Home Drink & Drugs
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

question on pot

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
do you (you as in people on the other side of the ocean) call pot different things than us? I've seen posts and stuff where skunk is mentioned as being something great to smoke. And from how I see it, skunk is nothing more than the best of the mediocre. Like if I was given skunk instead of what I like I'd be rightly pissed off. So is the terms different or what?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    skunk is technically a specific breed of cannabis, but is now usually used as a generic term to mean high grade bud.
    Skunk was a breed invented in California if I'm not mistaken.

I know in the US the top end is called Chronic, people wouldnt use that term here. In the main we only call it skunk or green.
    Round here skunk is good weed, proper green.

Is there hash round US, well i'm sure there is but in general what's the hash like over there?
    Originally posted by Shogun

Is there hash round US, well i'm sure there is but in general what's the hash like over there?
    crap!
    weed, skunk, pot, bud, chronic, whacky backy, and the herbal shit/stuff/backy are terms me and my mates use.
    I've actually always been confused by the change in names across the pond. Can anyone tell me if what is referred to as 'chronic' in the US is like the good skunk I smoke over here (Pale, THC-covered delightful little buds), or is it some whole new breed of cannabis not available to us over here?
    Chronic is a slang term for high end skunk, normally hydroponically grown.

Do people still really say 'wacky baccy' I always thought that was one of those rubbish terms no one except teachers use.
    The security guard at my old college used to use it to describe the smell he got whenever he walked past our group in our old smoking area.
    so do you ever use the term nugget?
    over here skunk is a type of weed that stinks like a skunk,seriously,it will fuck you up though. we have hydro which i think is the best gets you pretty high with 2-4 hits off of it i haven't heard anyone call it whacky backey in a long time,teachers use that term. we have chronic over here too,never done that type though
    I have never heard the term nugget and I don't know what it means. But that may not be true for everyone in the UK.
    What does it mean out of interest?
    ah but pretty much any type of pot can be hydroponicaly grown. (correct me if i'm wrong) i wouldn't say it in general is the best, i've had some pretty shitty dro before because it was a shitty plant to begin with. so just to get this straight, this is what i am used to in terms (also, people barely use decent names, just the broadest of termanology) got [shitty] schwag, midis and skunk, all iffy with beaners, then nuggets which is bean free, lighter in color and of the higher quality. of course there are different kinds in there but those are the names given then with some type of description before hand saying more of what it is... does this sound completly odd to anybody else? from reading stuff i would assume it does but where i've gone in the midwest and who i've gotten it from they all use those names quite commonly. so whats it like over there then?
    In my area of the UK we have:

Weed/Grass - can be like dried, dusty stuff or brickweed.
    Hash/Solid/Resin - The brown (in most cases) stuff.
    Skunk/Bud - The buds of the plant. Can be hydro or outdoor grown. Not too much variation in strength, but can sometimes get very very strong stuff.

Words used for all 3 of them are puff, draw, dope etc.

That may not be true for everywhere, I've heard different words used by people from other parts of the UK.
    what exatly do you mean by resin and that group? is it part of the plant? to me resin is the black sticky crap that collects in the bowl/pipe after alot of use. is it the same?
    Think its taken from resin off the plant itself taken off the leaves, then by some process i have been told about countless times but never understood, it is made into stuff which is like brown and solid. We call it hash or solid, resin isnt a word used that often, I was struggling for examples of words I've heard.
    ok, cool. so do you ever use the sticky residue stuff? thanks by the way. i actually find this kinda interesting :/
    Lol, same here. A lot of things I read on the internet about marijuana are on American-based websites, so this is quite useful.

I have never smoked the sticky residue stuff out of a bong. I have heard mixed things about doing that, some people say its good, others say its bad and dirty.
    Originally posted by *ash*n*nick*
    we have hydro which i think is the best

The term "hydro" just refers to the method of growing (hydroponics) not the actual strain of cannabis.
    Any type of cannabis can be grown hydroponically, it just means without soil.

The roots of the plants are in a medium be it volcanic ash or other such porous material and the nutriments are washed round in a water solution. In this way you can give the plant exactly what it wants when it wants it, and because the nutriments are in simple form the plants doesnt have to work to get them.

However, there is some debate as to whether this actually produces a better plant, because by only feeding it the raw chemicals it needs to grow you MAY be neglecting the minor trace elements it would pick up from soil.

Also all hydroponic plants will be grown under lights, which will make the plant grow much faster because they can be on 24hrs. But, they never give the full spectrum of the sun so many people say they dont quite produce the same effect.

Personally the outdoor grown skunk I have had in the past has been better than stuff under lights. Just as tomato's grown outdoors are better than lamp ones. However this difference may have been due more to do with the grower than the method per say.

As for making solid or resin. You get a fine mesh and rub dry buds, leaves etc above it. The resin glands then fall through the mesh and you scrape them all up and press them very hard together.
    I've always heard that skunk grown outdoors is normally better, even when grown over here, which suprised me considering our poor climate.
    I've had English weed which was grown in a green house which was absolutely amazing, but then it was well looked after and picked early to give a nice clean giggly high.

The Hawaian weed I had while there was wierd, very very strong but only lasted about half an hour.

And in South Africa you really only get outdoor grown stuff, its shit leaf, but then at £4 an ounce you cant complain!
    Ah yes, I never made my high school safari trip ot Kenya, but I have heard some amazing stories of ounces and ounces of great quality skunk for a few quid.
    Yeah, I met a bloke in Cape Town who had just come back from the growing region of SA, he was saying if you go up there during harvest you can pick up a kilo for about 25 quid.
    Fuck! think of the profit being made back here if people are using SA.
    I'm not sure you'd really be able to sell it though, it was bog weed and leaf, it wouldnt sell for much about 20-30 an ounce here, if you could find a buyer.

You'd have to import 100's of kilos to make any real profit.

Though they do have good soft SA hash, I'd love to get some more of that.

Shit even nepalese hash was going for £15 an 1/8th there!
    when in S.A look for durban poison ...
    i just got back from magaluff in majorca and the resin we bought over there was very strong, really soft. the looky looky man said it was pollen. nicley blew my head off after a night out on the lash