Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

attention future parents!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
following on from the recent unusual/stupid names threads...

i found this while doing research into teaching. makes for some interesting reading.

"I usually find that pupils with aberrant spellings/pronunciations of their name are particularly abhorrent: Sian, pronounced 'Sigh-anne', for instance and 'Lorayne' for Lorraine. "

"
I have taught a James Bond, a Victoria Plum and an unfortunate boy who had the last name Mycock. His parents christened him Aaron!!!!! "

and my personal favourite:

"A story I was once told by someone I met at a conference concerned his wife who was a primary teacher in Hull. On the first day of term with her Year 1 class she found she had an extra little boy whose details weren't on her register and whose mother hadn't stayed to give them. She asked him his name,

"Gooey, Miss."

"I beg your pardon"

"Gooey, Miss."

Thinking that the child might have a speech impediment she later asked another one who she had seen come in with the boy if he knew him. Discovering that the children were next door neighbours she asked this little boy what his friend's name was,

"It's Gooey, Miss."

Deciding that this might be a nickname she decided to catch the child's mother when she came to pick him up. Later that day
the mother arrives and the teacher asks her what her son's first name is.

"It's Gooey."

"That's an unusual name isn't it? Can you spell it for me so I can put it in my register?"

"Yeah, it is unusual, innit? I got it from a book. G - u- y, Gooey." "

Comments

• Options
    that's awful, i might read it one day when i've got kids to find stuff about them on there. :o

only good things of course.

'"Nice" kids names for me have been:- Helen, Anna, Lucy, Rebecca, Jenny, Alice. Tom, Sam, Robin, Patrick, Adam & David.'

'Good childrens' names - Greg, Thomas, David, Edward, Cameron, Paige, Lucy, Sophie, Abigail. '

:D

Shame it's not my proper name. :(
  • Options
    My name is Simone and people pronounce it incorrectly, they say Simoan but it is actually pronounced completely differently. This does not make me abhorrent.
  • Options
    Like Siobhan. (sp?)
  • Options
    Originally posted by CheeseOnToast
    Like Siobhan. (sp?)

Yeah, if you say shiv-on, rather than shiv-own (which would rhyme with simoan!)

First person who's ever got it without being told, hehe.
  • Options
    Originally posted by CheeseOnToast
    Like Siobhan. (sp?)

Yeh, see you'd probably pronounce that 'Shevon' or 'Shevorn' or something like that. But then if I'm being silly, you'd probably have to spell my name Loosinda or something.
  • Options
    Mine is Philip..

I get called Phil though, every time I get called or see my own name written, it cracks me up :lol:
  • Options
    also this thread, which is one of the funniest things i've ever read:
    http://www.tes.co.uk/staffroom/thread.asp?staffroomSearchStr=children's%20names&id=18099&threadPage=1&threadID=266911
    My name is Simone and people promounce it incorrectly, they say Simoan but it is actually pronounced completely differently. This does not make me abhorrent.

hence the 'usually', i imagine.
    Like Siobhan.

that's the correct spelling
  • Options
    It's the illiterate parent gene. The other culprits are Kristopher, Kristofer and Kristian(ne). Then there's Jayne, Mathew, Lezley, Symon and not forgetting Abiggale.

Nothing wrong with having a Y in Jayne :p
  • Options
    Originally posted by Faith

Nothing wrong with having a Y in Jayne

that's pointed out to her later. they also go on to say that jaynes are generally nice. ;)
  • Options
    Originally posted by kaffrin
    that's pointed out to her later. they also go on to say that jaynes are generally nice. ;)

hehe that's ok then, Sarah-Jayne's are even better obviously! Thought there must be a comment about double barrelled first names on there somewhere!

ETA: On the other hand, I have taught a lovely Savannah, Sarah-Jayne, Taylor (a girl) and Demi.

That's ok then :)
  • Options
    Thought there must be a comment about double barrelled first names on there somewhere!

not the sensible sounding types (ann-marie, mary-jane) but i believe they do have a pop at the wackier ones.

but, joking aside, it is amazing that teachers from all over the countries have the same names on their hit lists. gotta be something there.
  • Options
    jaynes are generally nice. ;)

:D

there's no 'y' in my name though....
  • Options
    but, joking aside, it is amazing that teachers from all over the countries have the same names on their hit lists. gotta be something there.

