wound up. :rolleyes:

http://www.straight-edge.com for info!

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    It's not that new a thing, we had a feature on TheSite about it 3-4 years ago but it does seem a bit faddy with various bands/ stars like the lostprophets going on about it in the press at the moment though...
    Originally posted by Susie
    It's not that new a thing, we had a feature on TheSite about it 3-4 years ago but it does seem a bit faddy with various bands/ stars like the lostprophets going on about it in the press at the moment though...
    Yeah its been around for decades, but I've never been personally affected by it. I don't think there is any need whatsoever to draw attention to holding beliefs like that. I don't smoke and rarely drink and I've never done drugs, doesn't make me or anyone else a saint though. I feel like these people believe they are better than others and by defining themselves by what they don't do, well... its just a way for them to judge others.
    Ah well, another thread moved. Another thread that will die without discussion. Thanks.
    Originally posted by BumbleBee
    Yeah its been around for decades, but I've never been personally affected by it. I don't think there is any need whatsoever to draw attention to holding beliefs like that. I don't smoke and rarely drink and I've never done drugs, doesn't make me or anyone else a saint though. I feel like these people believe they are better than others and by defining themselves by what they don't do, well... its just a way for them to judge others.

I very much agree with that. If I'm not mistaken it's usually punk type bands that talk about it right? Minor Threat is the one that really sticks out. I just see people clasifing themselves as straight edge as being another hot topic way of trying to clasify themselves as punk. (if you get what I'm saying there, its not making that much sense I realize :/)
    No Manda, I get exactly what you're saying. If you were truely 'that cool' you wouldn't need to tell everyone or indeed give yourself a label!
    Its a very puritanical view point, that pleasure must be bad and therefore to avoid it is to be more moral or 'decent'.

Fair enough if you choose it, thats fine, but to broadcast it does imply and inherant fault with those who dont choose the same path as you.

Intoxication is a natural human urge, no society ever has been without it in one form or another. So one could well argue that it is they who are un-natural.

But then are morals and nature one and the same, quite possibly not.
    i was straight edge for a total of about 5 months. haha
    it was mostly because, being 16, when i go out, people are always trying to get me to drink or smoke pot etc when most of the time i dont want to.
    so it was easier to say i was straight edge than have all the stuff like 'ohh you're being boring yada yada yada'
    i know its like the same thing but as most people didnt seem to know what it was, to stop them looking stupid they'd just leave me alone so there was no pressure.

now people dont dog on me to smoke or drink i dont say im straight edge. i'm not i guess - i'll have a beer every now and then, but still pretty much stay clear of it
    I dont have any issue with someone who chooses that life style at all, personally I would think it a litte dull, but then some of the research and articles I read I am certain others would find dull.

Its the scorn and condemnation which goes with this type of life style choice which grates with your average drug user.

They feel there is nothing wrong in their choice of intoxicant and get irritated by those moralists.
    yeah - some people are like 'militant straight edgers' where they like try and get people to convert haha
    i think its silly, cos like they wouldn't like it if people were trying to make them do drugs etc.
    Yes, but then their way is Right.
    Originally an American punk thing iirc.
    I've met few straight edgers that i have a lot of respect for. Most i've come across are like "yeh i'm straight edge, i'm cooler than you I don't need that shit" which is just annoying, like goths who think because they're goth they're cooler than everyone else.
    I've even heard stories of sXe kids writing an X on the back of their hands in black marker pen everyday.

I think it's one of those things where there are people who properly believe and follow this, then it becomes popular for a while and some kids will adopt their ideas for a year or so, then giving up their beliefs when it goes out of fashion.
  • SkiveSkive Posts: 15,282 Skive's The Limit
    Re: Straight Edge
    Is it really worth even mentioning to someone that you don't drink or smoke?
    ....It isn't like its an alternative lifestyle.

I recall that you wouldn't have a relationship with a bloke who did drugs - it's not much of a jump before you start saying that you wouldn't have mates that did drugs. It obviously matters to some people.

