Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

FEAR, there, and everywhere

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Crime rates have been dropping steadily for decades in countries like the US/UK, but people are still shit scared to walk down the road at night.........fear levels have gone up...........why is this?

the goddamn media (this is especially true in the US but also here) constantly chooses to report the nasty minority and make out that we should all lock our doors, and in america's case, have a loaded gun under your pillow...........this is madness, the world is a very safe place if you think about it, and the statistical chances of something happening to you is quite low...........i live in the sticks where i know all my neighbours, no danger, yet we lock the door at night!............most people take this for granted, but in canada most dont bother, because their govt and media is not trying to scare the shit out of them, making it easier to control the mass population.............through FEAR! who's afraid? and why?

Comments

• Options
    0MFGOSH WROGN FORUM LOL!!1!11
  • Options
    Smokin weed most probs.. and the whole urban legend scene..

Word of mouth makes it feel like everywhere is dangerous these days..
  • Options
    You would probably be better posting the topic in the Politics & Debate forum.
  • Options
    Unfortunately, the media will always go for the tactic that will get the most people involved, invoke emotion etc, for viewing figures and profit. Theres not much we can really do about it...
  • Options
    cos its still blooming dangerous. in my little town (i mean the town not london) there were 12 girls raped in one month.

you're telling me that's safe?
  • Options
    The one aspect I feel quite strongly about is child kidnappings / murders etc. Children are more likely to be harmed or killed by someone they know than a stranger yet the media would have us believe otherwise.

People need to wake up and start making their own decisions.
  • Options
    aye i could've posted it in p+d but those guys are pretty clued up, and i wanted the average joe's opinion, no offense............

paperB, dunno where u live but i'd get out.........the place i live i havent heard of any violence whatsoever, but we lock our doors all the same........i dunno why.

and people don't base their fears on the facts, they base it on what the media tells them, because we trust the media to fairly represent the facts, but clearly they dont and here the problem lies........

exactly, they hype up children kidnappings for instance, and say dont let your kids out, be careful, cautious, stick a tracker on them, in fact if you dont have eyes in the back of your head your likely to get fucked up the arse! that is the vibe i get off the news more or less........and its total bollocks!

u watch the american news and its even more pathetic, bush scaring the americans with anthrax attacks, killer bees, terrorists everywhere, and they're gonna blow you up! its complete shite......people are too scared to just live their lives over there, they hide in their houses, stuffing their faces, scared into mass-consumerism, i find that more scary than a sweaty paedophile in a park.
  • Options
    aye i could've posted it in p+d but those guys are pretty clued up, and i wanted the average joe's opinion, no offense............

paperB, dunno where u live but i'd get out.........the place i live i havent heard of any violence whatsoever, but we lock our doors all the same........i dunno why.

and people don't base their fears on the facts, they base it on what the media tells them, because we trust the media to fairly represent the facts, but clearly they dont and here the problem lies........

exactly, they hype up children kidnappings for instance, and say dont let your kids out, be careful, cautious, stick a tracker on them, in fact if you dont have eyes in the back of your head your likely to get fucked up the arse! that is the vibe i get off the news more or less........and its total bollocks!

u watch the american news and its even more pathetic, bush scaring the americans with anthrax attacks, killer bees, terrorists everywhere, and they're gonna blow you up! its complete shite......people are too scared to just live their lives over there, they hide in their houses, stuffing their faces, scared into mass-consumerism, i find that more scary than a sweaty paedophile in a park.
  • Options
    Originally posted by apollo_69
    it is a very middle classy sub-urb. nowt worse than any other place.