And I agree with them totally, the 3 boys next door but 1 are called Liam, Ross and Daniel and they are all horrible!! I definately think that the worst ever girls name is Katrina (any spelling of it!) they are always evil little bitches! lol :yes:
  • Options
    I know a Kyle.. he is definately not a nice person :no:

I also know 2 sophie's, ones really quite, the other well shes the biggest gob on two legs! :p
  • Options
    I definately think that the worst ever girls name is Katrina (any spelling of it!) they are always evil little bitches! lol :yes:

I always thought that too, then I met a nice Katrina and she spoilt my theory. She wasn't just nice, she was so so nice that I couldn't believe there was a nasty bone in her body. But otherwise, yes, I've never met a nice Katrina.
  • Options
    Talking of wacky names, is it just me or do African Americans just seem to make up their own?? If anyone has ever seen enough Jenny Jones or Ricki Lake they'll know what I'm getting at.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Miffy
    Talking of wacky names, is it just me or do African Americans just seem to make up their own?? If anyone has ever seen enough Jenny Jones or Ricki Lake they'll know what I'm getting at.

Yes. My mum and I were talking about this yesterday. My uncle's former brother-in-law has a girl friend called La Toya and she has a kid called Dijounay or something.

And sometimes they will take two perfectly good names and throw them together like Kelindra (Kelly Rowland's name) or Wesliam.

But talk shows have plenty of good examples, yes.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Miffy

I know exactly what you're getting at. They must be made up surely? And the % of white women on those shows named Krystal or something equally as sickening is stupidly high!
  • Options
    i used to get people calling me louisa, not luisa. even here in spain, but not by spanish people...and people spelling luby wrong. loubie, loubi, louby, lubie, lubi, looby, loobi, loobie. i would have thought that Luby was the logical way of spelling it.
  • Options
    Originally posted by luby
    i would have thought that Luby was the logical way of spelling it.

see, i wouldn't. i'd have thought it'd be looby. i don't know why, maybe it's cause my sister calls me it.
  • Options
  • Options
    On a work placement that I did, there was a lad called Dalion. It reminded me of a cross between Dami(o/a)n and Dillon. :eek2:

There was also an Anastacia but she was so sweet and lovely! :yes:
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    I haven't noticed any weird coincidences about peoples' names and their behaviour, or how much I like them. The same names keep appearing in my life, but they're completely different people.
    Though, now that I think about it, both Voula's I've met were supersticious and both outgoing and conservative at the same time...
  • Options
    There was a boy in my old school called Thomas Thomas! Thats pretty evil and he was always on the recieving end of some teasing, even off the teachers!!
  • Options

Nothing wrong with having a Y in Jayne :p

good job you said that, my Daughters is spelt with a Y. I wanted to be different from everyone else :D
  • Options
    Originally posted by BeckyBoo
    good job you said that, my Daughters is spelt with a Y. I wanted to be different from everyone else :D

That was my mum's idea as well. Popular idea too - I've hardly met anyone with a 'Jane' in their name, but so many 'Jayne's you wouldn't believe. :p
  • Options
    Originally posted by 1andonly
    There was a boy in my old school called Thomas Thomas! Thats pretty evil and he was always on the recieving end of some teasing, even off the teachers!!

My nephew's called Thomas Thompson. :crazyeyes

Also my mate has a cousin called Zella (sp?) who's just begging for it. :p
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    there was a boy at my last placement school called robbie robertson :| and 2 placements ago there was a little girl called tallulah. what another crap name.
  • Options
    i've got some pronunciation q's... is andrea pronounced as "undria" or "andraya"? and what about cammy? is it "kamee" or "caymee"? and can you actually pronounce the name "richter" w/out sounding german?

lol thanks!
  • Options
    Christopher = blond hair, blue eyes, butter wouldn't melt in their mouth, little toerags :p
    i.e...my little brother!

Definately agree with the Scotts, Ryans and Kyles!