Home Drink & Drugs
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Another teen dies from pills

I dont know whether you have heard to story but a 17 year old has died after taking what they think was 11 pills over the course of a day, while drinking alcohol.

Not really surprising yet saddening none the less.

I think we will see the death rate rising while use is staying relatively stable. People are using pills in very dangerous ways now and in higher doses.

What was odd though was the amount they quoted as having in his system.

The Metro said he had an estimated 10,420mg per litre of blood. Now this has to be wrong thats 10g more than enough to kill someone by itself, let alone the rest of his blood.

But it cant be mcg either because that isnt enough to kill him.

Anyone know any better sources on this death?
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Yes it's sad but you have to be pretty stupid to take 11 pills in a day. And that's coming from someone who has taken pills in the past.
  • Options
    So many people do it though dont they, I think we all know people who have taken that much and more.

The drugs education when it comes to pills is shocking, most people have no idea what they are taking, in what dose and what it is doing to them.
  • Options
    JadedJaded Posts: 2,682 Boards Guru
    I found this article on the Independent website, that goes in to a little bit more detail......

I just wish that people would realise after a certain dose, any further pills won't have the desired positive effect, they will just make you sick, and worse.
  • Options
    Again, those figures, they have to be wrong unless he took FAR more than 11 pills.

How many litres of blood does a person have anyway, I know its about 8 pints, what does that work out at?
  • Options
    this one was in Southampton.

The manner in which the local media represented it was reprehensible (sp?).

'£1.50 is the price of death in Southampton' was the tagline :banghead:

Idiots. An ideal opportunity to highlight the real danger of the binge culture we have, and what do they do? Present the outdated and discredited stereotype that 'One pill can kill'. Not that it can't, just that this was not the issue here.

The guy took far too many and this sad story is the result.
  • Options
    Those figures though, he couldnt have taken that much, he physically couldnt have done.

10g is more than enough to top you, how could he have taken multipule times that amount.

There is something very suspect here about all the reports of this, no-one has pointed out these figures MUST be wrong.
  • Options
    It is very sad, I have to admit to taking in excess of 11 pills in a long session in my fuck head stage of life.
  • Options
    Of course there is the point that saying, 'oh I've done X amount of pills' is meaningless really because the strength varies so much.

I think the night I did 3 and 1/2 Star Trek pills was the most MDMA I have done in one go, they were 148mg a piece, it wasnt actually that enjoyable, my vision was totally gone and I couldnt really walk.
  • Options
    Maybe meaningless to some extent. I used to think it was quite easy getting through so many pills though because I used to take them to basically keep me awake and when your up all night and the next day it is very easy. Stopped that now anyway so I deserve a pat on the back :p
  • Options
    I really dont understand how anyone can do that, its bad enough to do speed for that long to keep yourself awake let alone MDMA. Grim.
  • Options
    Thats so sad. It kinda freaks me out too coz thats the same age as me, and although I don't do pills and won't a lot of my friends do, and yeh, its sad :(
  • Options
    He isnt the first and he certainly wont be the last.

I think deaths from pills will be more than 20 this year.
  • Options
    I have noticed a huge lack of respect for the risks of pills amongst users round here. There are stories of people dropping around 20 pills in a night, but the way in which people talk about excessive pill use is like its a joke or something to do if you're bored.

Dropping a pill requires little effort. To drop 3 is the same effort as it takes to drop 1. People need to know more about how powerful this drug can be and the dangers of excessive use. It really does seem like it's getting worse and worse.
  • Options
    Oh certainly, drugs education is a continuing farce and the price has dropped dramaticly in recent years.

I'd say in the last 4-5 years the price in London has gone from between 5-10 each down to between 1-3 pounds each. Thats bound to effect peoples use patterns.

This bloke died of multipule organ failure too which is classic OD of stimulant, you basically rupture from loads of your organs, massive internal bleeding, horrific pain and then...
  • Options
    I don't know how people can do it. I normally start to feel pretty ill and uncomfortable at around 5 pills. 7s been my maximum and tbh i really hated it both at the time and the 2 days after.

People just regard them as cute little discs which will keep them loved up for a few hours. A lot of people also think that if they've successfully taken their first ever pill and not died then they are then free to take as many as they want with no dangers.
  • Options
    Originally posted by SandboxMagician
    A lot of people also think that if they've successfully taken their first ever pill and not died then they are then free to take as many as they want with no dangers.

And that is why I don't want to try it. I'd love it too much. And get carried away. And it'd all end up going wrong as I have very little self-control.
  • Options
    Thats exactly what happened to me. People can say about how great the buzz is, but it's something you can easily live without trying.

I loved pills when I first started taking them and I don't anymore. But I still do pills twice or more a week.

People have told me it's bad for me, I know it's bad for me and I want to stop, but I can't. I'll go out promising myself I won't, but I will. They're shit and I wish I hadn't ever tried them because they're not that brilliant and they're going to fucking kill me. Give it a year and you can have a similar thread about a guy in Croydon who had little self control, dropped one too many pills and topped himself.

