Home Drink & Drugs
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

ibpogaine

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
yes the moneys on me having spelt it wrong!
see the programme on telly the other night?
a powerful and all natural halucinagenic plant substance now being used to cure all addictions from gambling to crack.
you havre one session you are no longer addicted.
i think they are claiming a 100% sucsess rate.
the guy was dosed and started freaking out a little bit. a minder/companion on hand twenty four hrs about three days long.
is gently explained to this guy who's mind is going places its never before been ...that over the next 72 hrs he will be taking 15 times that ammount.
he was a camera man with addiction problems ...the crew filmed it all ...i think i must be old skool but i'd rather cold turkey than go where that guy had to.
if you get a chance to watch this thing do so.

Comments

• Options
    Sounds it could help some people,not everyone can go cold turkey.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Shogun
    Sounds it could help some people,not everyone can go cold turkey.
    you gotta see this thing. at your age i can well understand you'd go for the trip ...and some serious shit going down with this ibogaine stuff.
    but i've done all the tripping i can handle thankyou so i'd go cold.
    powerful stuff.
    when you see the guy recover ...you'll understand why he doesn't suddenly get into this newfound hit!
    old african tribal shaminism drug thing ...i'll have to look it up cos i can't even remember what the show was called or when it was on ...
  • Options
    JadedJaded Posts: 2,682 Boards Guru
    Ibogaine I think you will find Mr Roll! Here is Erowid's page on it for those that want to know more....
  • Options
    Fuck, thats one of the heaviest trips you can do, up there easily with DOM and DOB as very very serious.

The problem being that it also can stop you moving at all, so you have all the effects of a heavy DOM hit but your unable to move.

Very wierd.

I think if it was used to treat addictions it would either make or break. Either you'd have some fantastic breakthrough and be cured for ever. Or it would totally fuck you.
  • Options
    we don't really have a good history in the use of one drug to cure an addiction to another, do we?

so as bb says it would be make or break.

lots of people i have worked with go cold, as they feel they can own what they have done and didn't have to rely on another chemical. how long they last after though is another story and another thread...
  • Options
    It can be successful. I've heard very good reports about MDMA being used in therapy and sometimes 2CB.

Also I heard about drug treatment centre which is for cocaine. Its based in Brazil I think.

Basically you go out into the jungle with a Shamen guide and spend two weeks out there purging, meditating etc. You then have an oral DMT trip there with the Shamen.

You then come back and see a fully trained mental health worker and you talk through all the issues that were brought up by the experience.

Now the individual I heard interviewed said;

"I saw and talked with God, after that everything was in perspective."

Now, obviously this may well have been just a trip, OR he may well have actually spoken to God. Either way it helped him.

Drug treatment for addiction can be useful, but it has to be managed very tightly.
  • Options
    sure, I was thinking more on a historical basis and the use of cocaine as a treatment for heroin addiction, diamorphine for morphine addiction...
    i know we have moved on a bit since then, and if things are managed then it can work. that perhaps is the biggest problem, not getting people of the drugs, but helping them put their lives back together after. and no drug can really sort that out
  • Options
    Oh certainly, drug treatments alone are very unlikely to work because the person will slip back into old habits far too easily.

Did you know they trialed the use of injections of methamphetamine at one point in the UK to cure heroin addiction. Truely a wise idea! Its the only case in the UK of a drug being introduced into the market then withdrawn and no black market following.
  • Options
    Originally posted by bongbudda
    The problem being that it also can stop you moving at all, so you have all the effects of a heavy DOM hit but your unable to move.

the guy indeed couldn't move. he was ashen. he was fearful. he was dying. he died and became reborn ...that bit scared me a little.
    it took him a week to recover ...after three days away from the experiens he managed to walk to the bathroom and have a shave ...it was another couple of days before his legs were strong enough to carry him outside.
    a must see docu.
  • Options
    When was this on, sounds very interesting. I'll see if they repeat it at all.
  • Options
    it was on bbc 2 last week, and this is the link to it: http://www.bbc.co.uk/health/programmes/onelife_b7.shtml
  • Options
    Originally posted by dave_lcfc
    it was on bbc 2 last week, and this is the link to it: http://www.bbc.co.uk/health/programmes/onelife_b7.shtml
    thanks dave ...if it is on repeat ...watch it. very interesting. not exciting but very interesting.
  • Options
    Cheers for that, I'll keep an eye open for it.