Home Drink & Drugs
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Frank in Private Eye.

There is an article about Talk to Frank in Private Eye which I thought you might like to read;

The governments much hyped drugs awareness campaign, “Talk to Frank”, is frankly, nonsense.
According to drug experts, the website which aims to give teenagers, parents and carers information and advice is littered with errors – some of which could put users are risk.
For example, on GHB (gamma hydroxybutrate), which was developed as an anaesthetic, it says: “A teaspoon or a capful is a normal dose…a small capful has a euphoric effect that makes users feel happy, sensual and uninhibited”. Expect GHB can be dissolved in very little water, so with some mixes a teaspoon could be an overdose.
On 2CBs and 2C-T-7, often sold as ecstasy but with a more hallucinogenic effect, it says: “Sold as white powder or tiny 5mg pills. Most people take several at a time and effects can last from 4 to 8 hours.” Except as drug workers warn, the strengths of the pill can be very different and taking multiple pills of unknown quantity is extremely risky. Nowhere does the site give advice about options to test what is in a pill.
On its one-arm bandit “game” about mixing drugs, it suggests under the combination of mixing cocaine with alcohol, “some people set themselves the rule of only one alcoholic drink per line.”
Often the information is simply meaningless. On mixing cocaine and LSD is states: “No point at all.” A more informative reply might point out that stimulating the central nervous system with cocaine might not be cleaver thing to do when taking an hallucinogen.
The list of mistakes and misleading advice supplied to the Eye, and confirmed by other experts, is lengthy. Shame the government didn’t give the £3m to those drug workers and agencies who know what they are doing.
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Hahaha, nice !!
  • Options
    Re: Frank in Private Eye.
    Originally posted by bongbudda
    There is an article about Talk to Frank in Private Eye which I thought you might like to read;

The governments much hyped drugs awareness campaign, “Talk to Frank”, is frankly, nonsense.
    According to drug experts, the website which aims to give teenagers, parents and carers information and advice is littered with errors – some of which could put users are risk.
    For example, on GHB (gamma hydroxybutrate), which was developed as an anaesthetic, it says: “A teaspoon or a capful is a normal dose…a small capful has a euphoric effect that makes users feel happy, sensual and uninhibited”. Expect GHB can be dissolved in very little water, so with some mixes a teaspoon could be an overdose.
    On 2CBs and 2C-T-7, often sold as ecstasy but with a more hallucinogenic effect, it says: “Sold as white powder or tiny 5mg pills. Most people take several at a time and effects can last from 4 to 8 hours.” Except as drug workers warn, the strengths of the pill can be very different and taking multiple pills of unknown quantity is extremely risky. Nowhere does the site give advice about options to test what is in a pill.
    On its one-arm bandit “game” about mixing drugs, it suggests under the combination of mixing cocaine with alcohol, “some people set themselves the rule of only one alcoholic drink per line.”
    Often the information is simply meaningless. On mixing cocaine and LSD is states: “No point at all.” A more informative reply might point out that stimulating the central nervous system with cocaine might not be cleaver thing to do when taking an hallucinogen.
    The list of mistakes and misleading advice supplied to the Eye, and confirmed by other experts, is lengthy. Shame the government didn’t give the £3m to those drug workers and agencies who know what they are doing.
    i know you've been giving them grief bong ...good on yer. keep it up.
  • Options
    Someone I know has been working on there website. Apparently they really are clueless idiots.
  • Options
    They may as well just have a big picture of Mr Macky (or whatever) off Southpark with a caption saying "Drugs are bad kids, mmmmmmmmmmkay"

haha
  • Options
    it's good that there are people like bong to set the record straight. keep it up bong! and stop bosting
  • Options
    Oh, it wasnt me who wrote it, I'd be a lot more pleased about it if it was, trust me, you would have been told many times over if I'd written it.
  • Options
    found it :)

shame the article won't make it to the more mainstream press.

maybe those that inspired it should try the same with the guardian...
  • Options
    I think they might have done already, and the Independant too, maybe they should try again.
  • Options
    Originally posted by bongbudda
    I think they might have done already, and the Independant too, maybe they should try again.
    have you invited them here?
  • Options
    This is a public place, they might be here already.