Personally I'm usually quite open about the fact that I do drugs - but that doesn't involve making a big issue out of it.
    Weekender Offender 
    i have loads of friends who don0t drink but do drugs-ie get stoned on the weekends instead of drunk. and i find them far more friendly...mmmmmmm i've just remembered someone...:D
    We only got one life. Might as well live it.
    ive got a lot of respect for straight-edgers. In fact Ive got 2 friends who have been strictly sXe for their whole teenage years (ones 18 now the other is 20 ) and i respect them for it. It takes a lot of personal strength to be able to resist peer pressure and take your own stance....ok, the beliefs of being sXe get dragged out whenever a new punk band or whatever wants to appear to be "punker than thou" and things, but behind all the fakes and people who say their sXe but do pot on the weekends, theres a lot of people who this...well...this quasi-religion means the world to. As for the militant straight edgers or "hate edgers" as they sometimes get called, thats no better than bible bashers preaching to you etc, your beliefs are your beliefs, dont push them on other people.

I find the whole culture of sXe really interesting, but its not for me...i dont have the will power to be that dedicated.
    I think that was a little contradicting.

You don't need will power to be a "Straight-Edger," other wise you wouldn't nessisarily be doing what you want.

"Yes, I must will myself away from drugs and sex, I cannot fall into temptation."

You said it yourself, just do what you want. Don't follow anyone elses path. Do drugs, have sex; don't do drugs, don't have sex. It only takes will power to do something you most likely don't want to do. Straight-Edgers just sound like people who don't actually want to have sex or do drugs. They're not trying to force themselves out of it, they just don't really find it all that interesting.

Everyone is different. Just do what you wanna do, and fuck everyone else who tries to judge you. If it makes you happy, then by God, why not?
    straight edge has been on the go since the 80's, since minor threat to be techy. Its basically you cant condone any sort of caffiene(coke etc) drugs, smoking, any anti stimulants really. I have a few SXe friends who are true to it, dont preach it..simply see it as their choice.end. But i know more than enough kids who do it for image, they are the ones that dont take it seriously..or at least not to life choice standards and ultimately they give straight edge this lazy, meat headed view.

You also get the more hardcore kids that are vegan straight edge, i think you can work it out.

I myself am not, just for the record. :
    I forgot to add, promiscuous sex.
    Its a very puritanical view point, that pleasure must be bad and therefore to avoid it is to be more moral or 'decent'.
    But to people that are Straight Edge, smoking or drinking isn't necessarily pleasurable.
    No, but they are seen as decadent pleasures. Pleasure seeking for its own sake has traditionally been seen as indecent.
    Originally posted by AlmightyBob
    and i respect them for it. It takes a lot of personal strength to be able to resist peer pressure and take your own stance....

No, it doesn't take much to resist peer pressure to be honest. If you've got decent friends you should never feel peer pressure. I can honestly say I've never felt under any pressure whatsoever to drink or do drugs. And for the record Skive, in reply to an earlier comment you made, no I would not go out with someone who did drugs but I've very close friends who do and it doesn't bother me.
  • SkiveSkive Posts: 15,282 Skive's The Limit
    And for the record Skive, in reply to an earlier comment you made, no I would not go out with someone who did drugs but I've very close friends who do and it doesn't bother me.

That's cool
    ...but I always thought you were against recreational drug use in general, and regarded people who take them as 'losers'. :confused:

Alll I was trying to point out is that (unfortunately) it does matter to some people whether they're mates (or bf/gf) are recreational drugs users.
    Weekender Offender 
    I can see why it would be an issue though. Most puff smokers will want to at least a couple of times a week and if you live together then thats going to be a bit difficult.

Plus if you know the other doesnt approve then its going to make it a bit tense.

No one likes to be told what to do, especially when its something they enjoy.
    I know people who are seeing non-drug users and there's no problem with the relationships but they resent going on a night out together as they obviously don't have as good a time.

This can't be good for the relationship though.

The description of a 'Punk band' has changed, hasn't it?
    hehe, at the moment I'm off the drugs but only to see if I can.. quick reality check if you know what I mean.. plus I need the wonga!

My friends are probably split between drug users and non drug users.. probably more in the favour of users though, hehe.
    Originally posted by Andy_Booth
    The description of a 'Punk band' has changed, hasn't it?

hahahahaha yeah, now there's no such thing :rolleyes:
    I knew some people who were "staright edge"......they even had t-shirts saying it..... Thing is I bet half of them didn't even "believe" in it, I think it was just a way of making a statement and saying look at me. i was like..right..am gonna go now and buy a bottle of Malibu...