Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Mature Students

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
Has anyone gone back to uni as a Mature Student? I just want to know what kind of help you get as I've read something about you being entitled to much more financial help if you're over 25 and have supported yourself for more than 3 years. Also aren't they a bit more leniant on what qualifications you need to get on courses? Ta for any help.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Originally posted by Bunnykins
    What are you thinking of applying for?

It's not for me it's for my boyfriend, but it will be some kind of Art & Design course. Basically he had various family problems when he was younger so just about scraped through his GCSEs, then had to drop out of college after a term to get a job so hasn't got any higher qualifications than that. For a design course it should be ok as the emphasis is more on your work anyway. It's just the money issue that's the worry really. I wanna help him sort it out as I know how badly he wants to go, but you know what men are like for getting their arse into gear and actually sorting these things out ;)
    yeah, an art type course will be a lot more dependent on a current portfolio than on past qualifications, especially if it's a vocational type qualification. if he puts a lot of effort into his portfolio and comes up with something really impressive, he shouldn't have any problems.

finance-wise, i'd take a trip to the local careers guidance place, or ring up the LEA. even if they can't give you any answers, they should be able to give you the number of someone who can.
    im going to art college in sept, while i was there i got introduced to a man that is 43, and just finished doing his a level art, he told me as long as you show talent an commitment you'll get in, they were more concerned with my private work than the work for a levels
    Originally posted by Foxxy_Cymru
    im going to art college in sept, while i was there i got introduced to a man that is 43, and just finished doing his a level art, he told me as long as you show talent an commitment you'll get in, they were more concerned with my private work than the work for a levels

Yeah I've done Design at College and Uni and it is more about the portfolio. The thing with a degree course though is that you usually have to have either A Levels or equivalents to get on the course, but I just had a feeling that if you're a mature student that doesn't apply so strictly.

The most important thing though is what money he'd be entitled to but as Kaff suggested I think I'll force him into some careers office lol
    I think you are right though, he will be intitled to lots of different grants, because were encouraged to better ourselves right? I hope it all goes well for him.
    i went back to college at 23 and because i had supported myself for more than three years i could apply for an independants bursary despite still living at home and i got it. it was about £75 a week.
    that was during my first year.

for my second year i got feck all except £3000 worth of debt. there are mature student bursaries but you need certain things to qualify like having kids or owning a home or being married or on benefits etc etc.
    Originally posted by wee wuman
    i went back to college at 23 and because i had supported myself for more than three years i could apply for an independants bursary despite still living at home and i got it. it was about £75 a week. that was during my first year.

Yeah that's what I was thinking of. Even a bit towards our rent would be a bonus. Ta I will see if I can find more info on that now I know what it's called.