If people want to do them they should drop one or two at a rave or somewhere where its worth it and it doesnt become a regular thing.

I still enjoy the little rushy feeling I get off them, but I don't get any kind of happiness off them anymore. Pills should be a very one off thing, not a recreational, everyday drug.

(Sorry, had a few pints and needed to get some shit off my chest)
  • Options
    I'm sorry to hear that, shit twice a week, I've only ever done two sesions in one week a couple of times and it made me feel shite. I couldnt possibly do it week in week out.

The best thing would be not to go out, at least for a couple of weeks, it might be boring but, well, you know it isnt doing you any good.

Good luck.
  • Options
    Don't be sorry SandboxMagician, that's one of the reasons the boards are here! It sounds as though you may have depleted your seratonin a bit too much, with long term use I believe it takes more time to get back to normal levels between each session.

I would recommend you have a browse through
    E is for Ecstasy by Nicholas Saunders (on Erowid) for some more information, and of course on Erowid itself for more detail than theSite's information pages.
  • Options
    Thanks.
    I have considered a visit to my GP over concerns I hqave about both my physical and mental state.
    If I can't quit myself I will try counselling, but that has done very little in the past and doesn't seem to be the right form of treatment for me.
    I would have to give up absolutely everything, not just the pills. The only reason they became a regular thing was when they became a substitute for coke (which I still do sometimes) about half a year ago. I'll only end up replacing them with something equally as harmful.
  • Options
    Theres no harm in discussing it with your GP, he/she may well be able to help you, shit, if they put you on an SSRI you wouldnt get any high from the pills at all and they'd be useless.

But what effect the mix of the two have on the body is another matter, they may well be quite dangerous.
  • Options
    You don't know you will end up replacing them with something else, and it won't hurt to go to your GP, will it? It may hurt a lot less than continuing the way you are.

And just because it hasn't worked in the past doesn't mean counselling isn't for you, as there are multitudes of different approaches and methods, and maybe you are more willing and open to giving up now than in the past.

I'm not trying to hassle you, but you sound like you needed some encouragement!!
  • Options
    It's much appreciated. In the past I had not been at all open in counselling sessions, and didn't treat it with much seriousness at all. But there's no reason I can't at least pay a few visits and see how it goes, I think I'm a lot more serious about it now than I was then.
  • Options
    It's hard to offer any advice other than at least give them a break, you know that though.

A couple of years ago I was the same. Doing them 2 times, sometimes 3 times a week. What changed for me was our dealer packing it in and getting a job at Vernons pools(sign of the times) and my 'pilling' mate moved away to Brighton. I just changed the way I 'did' a weekend. What's the chances of changing your circle of friends, or even tweaking them?

Me and my girlfriend only do pills together and it's only NYE, Ibiza and a couple of big nights out during the year.

Yes, I do coke more regularly than pills but no-ones perfect eh?
  • Options
    I have actually started to visit a different pub for the Euro tournament and slightly altered my circle of mates, but there are still drugs, mainly pills, about within the group.
    I think my main pilling mate is starting to think similarly to me, having been using them as regularly and for the same amount of time as me.
  • Options
    Well then both of you should try and quit together, that way you'll have someone to hang out with while not doing them.

Dont think about it in terms of quiting for ever, just try one week, then two then maybe a month and see how you feel.
  • Options
    Yeah. I'm hoping the improvements in my health will be enough to encourage me to quit longer.
  • Options
    sandboxmagician i know how you feel mate i was like that not so long ago. taken too many, i didnt take them many times thru the week, id say once a week but when i had them i used to do far too many and i didnt even think about moderation. the only way i could quit was to stop hanging round with my main friends and hang around with my other friends who dont do pills. but for me to get off them i had to change my lifestyle, hobbies and how i spent my weekends and i did. ive started goin to the gym, working our regularly. hanging around with mates who dont take pills and smoke cannabis nothing else. started staying with my dad on a weekend. i still think about E's tho and im looking forward to the next time i take them. im gonna buy some 5htp to help with my serotonin. you can do it, just takes time, sacrifices and willpower. btw its been 39 days without pills, it might seem sad for counting but it makes me happier everyday i wakeup and i can add 1 more day to my list of being clean. well take care and good luck if you do get some counselling.

stevie
  • Options
    Good one Stevie, I know its hard for the first while, when I came off speed it was ALL I thought about all the time, but that does gradually change, you find that you havent thought about it in a few hours, a day, a week.

It gets easier.
  • Options
    btw while we're on the subject of pills, does any one know if memory improves if you stay off E's. i really have a shit memory and im scared shitless because i was meant to taking 2 A-Level courses in september but whats the point if i cannot remember. somebody can say something and i can forget it within 3 seconds seriously. i feel like a retard or shall i say an e-tard for having a shit memory, to remember really important things i have to write them down. should i go to the docs or stay clean for more months and see if it gets better????

please please any advice/info/experience needed im so scared im gonna have this terrible memory forever .

thx stevie